Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Building Retirement Home?
Old 03-20-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Building Retirement Home?

Thinking of building that retirement home? Well, at least your lumber should be affordable, not to mention land and labor. Here is a report on current lumber prices March 19, 2008. Aren't you glad you waited?...

Typical framing lumber went for $238 per 1,000 board feet as of Friday, the Random Lengths newsletter reports. That’s a far cry from August 2004, as the national building boom was nearing its zenith. Then, the same lumber was going for $474 for the same amount.
Here’s what an exec from wood giant Weyerhuaser told investors last month, according to a transcript provided by SeekingAlpha
At this time last year, we predicted that our Wood Products business would experience significant losses due to weak market conditions, but we didn’t foresee the historic downturn that haunted 2007. Even the most pessimistic projections didn’t anticipate that prices for oriented strand board would drop more than 40% from levels in early 2006 or that when adjusted for inflation lumber would dip to depression era levels. So that’s exactly what happened and the effect upon our earnings has been dramatic.

boont

boont is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nice to hear. We are renovating instead going new for the 1st time in 20 some years but still sensitive to material cost. Nicest canal front lots in our new location were built on years ago, while remaining empty lots aren't as nice. Plus is it feels more politically correct to be rehabbing an existing structure by the water rather than trying to squeeze another new one in. Also feels good to do some major downsizing.

I've seen some good pricing on oak flooring recently. Framers and other sub's are starving for work. Won't be using copper plumbing though
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave View Post
Nice to hear. We are renovating instead going new for the 1st time in 20 some years but still sensitive to material cost. Nicest canal front lots in our new location were built on years ago, while remaining empty lots aren't as nice. Plus is it feels more politically correct to be rehabbing an existing structure by the water rather than trying to squeeze another new one in. Also feels good to do some major downsizing.

I've seen some good pricing on oak flooring recently. Framers and other sub's are starving for work. Won't be using copper plumbing though
Priced a box of 12-2 wire lately Dave?
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:53 PM   #4

'scuse my ignorance, TargaDave, but what's wrong with copper? (I'm thinking about getting the galvanized in my old house replaced.)

I just did a search of old threads, and while I did my share of sewage-related reading ;-P I didn't see anything negative about copper...

What'd I miss, please?
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline View Post

What'd I miss, please?
The price of copper has skyrocketed in the past few years year. Copper pipe is very expensive...
Old 03-20-2008, 05:45 PM   #6

ahhh... thank you, Wahoo.

My dad has some laying around in his yard and keeps asking me if I want it. (The age of my house opens me up to such offers :-)

Think I'll pick it up next time I'm over there and give him a little something for it.
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Go with PEX, less loss of heat and easier to use.
planning to build retirement home next year
Old 03-20-2008, 07:08 PM   #8

planning to build retirement home next year

Woo hoo! Lower material prices just in time (except for the copper). At least I don't think there will be another building boom by next year. We're working up the plans now then we'll get some bids and find out just how hungry those contractors are
Old 03-20-2008, 10:25 PM   #9

I was just looking at the price of copper pipe and fittings at Lowes. Actually not that bad if you consider in 1977 I plumbed our house with copper and I remember paying 10 cents for 1/2 inch copper 90 ells. The current price at Lowes is 36 cents. 3/4 inch 90's were 25 cents, today they are 76 cents each.

I still have a nice stash of fittings and pipe in the garage.
UncleHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:29 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Was talking to a plumber who's working new construction ... says the electrician will strip the insulation off the scrap wire and pocket the copper for salvage/sale.

My pennies must be worth more than a penny in copper.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
Was talking to a plumber who's working new construction ... says the electrician will strip the insulation off the scrap wire and pocket the copper for salvage/sale.

My pennies must be worth more than a penny in copper.
The all copper ones are, better than 2 cents. Some people are hoarding copper pennies, but it's illegal to melt them down for scrap. One guy even sells a machine to sort out copper pennies and new alloy ones for return to the bank.

The penny sorting machine.
Home
Old 03-23-2008, 04:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Priced a box of 12-2 wire lately Dave?

Oops, that's one I can't avoid. Only way to save there is do the roughing and finish work myself. Not too bad if I'm just adding a few extra basic circuits without too much fishing. Need to get 30 amps out to the dock for a boat lift. Wire will probably cost me almost as much as the lift if things keep going the way they are .

I also have to learn how to work with this newer plastic plumbing they are using now (need to get a crimper) . So is PEX the thing to use? I hear it's pretty easy to work with. Always more queasy about any plumbing work but I guess I need to keep up with the times.

Still working on load calculations and permits at the moment. Actually doing my own rehab plans with some basic software and support (and stamp) from a local PE. Doing drawings on the computer is pretty cool compared to the ole drafting table and a fun semi-ER project for me.
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:49 AM   #13

On the PEX front there are two different type of connectors from what I have seen. One uses the crimp ring and another type uses a tool to expand the PEX, insert the fitting and slide a tubular sleeve over the joint. Not sure which one is best.

I sure hope PEX gives better service than polybutylene did in the 80's and 90's. Talk about a disaster!!!

I did two short lines in our basement with polybutylene to get water to a wetbar. Really easy to install and lower cost than copper. It took just over 10 years and the fittings started leaking. Yanked it out and did copper, not fun with a finished ceiling and drywall.

One thing about PEX, keep it out of sunlight, UV is a PEX killer.