Join Early Retirement Today

Calling all foreign ERs
Old 08-12-2006, 02:09 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Calling all foreign ERs

I know there are a couple of you out there so I just wanted to ask what you do about your state taxes. You always have to file a 1040, but do you do a non-resident form for the state where you last lived too?

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Calling all foreign ERs
Old 08-12-2006, 02:20 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I live in TX, but still have income from NY state derived sources, so I file a non-resident NY state tax return each year. TX has no state income tax.

Years ago, NY tried to collect taxes on IRA withdrawals of NY source income even though the recipient had since moved out of state. It didn't succeed.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 03:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
I live in TX, but still have income from NY state derived sources, so I file a non-resident NY state tax return each year. TX has no state income tax.

Years ago, NY tried to collect taxes on IRA withdrawals of NY source income even though the recipient had since moved out of state. It didn't succeed.
Thanks LOL, I figured that once you permanently move out of state and become domiciled somewhere else any dividend, capital gains etc will be taxed where you
currently live. So I'm thinking that unless I have a business or rental property in my previos state I won't have to file a tax form with them

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Old 08-12-2006, 03:56 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

nun, did you see this thread on "US Expats and state taxes"?

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=5477.0

Old 08-12-2006, 04:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
nun, did you see this thread on "US Expats and state taxes"?

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=5477.0

Thanks I'll read it. It's looking like I'll only have to file with the state once I start taking the IRA/401k distributions as reasonably enough they want the state tax that was deferred

Old 08-12-2006, 04:50 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun
Thanks I'll read it. It's looking like I'll only have to file with the state once I start taking the IRA/401k distributions as reasonably enough they want the state tax that was deferred
That's one reason why folks move to a no-state-income tax state when they retire.
Here's another article from today that comments on this:today.reuters.com

(I'm sure someone will make the link tiny) (Will small do?)
Old 08-12-2006, 06:17 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

nun,

**quote**not working**
It's looking like I'll only have to file with the state once I start taking the IRA/401k distributions as reasonably enough they want the state tax that was deferred

be careful here, for example PA taxes 401K's now and does not when withdrawn. KY gives an exclusion of 44,000 +/- when withdrawn and over that it would be taxed twice.
My point is investigate how the destination state handles it to avoid surprises. It may not be handled like the feds.

job
obryanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:15 PM   #8

I am in the process of moving out of NY to AZ. I am now wondering, outside owning NY real estate property or a NY business, neither which I own, what constitutes state derived sources?
Old 08-12-2006, 07:37 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond
I am in the process of moving out of NY to AZ. I am now wondering, outside owning* NY real estate property or a NY business, neither which I own, what constitutes state derived sources?
For me it is getting a 1099 for consulting work done in NY even though my tax home is TX.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun
Well I was wrong, here's some words from the MA DOR tax site. Looks like I'll be taxed
by the Feds on IRA distributions, but not by MA is I'm not a resident.

27. How do I determine the amount of taxable IRA distribution in Massachusetts?

Non Roth IRA distributions received by a full year and/or part-year resident are not taxed in Massachusetts until the original contributions are fully recovered. Only those contributions that have been made by taxpayers while Massachusetts residents are considered.

Nonresidents are not subject to tax on these distributions, nor are they taxed on rollover amounts into Roth IRAs in Massachusetts. Massachusetts follows the federal rules concerning rollovers from existing IRAs to Roth IRAs. However, similar to the Massachusetts treatment of IRA distributions, the amount includible on the Massachusetts return by a Massachusetts full year and/or part-year resident will only include the amounts in excess of the original contributions.

Old 08-13-2006, 06:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
For me it is getting a 1099 for consulting work done in NY even though my tax home is TX.
I forgot about w**king in NY. Haven't done that either.