Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-17-2014, 04:09 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I get together for lunch two or three times a year with three retired former co-workers, all who have second homes - heck one has two second homes, a lake house nearby and a condo on a golf course in FL. I sometimes feel a bit left out when the conversation inevitably gets around to complaints about homeowners insurance, condo association assessments,
But then I get over it.
But you have a second home. Yours happens to be on wheels.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2014, 04:18 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
But you have a second home. Yours happens to be on wheels.
OK, you got me - but my list of complaints/costs is far smaller (and so is the 'mortgage'):

homeowners insurance,
condo association assessments,
property tax,
HOAs,,
utilities,
yard maintenance,
exterminator,
repairs,
routine maintenance,
large periodic maintenance,
someone to keep an eye on the place, etc.

Oh, and if I don't like my neighbors I can easily exchange them.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:36 PM   #43

Second home or RV, both are money pits expensive pastimes. Some people go to great lengths to rationalize their choice and can provide a well thought-out list of vacation or travel expenses avoided (aka financial analysis and justification), but there is no denying that each cost big $$ and are high maintenance. They are lifestyle choices, and seen in that context, are legitimate options.

The point I would make is that as a lifestyle option, owning a second home has a very high upfront cost which is usually fully committed before the first day of enjoyment. It makes sense to rent, just to test the waters, for a year or so, to make sure the benefit will be appreciates before the contract is signed.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:33 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would not call it rationalizing. We don't like to do airport travel that much os having a place we feel comfortable with works for us. It's paid for and we can afford it so I could care less if that money could grow even more.

BTW, have an RV as well. It's a lifestyle thing for us (dogs).
Old 03-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Second home or RV, both are money pits expensive pastimes. ........
Here in SE Michigan it seems like every other person has a place "up north". And why are they going up to the cottage this weekend? To mow the grass, to fix the roof, to paint, to winterize the water system, to open the place for guests..........
Old 03-17-2014, 06:52 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Here in SE Michigan it seems like every other person has a place "up north". And why are they going up to the cottage this weekend? To mow the grass, to fix the roof, to paint, to winterize the water system, to open the place for guests..........
Time for thinking and woolgathering can cause trouble in those years between work and the grave. So best that this time be filled up tight with busywork.

Ha
Old 03-19-2014, 09:57 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't forget Fl. used to be all swamp at one time, and most of it is in flood zones, especially southern Fl. The fed. gov. wanted to increase flood ins. 18% yearly because of the money they now owe due to the storms in NJ and NY.
Fl. gov. got it changed for the time being. Just type Florida flood insurance in yahoo or google and there will be all kinds of articles.

Soooo, if you pay cash, you won't need flood insurance. You get it only if you want it. You will have 3 insurances, flood, hurricane and regular residential ins.

We went to Englewood for 5 wks. this yr. and we both love it. While there, we listened to Charlotte county meetings on television each week. They were talking about how all of Charlotte county is a flood zone and they have to get prepared in case they get a hurricane like NJ and JY got. When Charlotte was built back in Edison and Ford days they didn't put enough fill in the ground for floods from the ocean. Go to the county office to see what level of flood plane your place is in. Level 10 is best. Your insurance depends on your flood level.

ANOTHER thing we noticed on these meetings...Fl. depends on money from us snow birds PLUS writing up notices on homes if the roof needs replaced, home needs painted, grass needs cut...and all that stuff. If you get any maintenance done on your home(instead of doing it yourself) make sure it is done by a person that is qualified in the area you live. A lady who lives in West Palm owns a rental home in Port Charlotte. The new roof was put on by a business from West Palm. They made her get a new contractor that was Char County qualified, tear the roof off and put a new one on.

Just some food for thought. We are still consider purchasing though bc hubby will do the maintenance and we'll pay a local person to cut grass.