Join Early Retirement Today

Building on the dividends thread
Old 05-07-2005, 12:30 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Building on the dividends thread

I have this question that is burning me up. Does it make sense to own value and blend mutual funds or value and growth mutual funds collectively? For example, Vanguard S&P 500 with Vanguard Large Value Index? Both have similar holdings but the Value Index pays more in dividends and some research indicates value outperforms on a risk-adjusted basis. I am sure you can lower the standard dev of a portfolio by holding both but at what cost & is it worth a lower return? Good move or bad move?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Building on the dividends thread
Old 05-07-2005, 02:32 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Technical analysis shows that small cap value and to a lesser degree, large and mid cap value outperform growth and blend funds while producing a higher dividend. In some instances (the late 90's for example) growth did beat up on value for a short period of time. It could be said (with some qualifiers) that most of the large cap growth 'runs' werent terribly healthy ones. The tech run in the 90's, the 'nifty 50' etc.

Bernstein covered this phenomena in "the four pillars". Basically good growth stocks dont often remain good growth stocks for long, while good value stocks frequently stay 'value' based, the stock price is beaten down, their prospects are usually better than the stock price indicates, and if all else fails they're paying you to own the stock. His synopsys: good stocks are bad to own, bad stocks are good to own.

You will experience more volatility, higher current income from the dividends (and the tax those represent), but higher longer term (10+ years) growth of your money. You are usually best off owning these in volume (as in a fund) rather than hand picking, although some people like Unclemick like holding a dozen or so value/dividend paying stocks either directly purchased via drips or in a brokerage account. Indexes also beat actively managed in 99% of cases.

For some people, their best bet for long term growth of capital is to dial up large, mid and small cap value in whatever ratios appeal to you, drop in some foreign value (which is also beating foreigh blend/growth), some emerging market (which is ALL 'value'!) with about 20% in bonds and cash to act as ballast.

There are some other strategies to enhance the benefits of value without throwing out the growth. Charlie uses the "coffee house" approach, and he can probably explain it better but it involves buying equal amounts of stocks at all the four corners of the 'style boxes'...equal chunks of large cap value, large cap growth, small cap value and small cap growth. Balance frequently.

A lot of people also tend to throw out mid caps. Note that a lot of the vanguard board members have a signficant, if not majority, of their portfolio in funds like Windsor. They claim that this actively managed, mostly 'large mid cap/small large cap' fund, is still in their pocket because they dont want to incur the tax hit from selling it and moving their money to the well espoused broad indexes. I doubt that...I think they have their money there because the long term numbers are frickin great.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 03:16 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Very informative reply, thanks TH. You may have earned a T-shirt with the Monty Python guy on it. I have been asking myself why I don't throw all of my money into the value index funds, especially since I have a very long investment horizon. As you said the times when the blend or growth outperform the value seem to be short-lived and unhealthy.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:25 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

To get an idea of how Bernstein's value tilted portfolio performed compared to other portfolios in the 1994-2004 period, check out:

http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/reallife04.html
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote