Join Early Retirement Today

Business Travel
Old 03-07-2009, 07:33 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Business Travel

I am flying to another state for a week and am trying to figure out how to get it to qualify as business travel under the IRS guidelines so I can deduct the cost of transportation.

I'm flying out on a Tuesday and returning on a Monday. Except those days and weekends I was planning on attending conferences in my line of work but I just found out that it has to be 6 hours long and I need to attend 2/3 of it to qualify. Most of the expert presentations are only a few hours a day.

What strategies have you used for business travel? I read somewhere that just setting up business appointments is enough to qualify?
inquisitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

No one has claimed tax deductions for travel expenses?

I did some reading on the subject and as far as I know, if I travel to attend any educational lectures/conferences that is as least as reasonable as being in another location than in my hometown, I can take a deduction. I do not think that the educational activities need to be a certain percentage of my trip, is this right?

Is it possible to edit posts here? I don't think my initial one made sense.
inquisitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My business travel is all business. Company pays for it. Fully tax deductible. Might be different if it was not all business. If I was an individual or sole prop trying to get a bus. deduction, I would make sure 6hrs a day or more were really business. ...and well documented as business, in case of audit. Its not wise to mess around with your great uncle and his demands for tribute. My uncle did, and ended up losing his home, his cars, his business, his life savings. They did let him keep the shirt he was wearing.

R