Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2015, 05:08 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
.
No LED lights or rear view video.
96 Cadilac SLS 75K miles
98 Lincoln Signature Town Car. 119K miles

Buy...
Those two boats would make nice low riders up this way...
__________________

__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2015, 05:51 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Toyotas have a good reputation for low cost maintenance, low purchase cost and good longevity, thus people tend to buy them and keep them.

Jag, BMW, Infiniti, Mercedes are expensive cars with frequent and expensive maintenance costs, thus, they get leased by people who can't afford to buy one and want to be seen in one.
Low purchase costs Nope... compared with the other brands then yes.... but Honda and Hyundai are cheaper than Toyota around here....
__________________

__________________
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:14 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Low purchase costs Nope... compared with the other brands then yes.... but Honda and Hyundai are cheaper than Toyota around here....
Down here in The Great Swamp, Toyota dealers are still selling new 2015 Camry's for a couple of grand under $25,000. Corolla's are a hair less. Both are advertised as cheap lease deals also. Seems to be a big overstock of all new brands here though.

http://www.communitytoyota.com/new/s...6output%3Djson
__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:59 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,629
I've both owned cars for up to 9 yrs and leased others. Best answer is that it really depends on the deal. Ownership can be very expensive if you get hit with big out-of-warranty repairs or very return of low trade-in/resale value. Some lease deals are literally the cheapest way to drive a decent vehicle (recent safety technologies, etc.). At times car makers build up a big inventory of a particular make/model/equipment level and offer some sweeeet lease deals to move them And depending on lease discounts, money factor (interest rate) and residual value, some leases can be logical a path to ownership IF the total lease cost (down payment plus sum of monthlies) plus the residual value add up to a fair purchase price. Then again, many leases are just horribly expensive- like for those driving 20-30+K miles/yr.
IMHO- No substitute for running the numbers for lease-vs-buy for each situation.
__________________
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:32 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Naples
Posts: 2,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I'm curious why you won't drive a car past the warranty? Did you have a bad experience? I personally would never consider leasing, but I drive cars for a long time. Our new car is a 2004 Highlander. The older one is a 2002 Beetle TDI. We've had very few issues other than normal upkeep. We're trying to keep the Beetle until our 9 y.o. DGD is able to drive. She'll look pretty cool in a lime green diesel Beetle. Especially with all those flower magnetic decals on it. I like to drive it because of the incredible mileage, plus it's fun to drive, and shows that I'm very comfortable in my masculinity.
harley, I've had a number of experiences where A/C units, power steering and brakes failed sooner than expected. As you get older, you don't need those hassles. As others mentioned, leasing takes the worry out of car buying. No brakes to repair, no tires or batteries to replace, maintenance is covered, etc.

One of the things to look for in leasing is a car that holds it's value. That determines the residual value. So my Toyota Prius will reflect a higher residual price than some other car that has the same sticker price. Hence, a lower lease payment.

The next lease I tackle will have to do with lease interest rates. I'm going to shop early to see if I can do better this way rather than use the dealer financing arm. And, what will the dealer think about this as they won't be making money off interest. Maybe that won't work out.
__________________
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Buy or Lease a car?
Old 04-19-2015, 08:37 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Granbury
Posts: 91
Buy or Lease a car?

We lease one car and own two others. Lease has worked out well raising three kids. Mom always gets the new vehicle of her choice for changing circumstances. When we got married she had a nice RX-7. She loved it. Second kid came along and it was time to say b-bye and hello mini van. Recent years leases: an Expedition , CRV, Explorer and now we've come full circle VW Eos convertible. I drive my 2001 F-250 bubba truck. Last kid drives a 2013 Mazda 3. He wrecked the 04 focus that made it through the other two. Hydroplaned into a car minimal damage but totaled the car. Chalk that one up to experience. Mazda will be his launch out of the nest car. We have been happy with the choice to lease and hang on to others. Economic sense maybe not but not having to worry about repairs on the car we drive most of the time and having to haggle over a new and old trade in Priceless!


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
World Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:49 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
JPatrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Thank you!
Chalk up another...
__________________
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:53 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,906
I've only leased when I worked for MegaMotors and that one year lease was at an artificially low rate and came with free maintenance, unlimited liability- no deductible insurance and unlimited mileage. In other words, too good to pass up. So, I see the appeal of leasing.

Now I buy new or buy slightly used, but still in warranty, and keep the vehicle for 10 years. It helps to think in terms of buckets and envision a bucket of money not paid in monthly fees as being there to pay for "free" repairs.
__________________
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:51 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Down here in The Great Swamp, Toyota dealers are still selling new 2015 Camry's for a couple of grand under $25,000. Corolla's are a hair less. Both are advertised as cheap lease deals also. Seems to be a big overstock of all new brands here though.

New Toyota Inventory Near Houston | New Toyota Dealer Serving Crosby


Hyundai prices are still cheaper..... and more % off list


http://www.northfreewayhyundai.com/H...0&model=Sonata



There also is a new Camry coming out next year.... I think that is why I got my new Pilot at such a discount... a new one coming out next year...
__________________
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:46 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,490
This is a very timely thread for me in that we are in the market for a new/slightly used SUV. We usually own our cars for 5-10 years and have had good luck with few out of warranty repairs and we usually put about 10k miles a year on each vehicle and usually trade at 120k miles +/-.

For years I found good values in 2-3 year old used vehicles coming off of lease with less than 36k miles, but that seemed to change in the mid 2000s and I found that these slightly used vehicles didn't have enough of a discount from new vehicles to justify going used. I'm finding the same thing now so far.

While I have never considered leasing in the past there do seem to be some good lease deals out there. I am looking at these lease deals purely financially.. if the interest rate implicit in the purchase cost compared to the upfront cost, monthly lease payments and end of lease buyout is not too excessive then I'll consider it.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Not a fan of leasing
Old 04-19-2015, 03:28 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.
misanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 536
Not a fan of leasing

We have mostly purchased our cars but did lease on two occasions and I've decided that leasing is not for me. Here are my reasons:

1. For me, cars are a "freedom tool". If we want to take off for somewhere the car lets us do that. With a leased vehicle I found that I was always thinking about whether I was adding too many miles (or not enough!). I found that it was psychologically limiting. It sometimes affected which car we'd take on a trip as we'd avoid a car that was accumulating too many miles even though it may have been the most appropriate vehicle. Or if I was low on miles I'd drive that car rather than risk leaving lease miles "on the table".

2. I think leases are more prone to manipulation. On our last lease, the dealer tried to sneak in a monthly charge for "rental car replacement". Said they added it to all their leases. I'm guessing many folks wouldn't notice as long as they could afford the monthly payment.

3. At lease expiration I didn't like being forced into a vehicle change on the leasing companies schedule rather than mine. The lease was up so now it was my responsibility to do something "this month", when I wasn't really interested in changing cars at that particular time. Then there was the hassle of the vehicle inspection. Although I've never personally had problems with this I'm acquainted with others that ran into additional charges for excess "wear and tear".

4. On my two leases, I never found that buying the vehicle at lease end was a very good deal. Seems like the residual value was more than the market rate, making it harder to break the lease cycle.

5. Once I got into leasing it seemed hard to get out. If you have leased a car and then decide to go back to a purchase you have no vehicle equity to apply to the new car purchase.

6. I think leasing tends to put you into a fairly rapid "refresh cycle" and results in higher overall costs. I guess this point could be argued but I think this is why Dave Ramsey refers to leases as "fleeces". Related to this is that leases make it easier to select a more expensive vehicle with all the "doodads" as long as one can afford the monthly lease cost.

7. I don't like monthly payments and, conversely, love the feeling that comes with having a car completely paid for.

Bottom line for me is that I feel more "in charge" with a vehicle purchase. With a vehicle lease I felt that it was all about the dealer and the leasing company.

My 2 cents, anyway.
__________________
"The best thing about the future is that it happens one day at a time." -- A. Lincoln
misanman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:59 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 6,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
For years I found good values in 2-3 year old used vehicles coming off of lease with less than 36k miles, but that seemed to change in the mid 2000s and I found that these slightly used vehicles didn't have enough of a discount from new vehicles to justify going used. I'm finding the same thing now so far.
I think the used car market was severely impacted by the Cash for Clunkers program, which resulted in a lot of high quality used cars being junked instead of released back into the market. From some things I've read, the used market is just starting to regain it's inventory, so maybe you'll be able to find decent used cars again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
We have mostly purchased our cars but did lease on two occasions and I've decided that leasing is not for me. Here are my reasons:

1. For me, cars are a "freedom tool". If we want to take off for somewhere the car lets us do that. With a leased vehicle I found that I was always thinking about whether I was adding too many miles (or not enough!). I found that it was psychologically limiting. It sometimes affected which car we'd take on a trip as we'd avoid a car that was accumulating too many miles even though it may have been the most appropriate vehicle. Or if I was low on miles I'd drive that car rather than risk leaving lease miles "on the table".

2. I think leases are more prone to manipulation. On our last lease, the dealer tried to sneak in a monthly charge for "rental car replacement". Said they added it to all their leases. I'm guessing many folks wouldn't notice as long as they could afford the monthly payment.

3. At lease expiration I didn't like being forced into a vehicle change on the leasing companies schedule rather than mine. The lease was up so now it was my responsibility to do something "this month", when I wasn't really interested in changing cars at that particular time. Then there was the hassle of the vehicle inspection. Although I've never personally had problems with this I'm acquainted with others that ran into additional charges for excess "wear and tear".

4. On my two leases, I never found that buying the vehicle at lease end was a very good deal. Seems like the residual value was more than the market rate, making it harder to break the lease cycle.

5. Once I got into leasing it seemed hard to get out. If you have leased a car and then decide to go back to a purchase you have no vehicle equity to apply to the new car purchase.

6. I think leasing tends to put you into a fairly rapid "refresh cycle" and results in higher overall costs. I guess this point could be argued but I think this is why Dave Ramsey refers to leases as "fleeces". Related to this is that leases make it easier to select a more expensive vehicle with all the "doodads" as long as one can afford the monthly lease cost.

7. I don't like monthly payments and, conversely, love the feeling that comes with having a car completely paid for.

Bottom line for me is that I feel more "in charge" with a vehicle purchase. With a vehicle lease I felt that it was all about the dealer and the leasing company.

My 2 cents, anyway.
Those are all excellent points. My biggest issue with leasing I think would be the forever payments. I like having a mortgage, but it would drive me crazy to be having to make car payments for the rest of my life. We buy our cars for cash, and driving them for 10+ years makes the cost per year pretty low. I guess if I was someone who liked a new car every few years leasing might make some sense, but that's never been an interest. Also, if I started having all those problems like Johnny listed I might change my mind, but we've been pretty lucky so far.
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers, or maybe Sam Clemens
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:16 PM   #33
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,248
Whichever makes you happy...buy it or lease it.

Personally I just can not associate any type of self satisfaction with fancy car that one changes every 3 years.

People think 'It'll be a total blast if I have a BMW,' and at first it is. Then it becomes the new standard, and you don't notice it as much.

But what a blast I had today riding my 200 dollar bike through Historic Lexington, Lincoln, Concord Massachusetts today on lovely Spring day and that ride does not get old from year to year.
__________________
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:53 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RunningBum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
Whichever makes you happy...buy it or lease it.

Personally I just can not associate any type of self satisfaction with fancy car that one changes every 3 years.

People think 'It'll be a total blast if I have a BMW,' and at first it is. Then it becomes the new standard, and you don't notice it as much.
It's not just fancy, many people are looking for the reliability of a new car, and the latest in safety features. Hard to argue with that.

It's also hard to beat a car with a good history of maintenance and reliability, which is one reason I hang onto a good car.
__________________
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:14 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 393
Depends on circumstances.

We always paid cash for cars. DW thought she might like an SUV (but wasn't sure), so we leased a Ford Explorer in 99. She liked it, she crunched it (dealer fix). At 3 year mark, Explorers had a bad rep (tire issues) and we thought a couple of scratches would make it worth buying because the tire issue destroyed the residual. The dealer wanted full residual, but didn't complain about the condition (salesman said "best lease return I've seen") but we could have bought a similar one cheaper (I think they thought we'd do it) so purchased an Escape.

In this case, we had prepaid the lease (ie. one lump sum) which gave meant interest rates didn't matter and they were a bit higher than today's.

Warranty/schmorantee, today's cars are good for about double the warranty with routine maintenance. I'll take my 2005 Mustang (60K miles) anywhere, anytime. That said, I just might be tempted to trade it for a LEASED F-type Jag. No way I'm coughing up C$85K for an Indian car with unknown residual.
__________________
I'm not crazy. Honest, the judge had me tested.
Rick_Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:17 PM   #36
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Pasadena CA
Posts: 2,695
Mostly don't lease but have a couple times. The first was a Mazda Miata in 98, for one year, really cheap lease, we wanted to see how it would work as a second car we had one child home at the time,we called it our one year test-drive. Worked great, bought a new one after the lease end, still have it, DW says I can sell it when I pry it out of her cold, dead hands. We are currently leasing a 2012 Ford Focus Electric, it is a great deal, $259 a month zero down, and mostly we weren't sure about the technology and range issues. We love the car, the 80 mile range works well as our local car. Lease ends in a few months and we will see what ever is available for electric and plug in cars, will buy or lease depending on the market.
__________________
T.S. Eliot:
Old men ought to be explorers
yakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:49 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 58
I know zip about leasing and even less about cars. Could someone please tell me if this a good/decent deal on a lease? One year ago I leased a Dodge Dart (sales price $19043; MSRP = $21130) $1000 down and $122/mo for 24mo (thus total cost of lease = $3927). Residual value = $13735, 15000 miles/yr. DH should get a comparable discount when this lease is up next year.
__________________
tessaduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:11 PM   #38
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessaduncan View Post
I know zip about leasing and even less about cars. Could someone please tell me if this a good/decent deal on a lease? One year ago I leased a Dodge Dart (sales price $19043; MSRP = $21130) $1000 down and $122/mo for 24mo (thus total cost of lease = $3927). Residual value = $13735, 15000 miles/yr. DH should get a comparable discount when this lease is up next year.
I don't know, but I know that buying and driving it until it's wheels come off is better deal.

And doing it with something like Honda Civic is better deal then with Dodge Dart.

BTW for fun I compared 2 cars. Civic is more expensive yet I know as a cash buyer I can drive LX off the lot with taxes, plates and fees for less then (Dodge Dart sales price $19043)......let alone MSRP = $21130. I don't know what kind of deal would cash buyer get for Dart.....I would expect even better then Civic.
__________________
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:42 PM   #39
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,711
My brother is on his second lease of a new Toyota Camry.

It works for him because:
1) he's an idiot with cars and doesn't take car of them mechanically; a new car every 3 years is a good thing
2) he's the type who 'always has a car payment'...a lower payment with a new car makes sense
3) part of #2, if he bought a new car, his payment would be a lot more for a lot longer (5 years), so he'd be driving a 5 year old car with a huge payment.
4) part of #3, after 4 years, he'd need new brakes, shocks etc and still be paying a big payment.

The idea is for him to just keep getting new cars and paying a smaller payments.
__________________
Living well is the best revenge!
Retired @ 52 in 2005
marko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:48 PM   #40
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
My brother is on his second lease of a new Toyota Camry.

It works for him because:
1) he's an idiot with cars and doesn't take car of them mechanically; a new car every 3 years is a good thing
2) he's the type who 'always has a car payment'...a lower payment with a new car makes sense
3) part of #2, if he bought a new car, his payment would be a lot more for a lot longer (5 years), so he'd be driving a 5 year old car with a huge payment.
4) part of #3, after 4 years, he'd need new brakes, shocks etc and still be paying a big payment.

The idea is for him to just keep getting new cars and paying a smaller payments.
If he really always pays smaller and smaller payment in 50 years he will lease BMW for 1 dollar a year

He has some new undiscovered way of building wealth. Please share details of it with rest of us.
__________________

__________________
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buy vs Lease - Travel Car Idnar7 Other topics 53 04-18-2012 09:31 AM
End of Car Lease Situation JOHNNIE36 Other topics 1 04-03-2011 03:52 PM
Thoughts on buy or lease new car, Technology changing fast rjk514 Life after FIRE 62 01-25-2007 08:50 PM
Poll: Lease vs. Buy Auto REWahoo FIRE and Money 39 04-25-2006 04:15 PM
Pay cash from IRA or lease car popyee FIRE and Money 12 05-15-2004 04:28 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:52 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.