Buffett: Bonds the Most Dangerous of Assets

It appears to me that Berkshire has outperformed the S&P 500 over the last 10 years.

XOM has done better still.

As a shareholder of both, I hope the outperformance continues. :)

The problem, just like any investing, is that past performance does not assure future performance....

Looking at the few stocks I did, BRK did not perform nearly as well over the last 10 or so years as other stocks... so someone who invested 10 years ago would have been better investing somewhere else (XOM as an example)...

And, BRK has gotten big... big means it is hard to beat the market... so why not just buy the market... IOW, as a new investor buying today, where do you want to put your money:confused: In BRK or somewhere else...

It appears to me that Berkshire has outperformed the S&P 500 over the last 10 years.

XOM has done better still.

As a shareholder of both, I hope the outperformance continues. :)

This site is pretty neat... I did BRK vs SPY and it appears that they are about the same from about June of 2002 to today... sliding the date shows ups and downs for both...

So, the extra gain was in the first 4 months of the decade... sliding the date show both ups and downs, but if you had bought in June 2002 it would not make a difference...

Can someone show me that this chart included dividends? I have looked and can not find a reference that these charts do include dividends... and if they are considered reinvested or not...

Can someone show me that this chart included dividends? I have looked and can not find a reference that these charts do include dividends... and if they are considered reinvested or not...

Not sure about re-investing (though I'd assume so, but confidence factor is low) - but I did compare the GNMA fund VFIIX charts on yahoo and that site, and yahoo shows about flat (NAV only), and that site showed a steady increase (from divs ~ 4%). Yahoo historical adjusted tables (no chart) assumes re-investing, so you could run some math on that versus the chart to verify it. (and report back if you do, please).

-ERD50

The problem, just like any investing, is that past performance does not assure future performance....

Looking at the few stocks I did, BRK did not perform nearly as well over the last 10 or so years as other stocks... so someone who invested 10 years ago would have been better investing somewhere else (XOM as an example)...

And, BRK has gotten big... big means it is hard to beat the market... so why not just buy the market... IOW, as a new investor buying today, where do you want to put your money:confused: In BRK or somewhere else...

Well, I agree. I wasn't trying to sell everyone here on the BRK idea going fwd. The one poster was trying to tell us he (?) would have rather been in Wellesley over BRK any period of time referring to historical returns. I just I'd chime in and post the returns Buffet has managed to produce over the life of BRK. I think his returns via BRK are impressive by any measure although only here can you find people calling 20ish% annualized returns over several decades overrated.

If Buffet wasn't so old and was willing to manage a few million privately from the people here on the board, I'd say put your money there :)

Back
Top Bottom