Join Early Retirement Today

Buying a car- negotiation struggles
Old 04-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Buying a car- negotiation struggles

Hey all - i need help! I'm looking to buy a car for my wife and its tougher than I thought. I went and looked at a 3 year old Jetta TDI wagon and they wanted $22,900. It has 35k miles. I offered 17,500. No go. The said they could go no lower than $22k. Really?? A 900$ cut? What happened to dealers marking up prices like crazy just to bait suckers. In the Internet age has the car dealership world changed?

How low should I expect to get a new or used car under the asking price?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nice job! Walking away is an excellent strategy. In my experience, if the dealership has your contact information, they always call in a couple of days if the vehicle remains unsold in order to renegotiate. Then you can come up $900!

Old 04-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
It all depends on how much they are asking. Same car on two lots, one priced at $22k, one priced at $26k, my guess is you can get more off the price from the one asking $26k

KBB.Com lists an estimate for a certified pre-owned 3 year old Jetta TDI wagon with 35k miles at $22,861.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Also looked it up on KBB (which everyone tends to use) and even if you were buying this car from a private seller you'd be looking at $18,500 or so on the price.

My guess is that getting the dealer down to 21.5K is possible... anything below that would be a steal. Remember that you are reducing the risk of getting a lemon by going to the dealer... that is obviously why you pay the higher price.

Good luck!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The asking price of a used car is nearly meaningless. Find out how much the car is worth from kbb.com as a guide to work from. Yes, some dealerships have changed, and some even do no-haggle prices that they don't move from.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Hey all - i need help! I'm looking to buy a car for my wife and its tougher than I thought. I went and looked at a 3 year old Jetta TDI wagon and they wanted $22,900. It has 35k miles. I offered 17,500. No go. The said they could go no lower than $22k. Really?? A 900$ cut? What happened to dealers marking up prices like crazy just to bait suckers. In the Internet age has the car dealership world changed?

I use blackbook prices, that is what dealers are getting retail

Black Book Weekly Values Lite

depending on condition, 22k is in the ball park. purchase from an individual would be a few $k less. Being a diesel probably gets a premium.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #7

I usually look at autotrader.com to see what other are selling the car for. Do a sort from low price to high to find out the best deal on the internet. That usually reflects the real price that the market will bear for the car assuming you are only looking at educated consumers.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for the quick responses! So- blue book is my low price? Anything less is luck? Or if I go in at month end when they need to meet quotas- can they go lower?

Also- am I looking at the wrong car? I want to retire at 50, but not hating life all the way there.

My wife needs cargo space to easily fit a double stroller.

Any model / year recommendations? I thought about a VW wagon from the early 00's with 100k miles- but I worry about VW reliability during that time.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

You have to
a) not fall in love with the car (at least that the dealer can see) - you're done if the dealer senses you want THAT car, and they're trained to recognize your "pulse,"
b) be willing to walk out (as you did), and
c) go to various dealers. In my experience the same car at various dealers can have a wide variance on pricing if you play them against each other, and it changes from year to year (on who is lowest).

It probably doesn't help that you went in at the beginning of a month after the end of a quarter, though for used cars that may not really apply (not sure, but it does for new ones).

With no options, this source says the car is worth $18-19K, but you never know until you test the bottom with 2-3 dealers at least. Best of luck...
http://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/je...e-results.html

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for the quick responses! So- blue book is my low price? Anything less is luck? Or if I go in at month end when they need to meet quotas- can they go lower?

Also- am I looking at the wrong car? I want to retire at 50, but not hating life all the way there.

My wife needs cargo space to easily fit a double stroller.

Any model / year recommendations? I thought about a VW wagon from the early 00's with 100k miles- but I worry about VW reliability during that time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
You have to a) not fall in love with the car (at least that the dealer can see), b) be willing to walk out (as you did), and c) go to various dealers. In my experience the same car at various dealers can have a wide variance on pricing if you play them against each other, and it changes from year to year (on who is lowest).

It probably doesn't help that you went in at the beginning of a month after the end of a quarter, though for used cars that may not really apply (not sure, but it does for new ones).

Some former auto dealer/salesman might chime in, but I do not think there is a quota on used car sales... it is not like they are getting incentives from the mfg to sell used cars... and that is why they usually try and meet quotas...

Now, if it is sitting on their lot for awhile, then they will deal as that is costing them money for it to sit...
Old 04-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #11

Room for double stroller implies two car seats.

Option I'd look at is a 2011-12 Kia Sedona if price is an issue and room real important. Won't get near the gas mileage of a TDI but gobs of cargo room and easy access to car seats. Parts could be an issue if the NOrth invades the South.

But it is a minivan, lots of folks won't consider it even though you can't beat them for roominess, stability, half decent gas mileage (compared to SUVs),

I've got two minivans and I won't be without one until the youngest graduates college, any other vehicle is a PITA. Mine are Ford's but not made anymore.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Also- am I looking at the wrong car? I want to retire at 50, but not hating life all the way there. . . .
VWs have a reputation as fun to drive and slightly high priced for what you get. They are solid, but not the reliable, drive-it-200K-miles-without-any-trouble cars that a Honda or Toyota sedan often proves to be. The Jetta TDIs have been more reliable than many VWs, but I'd still bet on a Honda, Toyota, or Subaru as being more reliable and less costly over the long haul. AS far as the turbodiesel: Crunch the numbers on alternatives and use the amount of miles you'll actually put onthe car to determine how fuel costs compare to maintenance costs in your case.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

We looked at dodge grand caravans- any thoughts on those? The Kias are more expensive
Old 04-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

You can get a better price from an individual, though selection is usually less. Have it checked out for $100 by an independent mechanic before you buy. Or buy still under warranty.

I pay a lot of attention to the seller - I prefer upper middle class that have maintained the car, but want to get more than they'd get from a dealer on trade.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We looked at dodge grand caravans- any thoughts on those? The Kias are more expensive
I'd look at Odyssey or Sienna as a better long term value. One transmission makes up for a higher initial sales price.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I am doing the same thing, but with a new 2013 Mini Cooper Paceman. I took in my trade and wanted 27k for it and 3K off the new car they offered 23K and nothing off the new car. I walked, now after several calls from them we are at 25K trade and 1k off the new car; I told them they need to do better, just waiting on their next call.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I'd look at Odyssey or Sienna as a better long term value. One transmission makes up for a higher initial sales price.
+1
Check www.edmunds.com for reliability ratings.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

A 3 year old Jetta TDI sports wagon could be a 09-10 model. Tell the seller that on the HPFP failure topic, there have been more than 5270 posts on TDI club forum since 2009. Also if the original faulty temp. sensor in DSG (auto trans model) hasnít been replaced, nor hasnít the ECU code been flashed yet, then expect to be left in limp mode all of sudden on a busy multi-lane highway due to conscious decision/logic by VW engineers. BTW, ask the seller to throw in a special engine oil filler kit so that you wonít have to turn the vehicle 180 degree upside down for DIY oil change. Even better, ask the seller to bundle a VCD software in the deal for DIY brake pads replacement job and priming fuel line after filter change. What else? Oh, youíd better to call your local VW dealer for a labor quote on a clogged DPF filter replacement.

So when all these things are being considered, your offer doesn't seem to be too far off. Do you still want that car now?
Old 04-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

It depends on the popularity of the car, among other things. You are asking $5500 off on one of the best gas mileage and popular cars in the US, and of course they said no..........

The Internet has been a blessing and a curse for car buyers and sellers..........

I have a friend that owns a 2-year old TDI wagon and gets calls from VW dealers as far as 200 miles away trying to buy his car from him!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You should be able to get a Dodge minivan at a good price. They sell with a lot of incentives new, so their trade value suffers, and good deals can be had. Even a DOdge will have lower maintenance costs than a VW..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote