Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-13-2015, 04:28 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It is also fair to say (ie. accurate) that you are on the hook for whatever she decides, whether you signed the contract or not. A married couple is an economic unit, her debts are your debts. You could always hock that ermine coat.
Failing to sign was only symbolic from the get-go.

You can have my ermine coat when you pry it from my cold, dead hands!
Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2015, 05:06 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ours ended up being only 116% of budget, including some conscious splurges along the way (like the spa tub DW insisted on that has been hardly used ), so I was pretty happy. If we had been 200% like the OP I would have had a cow too.

I played GC so it doesn't count any of my effort getting bids for the subcontractors and coordinating their work with the main builder (carpenter). We also did all the priming and painting so that saved some money too but the original budget anticipated that we would do the priming and painting.

I would have been hesitant to hand over everything to a GC though some friends of ours did that and were 1500 miles away the entire time their house was being built and it all came out good.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:27 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
If we had been 200% like the OP I would have had a cow too.
Just to be clear, the house we are building is currently at about 200% of the price of the used homes we were looking at before deciding to build, which most importantly means we were not making and apples to apples comparison in deciding to build new.

The house we are building is at 143% of the original contract price (and will likely be finished very near to this), about 50% of the increase because of upgrades and about 50% because of necessary things left out of the contract.
Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:35 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

My bad, I misread your OP.

I think you'll find that like many other things, time heals all wounds, and in a year or two all this stress will be long forgotten and you'll be enjoying your new home.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:40 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

So, only 21% increase of the planned cost is due to overlooked items, the rest is to make your wife happy. Ah, it's really small in the bigger picture of life. For example, I am sure you have "lost" more than that in your investments in past years, and that did not kill you.

Let it go, man. You still have your ermine coat, what more does a guy need?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:09 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We contracted and built our current home. I designed it using a $35 piece of software. We met with the builder, he suggested we use a 'plans' drawer rather than an architect. Cost $200! After reviewing the plans he estimated $275,000 to build the home. (right at 3,000 sq.ft, four bedrooms, three and a half baths) That was in line with our estimates.

He charged us $25,000 flat fee for his services, included in the above price. He furnished receipts for everything. While we applied for interim finance, he used his money until a week before we were due to close. Then took less than $50,000 to keep the bank happy. Saved us a bunch of interest.

Home was built on schedule and under budget! We are still friends with the contractor and have been his guest at several Astro's games. In the ten years we have lived here, there have been a couple of minor things needing repair. His warranty, lifetime! His lifetime! "As long as I'm alive, I fix anything my contractors did that goes wrong!" and he has lived by this.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote