Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another idea:

Fly to your new home. Rent a car. Find an apartment. Drive back to your old home in the rented car. Pack it with your things. Drive back, if possible parking it somewhere really safe at night so your stuff won't get stolen*. Unpack the rental car. Return it.

You can now take your time to get the best deal on your new car in Texas. Cost of move = rental car, gas, accommodation on the way in both directions.

*get insurance.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

One more suggestion. Look at your pile of "stuff" and see if it is truly worth moving. I can't describe how liberating it can be to move to a new location (in my case, 5000 miles away) in 2 suitcases each. Any financial papers and keepsakes (pictures, kids' school awards, etc.) should be taken with you. Everything else, sell, donate, burn. We outfitted a 3 br townhouse for less than $3K once we moved. Much of it was used, but so is the stuff you use now, right? Just a thought. YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think Koolau's idea is great. Unless of course your posessions are priceless. On a "distance" move like you are making and the fact you don't own a car, I agree that is best to start from scratch in your new location. For the price of the move (UHaul, etc.)and the labor involved, you can buy everything in your new location. Have you checked recently on furniture consignment shopes? Start new with the car in your new location. Good luck!
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:45 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Could you purchase a relatively inexpensive cargo van from a place like Car Max that is national in scope where you live now and exchange it for a vehicle you might like better at your final destination? I assume you pay something for the miles used and they benefit by your purchase/exchange from their inventory so it is not a blatant one sided taking advantage of them.

If such is not possible, could an older high mileage van or car be purchased cheap enough to gamble on the vehicle making the trip? If you have paid little more than salvage for it you just junk it upon arrival. Might want to looking into roadside protection insurance if you do this. : )
Ready-4-ER-at-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #25

I won't be flying anywhere. Planes are a no no at the moment.

If I rent a car and toss everything in and head out, it'll still be about $800-1000, if not more -- at least from prices I've been quoted -- to rent a car for a month instead of a U-Haul for a week and a half. That's including insurance. A month would give me time to find an apartment and a car and still have something to get groceries in the meantime.

If I bought the car before I moved, I'd be facing about $180+ in taxes and fees registering it in another state (if I read the TX DMV chart right).

If I got the U-Haul and rented a car when I got there, it'd be about $2,000-2,500+, with insurance.

It seems like buying the car here is the best deal so far.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

If your stuff will fit in a car, why would you rent a U-haul vs. renting a mini-van or other car? U-haul will rent storage place from closet size to garage size if you need someplace to secure your items until you find an apartment.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #27

I'd potentially wind up having to mail a few things with just a car (everything fit in the car I used to have when I moved cross country the first time; I've bought a few things since then, but only enough that it'd be more of a concern if I bought a smaller car than what I used to own), but the prices are comparable when renting almost any kind of car for a few weeks versus the smallest U-Haul here.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Assuming you are buying a new car why not buy it online from a dealership in the state you are moving to but take delivery where you are now so you can pack it with your personal effects. You can put temporary tag (usually a paper thing you put in the window) until you arrive in your new community.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
If I bought the car before I moved, I'd be facing about $180+ in taxes and fees registering it in another state (if I read the TX DMV chart right).
If this is the best price, why not have it registered in TX when you buy it. The dealer you buy from in your current state can do that, they just have to find the tax rates for a TX address (assuming you can get one from a friend or relative, maybe a PO Box even?).
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:47 AM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe

We used a ReloCube from ABF to move the kid to Grad School across the country. We stored the stuff with them until he had an apt. It wasn't all that expensive and huge on the convenience factor. Good experience.
JanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Perhaps you missed this...

Xtranormal | Wahoo!
"...mandatory death sentence for DUI convictions.."

That was the best part.

I thought you were allowed to drink beer and drive in Texas. Or is that only if your car doesn't have air conditioning?

Free in Texas
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:53 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
"...mandatory death sentence for DUI convictions.."

That was the best part.

I thought you were allowed to drink beer and drive in Texas. Or is that only if your car doesn't have air conditioning?

Free in Texas
This could actually be a good way to have someone else do all the footwork for you. Just say you're thinking of moving to Texas, say you want a place between $XXX-XXX/month, and watch REWahoo start apartment searching in other states for you. You'll never find better comparative shopping!
Old 03-11-2011, 04:56 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I just discovered that Zillow has a rental search tool (thanks to Seattle Bubble). It includes square footage and an estimate of how much similarly sized homes/apartments rent for in the vicinity. Doubtless someone is paying them to include their digs in the search but it is interesting never the less.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
My concern is theft of contents. Thieves are known to frequent motels to steal from cars. Oh, and they steal from U-Hauls too. It may be easy to find a small storage place for a month to stash your stuff until you find housing, many offer first month free.
Do you have any reference for this. I have moved between 15 and 20 times from one coast to the other from south to north, including one move to Germany and another to Hawaii. I have never had a car broken into and they were normally packed heavy. I have always wondered when I park at a motel about the security of my car, so I was wondering if you have a reference for this quote. Not looking for an argument, just the data.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #35

I've been pondering the same situation and am happy to read this thread. When I moved six years ago, I left almost everything behind, furniture especially, and mailed all desireable possessions to my new address. Breakables and valuables and financial files I brought with me in my car. I ended up buying new furnishings for about 3000K.

For this move I am in a similar quandry, go with what is cheaper or pay for the movers and keep my possessions. I have some things that I really don't want to give up and I know know how tiresome it is to shop and buy new furniture, etc. It took me a while and a made some immediate purchases of used furniture that I regretted and ended up replacing with cheap items.

Moving is complicated.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #36
Confused about dryer sheets

Last year, I moved from Boston to Phoenix. Same situation -- didn't have a car but needed to buy a car when I got here. I used U-Pack "pods" -- they are the smallest out there -- and the cheapest!! They have A+ customer service. Depending on where you live, it can take 3-7 days for delivery to your new home, so it's possible you will have found an apartment before the u-pack arrives. Also, if you haven't they will store it for free for 3 days and then its really, really cheap to store it on a monthly basis. Mail, UPS, or open a fedex GROUND account (for automatic 10% discount) the important stuff. The MOST important stuff -- buy a couple of cheap suitcases and try to fly an airplane with the least (or no) fees. The price of gas to drive is outrages -- plus the cost of car insurance at the place you purchase the car would probably be more expensive -- and then to pay taxes at both places and registration fees. You don't want to spend the time doing all of that!
doraflood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:57 PM   #37

Have you checked on a one way car rental? Some places allow that with an extra fee.

Depending on locations, try Craigslist for sharing a ride. I've given rides and helped transported items before. Just be safe about it.
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
moving
Old 03-16-2011, 02:42 PM   #38
Dryer sheet aficionado

moving

What I would probably do: Buy a car, sport ute or van. Move with all possessions (even if you have to buy a $200 utility trailer). You have 30 days to register so register in the new state. Rentals are a waste of money in that case. To me anyway.
Rent a u-haul, then rent a car when you get there? Then they would kill you on excess mileage bs. If you have time to shop you can buy just as cheap in your original location I'll bet.
donothing is offline   Reply With Quote