Join Early Retirement Today

Buckle your seat belts, hitch up your drawers...
Old 01-27-2008, 11:28 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Buckle your seat belts, hitch up your drawers...

The market in Asia is stinking up a storm. At the moment Hang Sing is down over 4.7, Japan 3.7, AU isn't open yet.

Lucia's buckets looking better all the time.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2008, 11:32 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

On Monday, sometimes Asia is just following the US move on Friday. A better indicator is the futures market, which currently suggests that the DOW will open down 135 on Monday.

Bloomberg.com: Futures
Old 01-27-2008, 11:59 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Twaddle is right. And Australia won't open today as it is Australia Day. Also, they are 3 hours ahead of HK/Sing, so they would have been open by now. Just thought you'd like to know...
Old 01-28-2008, 09:23 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
On Monday, sometimes Asia is just following the US move on Friday. A better indicator is the futures market, which currently suggests that the DOW will open down 135 on Monday.

Bloomberg.com: Futures
So far, so good - - it was down a little earlier, but it's up 23 at the moment.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

An up DOW surprised me this am. If the economic data looks good the Fed may not lower rates as the market expects.... and then, who knows.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:40 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
An up DOW surprised me this am. If the economic data looks good the Fed may not lower rates as the market expects.... and then, who knows.
It's hard not to be surprised with this crazy market! It has sure had some moments of surprising volatility.

Maybe the Fed will just take it down one tiny tweak (0.25%) or maybe not. I'd really be surprised if they took it down more than that. But then, surprise and befuddlement seem to be my normal market reactions for the past couple of weeks.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:41 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Maybe the Fed will just take it down one tiny tweak (0.25%) or maybe not. I'd really be surprised if they took it down more than that. But then, surprise and befuddlement seem to be my normal market reactions for the past couple of weeks.
I read one finance article today saying that the market has priced in a 0.50% drop, and that too little and the market would throw a hissy fit and drop, too much and the market would think there's more to worry about and drop. So it sounded like the market wants 0.50%, no more, no less.

I'm leaving alone whether it's right or good for the market folks to be asking or telling the Fed Reserve crew what to do.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I read one finance article today saying that the market has priced in a 0.50% drop, and that too little and the market would throw a hissy fit and drop, too much and the market would think there's more to worry about and drop. So it sounded like the market wants 0.50%, no more, no less.

I'm leaving alone whether it's right or good for the market folks to be asking or telling the Fed Reserve crew what to do.

2Cor521
Well you're right, you know! They really have no right to be doing that.

I wonder if the market really would react like that, or if that is just what financial columnists, reporters, and journalists saying. Guess we'll find out.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:37 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, Asian markets seems to like developments in the US from yesterday (Monday). Markets are up generally, with the Hang Seng up 2.75% as of 10.30 am HK time. In reference to MMND momentum investing philosophy, if you are invested in HK, you get participation whether you like it or not.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:00 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Buckle your seat belts, hitch up your drawers....

Because we're on a rollercoaster!

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote