Join Early Retirement Today

Buy a boat with a credit card?
Old 05-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Buy a boat with a credit card?

Anyone make a big ticket purchase using a points credit card? I'm getting ready to buy a boat and wonder if I can buy it with a Chase Sapphire Visa, then pay it off immediately for the point value.... I don't know if the boat dealer would allow it because he might have to pay a large fee to Visa.. anyone know how this might or might not work?
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

You can always ask, but my experience is big ticket retailers place limits on how much of a purchase they will allow on a CC. I once tried buying a car with a CC and the dealership wouldn't agree to more than $3k on the card.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:45 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You can always ask, but my experience is big ticket retailers place limits on how much of a purchase they will allow on a CC. I once tried buying a car with a CC and the dealership wouldn't agree to more than $3k on the card.
Same here. I tried to buy my last car using a CC for the points, dealer would not allow it even though it was well within our credit limit. I assume it's because merchants have to pay CC companies on average 2% of transaction cost and car-boat and other big ticket item sellers want cash without out any middleman %. A 2% cut on a car or a boat by a credit card issuer is unwarranted.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

It might be worth looking into. Can't hurt to ask. They might be willing to negotiate you paying a bit more in which case you would have to assess the value of the points to you.

Another benefit of a CC transaction is that some providers double the term of the manufacturer's warranty. I got money back from Discover for some out-of-warranty refrigerator repairs because I bought the refrigerator using my Discover card. But I suspect that there may be limitations but if not it would be fun to see there faces when someone files a claim for repairs on an x year old boat!!!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I have heard that many times. The strange thing is you would think they could eat the 2% There can be a lot of profit on a used car.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
It might be worth looking into. Can't hurt to ask. They might be willing to negotiate you paying a bit more in which case you would have to assess the value of the points to you.

Another benefit of a CC transaction is that some providers double the term of the manufacturer's warranty. I got money back from Discover for some out-of-warranty refrigerator repairs because I bought the refrigerator using my Discover card. But I suspect that there may be limitations but if not it would be fun to see there faces when someone files a claim for repairs on an x year old boat!!!
Credit cards all have disclaimers that they do not extend warranties on motorized vehicles of any type...including boats.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I have paid up to $5000 on the purchase of a car on a credit card.
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:06 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Credit cards all have disclaimers that they do not extend warranties on motorized vehicles of any type...including boats.
Good to know.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:13 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
I have heard that many times. The strange thing is you would think they could eat the 2% There can be a lot of profit on a used car.
You might be surprised, (as I'd always heard) it appears most dealers profit quite a bit more on service & parts than profits on new or used cars even after F&I. Despite the rare buyer who pays MSRP (or close), the average profit on new cars is by one report about 3% (before holdbacks & incentives), which would explain why dealerships can't eat a 2%+ CC fee...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (184.0 KB, 25 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:10 PM   #10

We paid off our house with a credit card. I think it was about $16,000 but it was a balance transfer deal, not a merchant transaction. There was no balance transfer fee and a fixed 2.99% rate for 1 year, then 1.99% for the life of the balance. Paid that off before DH retired.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:10 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I once purchased a used car from AutoNation USA with a CC and paid it off the next month. I think I got about $80 in Discover cashback credits.

I have asked to do it again but they don't seem to want to get my CC money now.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:21 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I am another person who bought a used car. Used a cash back card and put the entire 8000 on it. Paid it off in full before any interest was charged.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:26 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

It's always worth asking, as others have said. We have been having a lot of big expenses related to 3 properties, and I always ask if I can put some or all on the CC. Most contractors want a check because the CC fee cuts into their profits, but some will go for it (because CC's don't bounce, I guess).

Our utilities and taxing authorities allow CC payments, but the fee is not worth the convenience or the points.

Re: new car, the dealer would only let us put $3K on the CC and was unhappy even about that.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:45 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I once bought a new Toyota truck with a Visa card (only about $15000) but that was many years ago. Since then, I have tried to buy boats/autos that way but have not found another dealer that would allow more than a couple thousand by CC.
Lakedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:43 AM   #15

If you're slightly creative, there are ways to "buy money" at face value using your credit card, and then spend that money on whatever you'd like.

One reason that dealerships don't like to take a lot of money on a credit card is that they become vulnerable to a disputed charge, which is work for them to counter-dispute, and no guarantee that they will win the dispute.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:43 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

You can get two different answers to this question.
Try this one.

Just tell them you are not going to buy the boat if you can not put it on the credit card and get up and start to walk out.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #17

Used CC for $10,000 on last car purchase. Probably could have argued for more.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:56 PM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

For any purchase, at any amount, where the seller takes credit cards, negotiating the 2% is becoming common. Not from major retailers, but for those with a direct vested interest in making the sale.

Doesn't work with most major retailers. Brings up a very interesting subject for me. With a retail background in one of the (then) largest companies in the world, management controls went down to the local level... with the store manager having the authority to make decisions in the interest of profit and customer relations.

Today, not so much. Personal example... second largest building/home garden company in the country.
Recently went to purchase approximately $1,000 in furniture. Half hour with the salesperson, and after settling on what we wanted, asked about delivery charges. Salesperson and department manager both quoted a price and completed the sales form. We brought it to the "delivery" department, where they revised the delivery charge by upping the price by $10... a recent (yesterday) change. When I complained, instead of giving a courtesy $10 allowance to keep the sale, they refused to do this... I asked to speak to the manager, as I thought he'd want to keep a good customer... as well as the obvious profit.

"No way"...

So we left. The more I thought about it, the more I thought of how wasteful their policy was, so wrote a letter to the president of the corporation, asking if that was indeed their attitude and policy. I did receive a reply... which said they were sorry that I was disappointed, but that their manager had acted in accordance with their corporate instructions.

Policy trumps sanity...
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:55 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

This will sound strange, but my dear friend paid for her son's funeral on a credit card. She is frugal and so was he. He would have gotten a kick out of her receiving the points and paying balance in full of course.
prose3589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by prose3589 View Post
This will sound strange, but my dear friend paid for her son's funeral on a credit card. She is frugal and so was he. He would have gotten a kick out of her receiving the points and paying balance in full of course.
great story!
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote