Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
In anticipation for changing ISP 2 years ago, I changed my e-mail address to one that is not tied to an ISP (hotmail and gmail).
I wish I had thought of that a little over a year ago when I moved and changed ISP providers.... oh, well

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski

I wish I had thought of that a little over a year ago when I moved and changed ISP providers.... oh, well
I changed last summer as well, and agree it is quite a task to switch e/m identities. My "honeymoon" period with the new ISP (AT&T) is ending, but I anticipate a move to the east coast soon so I'll rethink (and allocate a day for e/m changes if I switch). My major concern about Gmail is privacy, but maybe that's unfounded.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Thanks for the ideas. I heard that it is difficult to get the computer - wireless-TV connection to work reliably eg have to watch some of the movies on the computer because the TV connection is not working for that movie. Have you had this problem?
If your are referring to the playon.tv interface, yes, it is not seamless, but works fine most of the time.

For straight viewing of TV through a network's web site, I've thought about upgrading my video card (and power supply to handle the increased demand) and route an HDMI cable from the computer to the TV. Has anyone had success with this? Any issues getting sound to the TV to work properly with the HDMI configuration?
Old 07-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
No cable TV at all, just free TV and Netflix steaming + 1 DVD at a time for the things that are not streamed

I wish I could find cheaper DSL. My phone company wants $35 a month and requires the use of their modem/router, another $7 a month. So I stay with Clear and no wires!

Only one cell phone, but I will probably add an Ooma like service for the increased security of more phones scatter around the house.
How much does their modem cost? You may be able to buy it from them (or on eBay) and pay back the cost of the modem very quickly.

-- Rita
Old 07-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

My goodness, some of you are making my $150/mo phone/internet/hdtv plan look cheap! Some of these were new ideas/offerings to me so thanks everybody for the inputs. No clue what a TK6000 is but will look into it.

Anybody finding any savings using a cellular hotspot for the house? I hear those are coming down in price...
Old 07-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by web_diva View Post
My goodness, some of you are making my $150/mo phone/internet/hdtv plan look cheap! Some of these were new ideas/offerings to me so thanks everybody for the inputs. No clue what a TK6000 is but will look into it.

Anybody finding any savings using a cellular hotspot for the house? I hear those are coming down in price...
The TK6000 model and $100 lifetime model is no longer around. It's been replaced by a device called a Nettalk Duo. You can get more on that at www.nettalk.com

(Also, I believe Walmart and Amazon carries them).
Old 07-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #27

I use free OTA TV, Netflix, a landline with DSL, and a prepaid cell phone that costs $100/year.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #28
gone traveling

Just last week I called Time Warner Cable because their constant "invoice creep" has been a constant source of annoyance for over a decade. Seems their entire business structure is built around upward price pressure yet they yield the opposite result - they end up lowering their rates in order to keep business. Perhaps if they just left things alone?

Anyway, I was paying close to $100 a month for internet and HD cable. When I was done with the call, our bill was cut in half to $49.95 for the turbo internet (20mbps) and it also includes basic cable, which is all we ever end up watching anyway.

With the growing capabilities and selection of streaming video over the internet, they really do need to preserve the market they still have and that would include not driving business away by constantly trying to increase rates.

Case in point, if my invoice had not gone up by $3 a month starting last month, they'd still be getting twice as much from me each month as they are now.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

DSL currently $24.99 a mth (6mb).
Cell phone T-Mobile $30 a month no contract - 100min talk, unlim web/text (5gb).
Home Phone - $0 a month (Majik Jack)...
Old 08-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

just stumbled across this article today that has some new ideas too...esp in the comments at the bottom

Cutting the Cord on Cable TV's Pricey Monthly Bill -- Savings Experiment - DailyFinance
Old 08-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

For those who just cant give up the satellite (like me) you might consider calling customer retention to see what discounts they may offer you, to keep you. I called Direct TV friday and got a $20 monthly discount off my bill for signing up for a year long contract. I had been off contract for a few months so that may have helped my cause. Being with them for 10 years, I wasn't leaving anyways. I didn't threaten them or anything, I just simply asked if I was eligible for any discounts being a long time loyal subscriber. I read that Direct lost customers last month so they maybe eager to retain some!

Tags
home tv/phone/net package