Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Buying right
Old 12-17-2008, 07:55 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Buying right

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
This may be true, although, from your Dec and Jan tables of index ratios, it looks like you are guaranteed to lose about 2.4% of accrued principal between today and the end of January.
Since I hold all bonds until maturity, the trick is to time a TIP purchase so that the price paid, plus the current inflation index for that bond adds to about the amount of principal you get back at maturity.

For the TIP I bought yesterday, the price plus index meant I paid about $25100 for a $25k TIP. At maturity, you always get back face no matter what.

For those who are interested in buying individual TIPS, this is a list of all the TIPS issues from the Treasury.

More recent TIPS have lower indexes. Your broker will usually have most of these available for resale, and can quote to you the yield to maturity for each bond.
Yesterday, pricing for most bonds produced YTM of about 3%+.
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2008, 03:27 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
So, how does one look at the secondary market to figure out what news TIPS will likely yield? I'm thinking about buying 20 year TIPS in the January auction, but would like to know going in what the result is likely to be.

You can look at how the closest maturity is trading on Bloomberg the week of the auction, it should be a good indicator.

Bloomberg.com: Government Bonds
Old 12-18-2008, 04:32 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'll also add that the Treasury tries to estimate the yield when setting the coupon - it seems they are targeting these to sell around par. They don't get it exactly right, of course, but they're close. Last year they set the coupon at 1.75 and I think the auction came out around 1.8.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:37 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

There is an ETF for TIPS symbol TIP which is a good tool to use to get an idea of the current pricing of and demand for TIPS. The 52week range was 84 to 112. Pricing is volatile. Today, the TIP etf is trading over 101. Just two days ago before the latest FED cut, it was in the 96 range. It is obviously better to buy at the lower end.
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote