Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Buying Service Credits
Old 02-18-2016, 01:38 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Buying Service Credits

I wanted to know what the members of the forum think on the topic of buying additional service credits; 5years/60 months addition.
Just finishing my 30 years service, state government pension and have the opportunity to buy an additional 5 years of service credits. Basically, an single premium annuity that can be funded from a 401k, etc. It appears the state fun is funded well and reasonably stable. Retirement set for May 1, 2016. TG.

Here's the details; $327/month added to pension; $56,500 cost. Cola'd at least payout is tied to an inflation indicator. If I die, the balance of the single payment is paid to my beneficiary, if it exists.

Health is ok to good, not great. "the dice roll"

From my analysis, it's a decent deal for me. However, I'd like to get some confirmation or a "go/no-go".
Thanks in advance.
jime444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2016, 01:48 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

$327/mo = $3,924/yr

Initial Cashflow Rate
$3,924 / $56,500 = 6.95%

And you have COLA on top. If I were in your shoes, that's a definite go for me.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:03 PM   #3

Don't know your age, but one way to look at is with a quote from immediateannuities.com.

A 55 YO male in Washington would pay $68,952 for a non-cola SPIA of $327/month. You're offered the same with a cola for $56,500 and you're hesitating?
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:10 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

These are often good deals and they can be funded with pre-tax money. In your shoes, I would strongly consider accepting this offer.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:28 PM   #5

I totally agree with the others. Go for it. I was a federal employee and paid to have my active duty time in the military added to my civilian time. The crossover for payback made it a no-brainer.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:35 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I had that opportunity, took it, and havent regretted it. 1035 exchange from 403b, no tax implications.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:53 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Looks like a great deal to me, provided the pension is well funded/solid.
robertf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:23 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a similar question recently (Sept./Oct 2015). I was told it was a "no brainer". Maximum I could buy was 4 years, and I did so with a transfer from my 401k from the same employer.
Wish I could have bought more.
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:48 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

For my DW, she was able to commit to purchase of 5 years back at hire date and price was based on her wage at that time. Screaming deal and paid monthly with pre-tax money!

Sent from my XT1254 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 02-23-2016, 06:20 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In case some wanting to purchase service credits are not aware of, if you pay for credits with after tax money, this portion of your pension is forever tax free. I purchased some of my credits with after tax money and a bit over $1000 each year is now tax free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:23 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
In case some wanting to purchase service credits are not aware of, if you pay for credits with after tax money, this portion of your pension is forever tax free. I purchased some of my credits with after tax money and a bit over $1000 each year is now tax free.

Are the earnings on the purchased amount also tax free or only the amount used to purchase the extra credits?

The worst decisions are made when angry or impatient.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Buying Service Credits
Old 02-23-2016, 10:53 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Buying Service Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Are the earnings on the purchased amount also tax free or only the amount used to purchase the extra credits?

The worst decisions are made when angry or impatient.

The way I understand it, the Government considers it "revenue neutral" in relation to whether you use pretax or aftertax over a course of a lifetime. I used about $85k to purchase 4 service years. I remember only having 60k in 403B and was about $25k short so I just cut the check with cash in my savings account to pay the rest. My pension rises 2% each year with COLA, but the $1035 that is tax free remains constant. It is actually segregated out automatically on my yearly 1099-R form. So my total pension earned is larger than what I actually report as pension income "earned" each year on my tax return.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
A 55 YO male in Washington would pay $68,952 for a non-cola SPIA of $327/month. You're offered the same with a cola for $56,500 and you're hesitating?
I'd jump on it but it does seem almost too good. The Feds offer an annuity payout for the TSP, according to the TSP calculator a $56500 annuity with increased payments and cash refund would start out with a $132/month payment. How is the state of Washington able to offer something that pays out almost 150% more than what one could get in the public market?
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:04 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Also from WA state, and just purchased 5 yrs service credit from PERS. Best deal around, especially if you are risk adverse.

Sent from my VS986 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
redshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:14 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift View Post
Also from WA state, and just purchased 5 yrs service credit from PERS. Best deal around, especially if you are risk adverse.

Sent from my VS986 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Tell me about it, I spent around $85k to buy 4 years and it bumped my pension almost $17k a year, plus 2% cola.....They have jacked contribution rate up quite a bit since I bought mine about 10 years ago, so the deal is not as sweet as mine was. But the odd thing was pension system said buying years was "immaterial" to system since very few people actually did it, even when I purchased. You had to have social security service years to buy, and very few people had them since the system did not pay into SS.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:38 PM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm a WA PERS guy too and hope I have this opportunity as well!
Highbeam is offline   Reply With Quote