Join Early Retirement Today

CA Muni Bonds - Anybody buying?
Old 03-01-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

CA Muni Bonds - Anybody buying?

Anybody plan to buy the upcoming $1.75 billion CA Muni Bonds?

What maturity are you intending to buy?

Comments welcomed.

mP
Disappointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2008, 09:19 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm not planning on buying any CA Muni Bonds on my own But, I am considering buying into VCAIX (Vanguard Calif. Intermediate-Term Exempt Fund). The LA Times (a day or two ago) business section suggested that this (right now) is a good time to buy Calif. bonds and but it might be a better to wait until the bonds you mentioned come out.

If I find an ETF that suits my needs a bit better than VCAIX, I'll go with them.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:21 AM   #3

buy vallejo
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:32 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Redduck, I own BCK, PCK, and EVM, all ETFs, they all got killed during the last couple of weeks, they are all leveraged. I bought them because they are AMT free. They are all yielding over 5% now. Go to etfconnect.com to see the NAV vs. Closing Price. I have own them for couple of years now. PCK has the most trading volume, BCK and EVM are thinly traded. PCK is still trading at permium. I also like NKX but do not own it. The only drawback of these ETFs is that they are thinly traded making them expensive to trade (big spread between bid/ask, small order makes it difficult to accumulate a big position).

The individual CA Muni bonds are available for individual investors today and tomorrow. They are rated A+, the 10 years and 30 years are juicy (5% and over). I am surprised that nobody is interested in them.

mP
Disappointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:53 PM   #5

Thanks, Disappointed. I trotted off to etfconnect (it's a favorite place of mine) and checked out the funds you noted--and, yes, they are thinly traded. These funds are puny, "Puny, I say," in size as compared to VCAIX, so come tomorrow morn, VCAIX it will be.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote