Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #241
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think I'm gonna puke. I just finished my taxes today.

Result: Fuego's Education and now ER, courtesy of The Rambler household.

Yes there is "a program". But, it is unethical and immoral for someone to not repay ANY debt, just like borrowing your neighbor's lawnmower and never returning it. I really think I am going to be sick. It's crap like this that it killing our country. Scheist, why should I even work (and thus pay taxes) when all it does is support freeloaders?

Gonna go upchuck now.

R

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2011, 09:03 AM   #242
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I think I'm gonna puke. I just finished my taxes today.

Result: Fuego's Education and now ER, courtesy of The Rambler household.

Yes there is "a program". But, it is unethical and immoral for someone to not repay ANY debt, just like borrowing your neighbor's lawnmower and never returning it. I really think I am going to be sick. It's crap like this that it killing our country. Scheist, why should I even work (and thus pay taxes) when all it does is support freeloaders?

Gonna go upchuck now.

R
That's why I'm not really interested in working any more either. I have about as much interest as you do in paying for other people's educations. I never asked to have our government extract this wealth from you in order to redistribute it to people who work less hard (like me).

I wonder if there would be an equal amount of disgust about the non-repayment of loans if I said I plan to ER in 10 years and have all this debt forgiven using the public service loan forgiveness program. I wouldn't pay a penny under that plan either, as long as my wife stopped working immediately.

I don't want to get too political, but I find all these loopholes, credits, set asides, deductions, special interest programs, etc to be loathsome. Frequently they are disincentives to hard work (in two senses - 1: obviating the need for hard work by giving out free money, and 2: taking a big chunk of the paycheck you get from working).

edited to add: I really do feel sorry for people in your situation. You bust your a$s working hard, away from the comforts of your home country. You make personal sacrifices to increase your income, and then the government confiscates your wealth (at the point of a gun if you don't pay your taxes) to give it away willy nilly. I don't mean to be trite, this is really my feelings. It is the reason I took the low road and avoided working hard just to give away much of my hard earned wealth.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:27 AM   #243
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
. I really think I am going to be sick. It's crap like this that it killing our country. Scheist, why should I even work (and thus pay taxes) when all it does is support freeloaders?

Gonna go upchuck now.

R

Most of us pay our debts so we can look ourselves in the mirror and feel good . Plus we want our kids to know that just because you can do something doesn't make it right . Are we at ER poisoning our youth so that they think retirement is the garden of Eden and will do anything to reach it ? It's just life without work .
Old 04-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #244
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Most of us pay our debts so we can look ourselves in the mirror and feel good . Plus we want our kids to know that just because you can do something doesn't make it right . Are we at ER poisoning our youth so that they think retirement is the garden of Eden and will do anything to reach it ? It's just life without work .
Hey, you're pretty wealthy. Why not just forgo SS and medicare when it is your turn? You don't need it after all, since you have a lot more than most other folks in this country. The last thing you want to do is make the younger generation think that you are taking advantage of social welfare programs that you don't really need.

And I AM repaying the debt, pursuant to some zany government program that makes payments lower if your income is lower. I don't make the rules, I just follow them. I can honestly look in the mirror and feel good about paying these loans pursuant to the income based repayment plan.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:21 AM   #245
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Hey, you're pretty wealthy. Why not just forgo SS and medicare when it is your turn? You don't need it after all, since you have a lot more than most other folks in this country. The last thing you want to do is make the younger generation think that you are taking advantage of social welfare programs that you don't really need.

I paid into SS & medicare for forty years that is a lot different than what you are doing .
Old 04-14-2011, 10:34 AM   #246

After many pages of discussing budgets and expenses this has now gone well off the tracks so I'm closing the thread.

Closed Thread

Tags
budget, expense, track