Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-29-2015, 08:51 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We used bonuses for vacations/cars/home projects. Raises typically were used to increase savings rate.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2015, 09:51 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
Those of you saying all toward FIRE: why did you choose that? Were you in a job you hated or disliked strongly?
We saved the vast majority of bonuses/raises to meet a FIRE goal by a certain age, which was 100% of the gravy in the years after the 2008/9 crash. In other years, we splurged a little bit. This enabled us to meet our FIRE goal despite the setback of the crash.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:33 AM   #23

I'm a somewhat religious (obsessive??) budgeter. When I get "found money" I roughly divide it into 3: 1/3 back to house finance funds, 1/3 pure fun (for me, that might include running race fees or a toy for one of my bikes), and 1/3 to vacation fund.
I'm not that exact about it, but it's the general approach I take.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:59 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
I'm a somewhat religious (obsessive??) budgeter. When I get "found money" I roughly divide it into 3: 1/3 back to house finance funds, 1/3 pure fun (for me, that might include running race fees or a toy for one of my bikes), and 1/3 to vacation fund.
I'm not that exact about it, but it's the general approach I take.
Is the house finance fund for repairs or a new place or what?

What about before you retired?
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:19 PM   #25

Quote:
Is the house finance fund for repairs or a new place or what?

What about before you retired?
"House finance" for us basically means retaining it for either repairs/repair fund (like I said, I'm a diligent budgeter) or just into savings for later withdrawals. My mortgage was paid off several years before retirement, but when I had a mortgage I always applied some of the found money to making an extra payment to principal.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:41 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We just saved any extra income.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:34 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Those of you saying all toward FIRE: why did you choose that? Were you in a job you hated or disliked strongly?

If I were to spend any gravy, it would be toward renting (leasing) a second home somewhere warm and it would be less than a quarter of the gravy and relatively easy to undo (yearly lease).
I kept my graduate student standard of living for 25 years after finishing school and working full time. True I didn't like my job before I reached FI, but that wasn't the main reason. Right after I hired in we took several waves of layoffs, so I never had a budget or a plan to reach FI, just an urgent need to cover an expected loss of income.

In retrospect panic mode wasn't necessary as my employer slowly turned the corner and is now in a solid position. But no regrets, I certainly wouldn't want to trade places with another middle-aged engineer who partied hard early in life and now needs his paycheck.
dunkelblau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:47 PM   #28

We bought a cabin in the mountains 5 years ago....

Still plan to retire as originally planned in 11 years.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:21 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaudrey View Post
We bought a cabin in the mountains 5 years ago....

Still plan to retire as originally planned in 11 years.
I imagine if you had invested/saved the money for the cabin instead it would have cut your date down at least a year or two. Has it been worth it?
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:35 PM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe

Me and DW have applied this "extra" to the slush fund. We use it for home improvement and other items that aren't budgeted but we want. We also noted that saving the little extra would not really decrease the amount of time to get to FI significantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
hitnuggs is offline   Reply With Quote