Buying sports car/what is markup at dealer

chas57006

Dryer sheet aficionado
Like the title says I am planning on buying a sports car and I know there are many variations that could cause the price to be different.

Just looking for a ballpark number.
The vehicle I am looking at is listed for $28,500.
What do you think the cash price would be on a unit like this?

Thanks
Chas

There's no meaningful ballpark number, and your negotiating skills play a significant role. If it's a popular car in high demand, you could pay list or more. The less in demand, the greater the potential discount. Without specifying make/model or new/used, no one can give you a useable answer. Enter the specifics at http://www.edmunds.com/ and you'll get MSRP, invoice, TMV and ranges.

I entered a Mazda Miata just as an example, best of luck... 2013 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Club Price With True Market Value<sup>®</sup> .

Last edited:
Like the title says I am planning on buying a sports car and I know there are many variations that could cause the price to be different.

Just looking for a ballpark number.
The vehicle I am looking at is listed for $28,500.
What do you think the cash price would be on a unit like this?

Thanks
Chas

The dealer will probably charge you more for cash.:LOL: I used Truecar.com and got a pretty good deal.

Internet sales can also be lower.

I'll second Edmunds.com .

For my Porsche years ago, the recommended target price was MSRP! Some cars are popular enough to command premiums over MSRP. Your specific car will be different than others. Year-end clearances will also make a big difference.

DS bought a new Mazdaspeed 3 in 2010 for about $2k off MSRP. It was right in your price range. A desirable model, but towards the end of the model year, in a location where they were not as popular, and an web buy. Used versions up to 2 years old (with a significantly less powerful engine) were close to the same price. All depends.

In Jan 2010 no one was buying sports cars (combination of the economy and wintertime) and the dealer had one new 2009 model left that he really wanted off the lot. The manufacturer was offering incentives, as well. I bought the car at a 30% discount from MSRP. Checking the asking prices of used models today, the price I paid then is not much less than dealers are asking now for the same car, same miles. It helps to have a contact with a good salesperson - that's how I found this car. He's always treated us fairly, and between my friends and family, we've bought many cars from him.

Back
Top Bottom