Join Early Retirement Today

Burned out with all things financial...
Old 01-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Burned out with all things financial...

I registered some time ago. I never thought this would be my 1st post. But I am truely burned out with financial planning, strategy, investing, and anything related to such. Anyone else experience this prior to retirement? I think I will take a break from it all and let the chips fall where they may. I really don't care much anymore.

I don't market time, I have a set AA, I invest regularly, all in indexes. I believe in how I invest and I do it all myself including tax filing. I'm just tired of it all. It can be life consuming and shouldn't be that way I don't think. Anyone else?
crs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

If you have a "set AA", you shouldn't have to look at it more than once a year to stay on track. How can that be tiring?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When I used to w*rk, the activities of keeping track of my investments, planning, learning strategies gave me comfort. It felt like my "get out of jail free card" to pave the way to FIRE.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs1 View Post
I registered some time ago. I never thought this would be my 1st post. But I am truely burned out with financial planning, strategy, investing, and anything related to such. Anyone else experience this prior to retirement? I think I will take a break from it all and let the chips fall where they may. I really don't care much anymore.

I don't market time, I have a set AA, I invest regularly, all in indexes. I believe in how I invest and I do it all myself including tax filing. I'm just tired of it all. It can be life consuming and shouldn't be that way I don't think. Anyone else?
Have you considered setting up automatic purchases, dollar-cost-averaging into your indexes? There's an infinite amount of things to research, read and study about investing, but that's true about most aspects of life, and you are in control of how you allocate your time.

It's less fun when the market is falling and you feel dumb, more fun when the market is rising and you feel smart. That's going to be true both before and after retirement. John D. MacDonald, the novelist, put that in a lot of his novels, about the real-life boom and bust of real estate in Florida.
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I still enjoy it...just a numbers geek that way. I look at it like Monopoly for grown ups. If I have Boardwalk & Park Place with a couple homes on them, I'm happy.

Don't get me wrong, I still find time to walk down to the beach a few times a week...
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Perhaps it should be the way you think.

Hindsight being what it is - my active planning, investing, thinking, reading, and all that other foolish stuff provided maybe 10% of my retirement.

The part I didn't look at - max deduct 401k to trad. IRA(before Roth) into Bogle's Folly aka 500 index provided 90% of my portfolio.

Done properly - investment is one of the few areas where the less you do the more you make.

heh heh heh - I did have this hormone problem - young male and a irresistable urge to pick a few good stocks but age lessens the effects of the disease.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Sounds like you're doing enough to get 95% of what you want.

You have to be hard-wired to put out an additional 100% effort to raise your returns by a fraction of a percent.

Our college daughter is plenty busy with school & life, and more focused on controlling her expenses to save as much as she can. Beyond that she doesn't give a rat's ass about asset allocation, volatility, or tax efficiency. Like UncleMick says, perhaps she has a better attitude than me. But then she doesn't find McMillan's options-trading textbook as fascinating as I do.

As my ER goes on (9+ years now) I trade less often. I'm more interested in finding investments that don't require a sustained daily effort.

For the second year in a row, I'm going to end up doing three sets of tax returns-- my father's, mine, and my daughter's. (Although she does the data entry.) That's getting old real fast.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm just tired of it all. It can be life consuming and shouldn't be that way I don't think. Anyone else?
Yes. A couple of years before DH retired, I nearly drove myself freakin' nutz...I felt like I was running around in circles.

Finally it all boiled down to...

Keeping track of expenses.....one hour per week
Finding an AA (like you) that made me feel comfortable
Updating my financial spreadsheet at the end of each month

...and accepted there are some things that are out of my control.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:50 AM   #9

My words exactly. I have always had the same AA all my life. The rest is automatic, except the annual trip to HR Block for taxes. Not tiring at all - and I rather enjoy updating my spreadsheet once a month or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
If you have a "set AA", you shouldn't have to look at it more than once a year to stay on track. How can that be tiring?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:21 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Me too. Each month, I update my workbook, save it under a new name, and hope my new outlook is better than it was in previous months. It doesn't tire me at all. It might be because I wasn't consumed with it when I was w*rking.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:25 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I definitely became burned out by all things financial some years ago. Lots of reasons for this but mostly the fact that I handle all the financial decisions in our household. No matter how much I try to get hubby involved he just doesn't care. (good news is he thinks I've done a really good job all these years) When I informed him that I was stressed out over everything financial he looked at me and said "Do we spend more each month than we have coming in?" And then he just had to add, "Do we manage to put a good percentage of our income in savings/investments each month?" Of course I had to answer no to the first question and yes to the second. I think it struck me at that moment that I needed to just lighten up and have some fun. Well we certainly are having fun and, lo and behold, he took a little more interest in finances. Funny how those things work!
kz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:42 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like you have things well thought out and are in the mainstream of what many of us do. Why don't you take a month or two "off" to clear your head?

Take that time and focus more on health or relationships or one of your hobbies and less on finances.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

It should not be that hard.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #14

Quote:

No reason you have to obsess over it constantly. Just like the "turn off the TV investment news", you may prefer to turn us off as well. Check in again with your portfolio when you are closer to your goal and feel like refining your FI estimates.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I believe in how I invest and I do it all myself including tax filing. I'm just tired of it all. It can be life consuming and shouldn't be that way I don't think. Anyone else?
I wouldn't say that I'm "burned out" on financial things, but I notice that, even being just a few months into ER, I don't watch things like a hawk in the way I did while still working. We all lived through 2008-9 and hopefully have no lasting scars except the memory of that crazy time. I think your attitude is healthy!
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

What keeps me from feeling burned out is making sure that I'm organized. Sounds simple, in many ways, organization is more than half the battle. Then it's just a matter of filling in the blanks. It's like multiple choice vs essay back in college days.

For example, for taxes, I have a folder with differrent sections (income, deductions, donations, etc.). As the year goes by, I anytime I come across something which applies, simply tuck that document in the proper section. The same is true with keeping track of my HSA (different sections in a filing cabinet for expenses paid by me vs already reimbursed, etc.).

I was talking to a brother about taxes the other day. His DW isn't organized, worked several jobs throughout the past year, is starting her own business. I said to him, "So when tax time comes, you'll be frantically looking for paperwork?" He say, "Yeah, guess so."
Old 01-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've never felt burned out from reading about investing. I have sometimes felt that I should not follow it so much as it sometimes stresses me out.

What stresses me out sometimes is when I try to predict the future in order to know where I should be putting my money. Its pointless to even try, but when I read about current events I usually can't help myself from thinking about it.

I'm really quite happy with my investing strategy.
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #18

Perhaps it would useful to list the tasks, activities,etc that are taking up so much time.............well, I gues you didn't mention taking time but more burning you out. If you have a philosophy/strategy and a plan, why doesn't it basically run
on autopilot.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #19

Yes, I burned out. I didn't do any financial planning at all in 2011. I will need to in 2012 as I received an inheritence a little over a year ago, as did my partner. I need to come up with a plan to sell/convert assets (there are a lot of individual stocks) then begin to implement the plan.

We have accounts with both Vanguard and Fidelity. I should pick one and move the other account over. I'm thinking Fidelity may win.

I also think I will go with basic index funds, like 3 of them, and a MMF. I just want to keep it simple.

I have really been enjoying my time away from personal finance and am rather dreading turning my attention back to it.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, then why is it tiring?

Even now that I work part-time, I never do much financial planning other than making sure that we do not spend too much beyond what I bring in. And when I quit working eventually, I will be sure I will not spend more than, say, 3% of portfolio. Do I need to do more than that?

About investing, yes, I try to market time by guessing where the world economy is heading, trying to move around from hot sectors to cold ones. Most often, I end up not doing that much, and only move money around a bit, perhaps 20-30% of portfolio at most in a year, which is less than Wellesley's turnover at 48%. This year, my portfolio turn-over is perhaps 5-10%.

And I do not get tired, only frustrated when the world does not behave like my plan for it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote