Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-05-2008, 12:11 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

We are screwed. Unless magically people decide that not going bankrupt is important and they vote for Ron Paul tomorrow. Otherwise, this country seems to be screwed.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2008, 06:54 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

From my understanding, there is a place where someone (or everyone) could send that nice rebate they're offering us, which helps to pay down the national debt.
Of course, I doubt anyone will. And I know that I won't. But I also won't be spending it either. Since I didn't plan on getting it, I'll be putting it away in savings for the rainy days that may be coming (and we'll be getting around $2,400 - Husband/wife/4 kids).

Old 02-05-2008, 08:12 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrMike View Post
We are screwed. Unless magically people decide that not going bankrupt is important and they vote for Ron Paul tomorrow. Otherwise, this country seems to be screwed.
ABC News - Bush Budget Would Bring Record Deficits
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/WireStory?id=4240817&page=1

From the article
The record $3.1 trillion budget proposed by President Bush on Monday would produce eyepopping federal deficits, despite his attempts to impose politically wrenching curbs on Medicare and eliminate scores of popular domestic programs.
------------------ -----------------------------
Unfortunately Ron Paul will not be elected and this country will continue to go down the path of spend, spend and more spending.

U.S. National Debt Clock _ It continues to go tick tock and the debt continues to grow.

GOD BLESS US ALL
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:05 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
ABC News - Bush Budget Would Bring Record Deficits
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/WireStory?id=4240817&page=1

From the article
The record $3.1 trillion budget proposed by President Bush on Monday would produce eyepopping federal deficits, despite his attempts to impose politically wrenching curbs on Medicare and eliminate scores of popular domestic programs.
------------------ -----------------------------
Unfortunately Ron Paul will not be elected and this country will continue to go down the path of spend, spend and more spending.

U.S. National Debt Clock _ It continues to go tick tock and the debt continues to grow.

GOD BLESS US ALL
I must have failed my government class in high school, doesn't CONGRESS approve the budget? I am failrysure the President can put forth any budget he or she wants, but it STILL has to be approved, right??

If so,there will be a lot of changes. Plus, there will be a LOT of changes going forward, regardless of who gets in the White House.

Any cost estimates on what nationalized health care would cost? I think this budget would look minute if that beast comes to life...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:12 AM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

it's not enough money to stimulate the economy. most people that receive the 600 dollars will most likely either save it or pay off credit card debt or loans. I'm sure some people will spend it, but now a days, most people want to reduce their debt or save it
Old 02-05-2008, 09:28 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Details of the budget here:
Budget FY 2009 - The Budget Documents

about 1 trillion in discretionary spending.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:38 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Any cost estimates on what nationalized health care would cost? I think this budget would look minute if that beast comes to life...........
Just in the last 6-8 years I've completely changed my thinking on government spending. I used to think that no spending increase was good or should be encouraged....in other words, we should have less government. Now that Bush has pushed us into the Iraq war and we have billions going to that with no end in sight, I figure "heck, we're going to spend record amounts of money anyway, why not eliminate the wasteful spending on the Iraq war and at least spend it on something that will benefit our own people". Perhaps health care. Perhaps research into making our country energy independent...or something else. What's so bad about supporting our own people? Face it, the money is always going to be spent in record amounts by our government so why not spend it at home?
Old 02-05-2008, 09:46 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
Just in the last 6-8 years I've completely changed my thinking on government spending. I used to think that no spending increase was good or should be encouraged....in other words, we should have less government. Now that Bush has pushed us into the Iraq war and we have billions going to that with no end in sight, I figure "heck, we're going to spend record amounts of money anyway, why not eliminate the wasteful spending on the Iraq war and at least spend it on something that will benefit our own people". Perhaps health care. Perhaps research into making our country energy independent...or something else. What's so bad about supporting our own people? Face it, the money is always going to be spent in record amounts by our government so why not spend it at home?
I'll agree on the energy thing. When I heard a couple weeks ago that we asked Saudi Arabia to pump more oil, and their response was to "think about it" ,and then decide not to.........if I was President I would tell them to "pound sand"............

Old 02-05-2008, 10:04 AM   #29

Quote:
I'll agree on the energy thing. When I heard a couple weeks ago that we asked Saudi Arabia to pump more oil, and their response was to "think about it" ,and then decide not to.........if I was President I would tell them to "pound sand"............
Ok.... now here is something that I did reseach on that I was completely blown away by. Fist off, was how little oil we actually get from OPEC countries. For example, we actually get more oil every year from Mexico, than from Saudi Arabia. I also did some checking, and about 1/4 of all the oil that we need every year comes from all OPEC countries combined. (Check on the DOE website if you want to check the stats) I think that as a nation we should be able to overcome the 25% from OPEC from somewhere else. I see this as being an achievable goal.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:09 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by armor99 View Post
Ok.... now here is something that I did reseach on that I was completely blown away by. Fist off, was how little oil we actually get from OPEC countries. For example, we actually get more oil every year from Mexico, than from Saudi Arabia. I also did some checking, and about 1/4 of all the oil that we need every year comes from all OPEC countries combined. (Check on the DOE website if you want to check the stats) I think that as a nation we should be able to overcome the 25% from OPEC from somewhere else. I see this as being an achievable goal.
That may increase with oil from Iraq..........

Old 02-05-2008, 10:15 AM   #31

Quote:
I must have failed my government class in high school, doesn't CONGRESS approve the budget? I am failrysure the President can put forth any budget he or she wants, but it STILL has to be approved, right??

If so,there will be a lot of changes. Plus, there will be a LOT of changes going forward, regardless of who gets in the White House.

And that's why the Dems and some of the Reps like Sen Judd Gregg are saying NO to Old George W's proposed $3 trillion budget.

Bush unveils $3.1 trillion budget proposal with tax cuts - Feb. 4, 2008

Even some Republicans faulted Bush's budget sleight of hand.

"They've obviously played an inordinate number of games to try to make it look better," Sen. Judd Gregg, the top Republican on the Budget Committee, said in an interview with The Associated Press.

"Let's face it. This budget is done with the understanding that nobody's going to be taking a long, hard look at it," said Gregg, R-N.H.

------------------------ -------------------------------
I agree with Dallas Guy if they are going to be spending billions on the Iraq War then they might as well spend those billions here at home taking care of our citizens. Our borders, our airports and our seaports need to be secured maybe some of those billions could be spent there.

GOD BLESS US ALL
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:20 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by armor99 View Post
Isn't a supply/demand thing - not where we get the oil.
World output larger than world demand = failing world oil prices

In theory the USA could buy all it's oil from non middle east countries. This is not a good idea because it might cause a regional imbalance in the supply demand equation.

Where the USA gets it oil is often determined by where the oil is needed in the USA. For example, some of the Alaska oil might go to Japan because it isn't needed on the west coast when it is available. If the USA needed oil on the east coast then it might come from the middle east.

Another factor is the type of oil - the USA wants oil that is low in sulfer and other things to reduce polution. The oil from the Middle east is some of the best oil.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:25 AM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Congressional democrats have already said that they plan to put Bush's budget in the round file and create their own. And, I'm expecting that their budget will have more spending, more taxes, and a similar deficit.

Both parties believe that Americans want the gov't to spend a lot of money, but they don't want to pay enough in taxes to actually cover that spending.
I think the voters are capable of making better choices than that, but it would take an effort to explain the real choices to them, and nobody gets re-elected for telling inconvenient truths.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:26 AM   #34

It seems that this isn't just a modern day problem: "The budget should be balanced, the treasury should be refilled, and the public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled. And the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest we become bankrupt." Cicero, 63 B.C.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:42 AM   #35

Americans will experience intense deprivation if and when we decide to pay down the U.S. outstanding debt. But, the alternative may be far worse.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:14 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire Soon View Post
Americans will experience intense deprivation if and when we decide to pay down the U.S. outstanding debt. But, the alternative may be far worse.
So, the USA could practice LBYM?? That WOULD be groundbreaking..........

Old 02-05-2008, 08:34 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
It seems that this isn't just a modern day problem: "The budget should be balanced, the treasury should be refilled, and the public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled. And the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest we become bankrupt." Cicero, 63 B.C.
Dang libertarians...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote