Join Early Retirement Today
Old 06-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by jimsim View Post
That ignores the fact that the broad equity indices lost money over the decade just ended. People have ignored that the Nasdaq has been in a bear market since its 5,000+ peak in March, 2000. Similarly, as of last Friday, the SP500 is still off 484, or 30.7% from its former peak of 1,576.09.

The market will continue to claw its way upwards until people realize that there are other things that they can put their money into, and that the market has become artificially inflated. It will continue to be volatile and troubled. I still have a 15% loss on the preferred stocks I bought in 2008, $41,000, even after offsetting the almost 2 years of dividends I have received, not counting the tax I have paid on the income.
Right, you first set of stats don't include dividends.

The 2nd worst stock market over a 2 year period in history and you're only down 15%. May I suggest CDs if you don't like losing money over a short
term period.

teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2010, 09:16 PM   #42
Confused about dryer sheets
OK, I think I'm done here... jheezh!

jimsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Grangaard's Strategy
Old 02-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #43
Confused about dryer sheets
Grangaard's Strategy

Originally Posted by renferme View Post
Grangaard's strategy allows for the flexibility of increasing or decreasing the number of years in the ladders, but he thinks that 10 years is the optimum.

If I use his method, part of my ladder will be income paying stocks, even though he wants fixed securities in the ladders.

The scary part for me is, say I use his 50-50 example, putting 50% into stocks for the stock part of the system.
For that part of the system, I would be using my 401k.
So the money would be in Vanguard funds, probably the Institutional Index and Windsor funds. Could also use their Explorer fund, but have never liked it.
I have control over my income paying stocks, but have no control over the Vanguard funds.

Would like to read Lucia's book, but it's $30 !!! Maybe the library has it.
How did this work out for you?
Skinny Ginny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Skinny Ginny1 View Post
How did this work out for you?
Since that post was made 9 years ago and the poster hasn't been on the forum since 2007, I think it unlikely you'll get an answer.
Numbers is hard.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
This sounds great! Please send your buckets of money, insured, via FedEx, and I will be eternally grateful.

haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #46
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This sounds great! Please send your buckets of money, insured, via FedEx, and I will be eternally grateful.

Of course, you'll want that sent Express rather than FedEx Ground, isn't that right?
Only got A dimple, would have preferred 2!
Gotadimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:49 AM   #47
The buckets approach is just a chronological way of looking at a sensible asset allocation.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." - Spock
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52
Target AA: 70% equity funds / 28% TIAA-Traditional/ 2% cash
Target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension, rent, and eventually SS
nun is offline   Reply With Quote