Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Buying Second Deeds of Trust / Notes
Old 08-21-2005, 07:55 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Buying Second Deeds of Trust / Notes

Doubt there is really that much available out there these days, but when the housing market cools, there may be more carrybacks out there.

Anyone experienced in buying second DOT notes? Example ... former owner of a piece of real estate is holding a 15 year, 7% note, fully amortizing ... original principal, say $15K, and paid down to $12K. Buy the note for $XXK, and be ready to take the property if things go south.

I know some folks do this for a living ... anyone here experienced? What did you like, dislike, what were your processes to minimize risk, etc.? Thanks.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Buying Second Deeds of Trust / Notes
Old 08-22-2005, 09:02 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Over the years, my parents have tried to do this many times with commercial properties, but when they investigated , and more investigated would find something to preclude buying, like liens, etc. They still look though.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:21 AM   #3

A second deed of trust or mortgage is subject to the first. Thus, if there is a default on the first, you may have to step in and bring it current, or make other arrangements, all at a time when you don't have possession of the property. Makes it a risky proposition, so the returns need to be high enough for undertaking this risk.

I've done some tax lien/certificates investing which while it doens't give the same return potential (never got a property--but did the research and only bid on good properties) is not as risky if you do your homework and don't bid on junk properties.

Uncledrz
uncledrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:24 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

uncle, could you talk a bit about the tax lien thing? I have read a couple of books on the subject and it seems like it isn't that hard, but that you actually have to be there to do the research, buy the lien, etc. What kinds of returns did you get? Where did you buy the liens?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 01:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
uncle, could you talk a bit about the tax lien thing?* I have read a couple of books on the subject and it seems like it isn't that hard, but that you actually have to be there to do the research, buy the lien, etc.* What kinds of returns did you get?* Where did you buy the liens?
Brewer
I wrote a long explanation of the tax liens and then promptly lost it, so I'll try again, but maybe shorter.

Michigan did some in the 90's. Law has since changed. Was 1% return a month, then after 12 months (I think) went to a straight 50% gross return. Three years later you could foreclose and get either paid, or the property.

Florida late 90's early 2000's, bid against interest rate. So at auction if you bid 9% , 6% or 4.5% and are low, you get that rate. Same idea that after 3 (?) years can sue and foreclose, thus either get paid or property.

Never did in Illinois/Wisconsin so can't comment there.

Made 10-30% on Michigan properties, 5% in Florida, all cash on cash, not taking into account expenses.

Research of law and procedure is an absolute must. Also must spend time to know the area. Key is to not bid on junk property.

Just a short outline with a few points.

Good luck
Uncledrz
uncledrz is offline   Reply With Quote