Join Early Retirement Today

Buffett's $1,000,000 Bet -- S&P 500 will beat hedge funds after fees
Old 06-09-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Buffett's $1,000,000 Bet -- S&P 500 will beat hedge funds after fees

Warren Buffett recently bet an ambitious hedge fund operator $1 million that they won't beat the returns of S&P 500 after their extremely hefty fees are accounted for. Buffett claims investors will do as well with a no-load index fund over the ten years of the bet. He has long been critical of the performance claims of hedge funds, and his bet is intended to put his money where his mouth is.

Conceptual Trends and Current Topics

He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2008, 02:13 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Any bets on whether he'll still be around in 10 years? All it would take is one great year for the hedge fund to win. One of the owners of the MN. Wild hockey team is a hedge fund mgr. He shorted the sub-prime mkt. and made 1.8 billion. It would be tough for the S&P to beat that.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A million bucks for Warren isnt much of a bet...

I'm sure one or two hedge funds knock the skin off the ball every year. Just not sure its going to do it two years out of ten, or that I can figure out which one is going to be the lucky winner this year...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #4

I wonder more if hedge funds will be around in 10 years.

They are the classic case where the professionals running the investment make millions and sometimes billions of dollars only to find out later that the operation is a semi-scam.

Over the long-term it is difficult to keep a "durable competitive advantage" in anything.

There have been many cases where a blockbuster performance is followed by a bone-crushing crash, and I think this hedge fund phenomena will be the next big fad to get clobbered in the next 10 years.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:40 PM   #5

Is wagering now legal in Omaha?

Quote:
Warren Buffett recently bet

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:45 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
Any bets on whether he'll still be around in 10 years? All it would take is one great year for the hedge fund to win. One of the owners of the MN. Wild hockey team is a hedge fund mgr. He shorted the sub-prime mkt. and made 1.8 billion. It would be tough for the S&P to beat that.

Yea.... but he did that on his own... not through a fund who takes 30% to 50% of the profits and none of the losses.... (I made this up for anyone about to take my head off )
Old 06-09-2008, 03:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
A million bucks for Warren isnt much of a bet...
And it's in future dollars, and he only put up half of the amount necessary to reach a mill in ten year ($360K), the hedge fund put up the other half.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Is wagering now legal in Omaha?
The details of the article say it's for charity.

I think the hedgies made a brilliant publicity ploy here, and they don't have to care who wins since they're going to pay for it out of the shareholder expenses marketing budget. Either way they'll be swamped with dumb money eager accredited investors clamoring to get their part of the alpha.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:16 AM   #9

Buffett's bet is essentially the same argument we've had for years about index funds versus actively-managed funds. It's actually a better bet than that, since hedge funds do take on more risk and take more of the profits.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #10

I suspect Buffett might think the hedgies have too much money in overvalued and bubblicious holdings (oil and other commodity futures, anyone?), and may suspect they're in for a rough patch when the bubble pops and a weak economy continues to erode demand for commodities.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #11

What surprised me was that Buffet said he was only 60% sure he would win the bet. That is a fairly strong vote of confidence in that particular hedge fund, even though I'm sure that was not his intention.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:13 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now View Post
What surprised me was that Buffet said he was only 60% sure he would win the bet. That is a fairly strong vote of confidence in that particular hedge fund, even though I'm sure that was not his intention.
Well, hedge funds have an advantage in down markets (they can short, or simply stay in cash), and Buffett is not overly optimistic about the medium term performance of any economy. Also, he has absolutely nothing to gain from predicting a higher success rate.

In any case, this bet will at least bring hedge fund fees to the forefront of the debate. The more investors are aware of fees, the better they'll be.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:54 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Most of you are missing the point of hedge funds. They are supposed to be set up to buffer the holders from wild swings up and down. They sacrifice some return for the insurance they won't be killed in a really bad year.

Just because some so-called hedge funds made insane bets on leveraged securities doesn't mean they all operate that way.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:54 PM   #14

The name "hedge fund" seems to be more of a historical vestige than an actual description of how most of these "hedge funds" invest today. Most seem to use leverage to increase their exposure to the market (whether long or short) rather than to limit exposure. The hedge funds will claim that their special abilities to time the market will keep them ahead. It works well until it stops working.