calling all frugals $$$

My goodness, some of you are making my $150/mo phone/internet/hdtv plan look cheap! Some of these were new ideas/offerings to me so thanks everybody for the inputs. No clue what a TK6000 is but will look into it.

Anybody finding any savings using a cellular hotspot for the house? I hear those are coming down in price...

The TK6000 model and $100 lifetime model is no longer around. It's been replaced by a device called a Nettalk Duo. You can get more on that at www.nettalk.com

(Also, I believe Walmart and Amazon carries them).

I use free OTA TV, Netflix, a landline with DSL, and a prepaid cell phone that costs $100/year.

Just last week I called Time Warner Cable because their constant "invoice creep" has been a constant source of annoyance for over a decade. Seems their entire business structure is built around upward price pressure yet they yield the opposite result - they end up lowering their rates in order to keep business. Perhaps if they just left things alone?

Anyway, I was paying close to $100 a month for internet and HD cable. When I was done with the call, our bill was cut in half to $49.95 for the turbo internet (20mbps) and it also includes basic cable, which is all we ever end up watching anyway.

With the growing capabilities and selection of streaming video over the internet, they really do need to preserve the market they still have and that would include not driving business away by constantly trying to increase rates.

Case in point, if my invoice had not gone up by $3 a month starting last month, they'd still be getting twice as much from me each month as they are now.

DSL currently $24.99 a mth (6mb).
Cell phone T-Mobile $30 a month no contract - 100min talk, unlim web/text (5gb).
Home Phone - $0 a month (Majik Jack)...

For those who just cant give up the satellite (like me) you might consider calling customer retention to see what discounts they may offer you, to keep you. I called Direct TV friday and got a $20 monthly discount off my bill for signing up for a year long contract. I had been off contract for a few months so that may have helped my cause. Being with them for 10 years, I wasn't leaving anyways. I didn't threaten them or anything, I just simply asked if I was eligible for any discounts being a long time loyal subscriber. I read that Direct lost customers last month so they maybe eager to retain some!

Back
Top Bottom