Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 07:05 AM   #301
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
Yeah, I've read his negative stuff before. But just for the sake of argument, what would one do right now?
Buy a gun and two bullets. Use the second one if you miss your head with the first.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2008, 07:27 AM   #302
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Buy a gun and two bullets. Use the second one if you miss your head with the first.
So I take it you don't think another depression occur?
Old 11-18-2008, 07:34 AM   #303
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So I take it you don't think another depression occur?
Shoot, me?

No, I don't.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:44 AM   #304
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
....Just wondering what one could do now if they truly believed a depression was coming.
For starters, realize the difference between economics and emotion. Dawg, you have so much going for you to save you from the street. Secondly, know the difference between Wall Street and the street. Anyone care to add to this nonsense, "direct your feet to the sunny side of the street"?

This is what I will try to do whether I think a Depression is coming or not. Realize that a portfolio will fluctuate as it is being drawn down. Take another look at FIRE CALC that many of us accepted when the DOW was at 13,000. I accept that this year I may lose my cushion, next year I may be into the main number I retired on. That was part of the deal I made. When I ran the numbers, I could have retired on a number 20% less, so I tell myself, I will still be okay for a long time.

And as a practical matter, I won't look at the numbers too often.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:08 AM   #305
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Shoot, me?
Ok, better you than me.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:28 AM   #306
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

just do the opposite of what this guy says and you should be OK. i've been watching him on CNBC for over a year and he's been wrong every time.

Charts Predict: Dow to 6,700 in 'Accelerated' Slump - Companies * Europe * News * Story - CNBC.com

Quote:
The Dow Jones Industrial Average could sink as low as 6,700 before the year is out, in another accelerated down move similar to October's slump, Roelof van den Akker, chartist from ING Wholesale Banking, told CNBC.

"The price target for this year is still 6,700, so that's a lot of downside potential," Akker told "Squawk Box Europe."
Charts of the Dow show the "completion of a bearish pattern," which is "suggesting the same accelerated down move as back in October," Akker said.
The Dow lost over 13 percent of its value in October. It closed at 8,273.58 on Monday, which is over 1,500 points higher than Akker's prediction for the year.
If the Dow closes below 8,175 then the next level of support for the index will be between 7,450 and 7,200, which were the October lows of 2002 and 2003, Akker said.
"The picture is bearish and we expect lower prices within the coming days and also weeks," he added.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:25 AM   #307
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Just wondering what one could do now if they truly believed a depression was coming.
I'd ask Paul Farrell if he's hiring.

Oh, wait, depression and not Depression? In the case of the little "d" then I'd consult a doctor. The submarine force has been testing out these amazing anti-depressants...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:39 AM   #308
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

Oh, wait, depression and not Depression? In the case of the little "d" then I'd consult a doctor. The submarine force has been testing out these amazing anti-depressants...
That's my backup plan. I'm hoarding codeine.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:44 AM   #309
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Excuse me for posting.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:52 AM   #310
gone traveling

Quote:
Just wondering what one could do now if they truly believed a depression was coming.
Stock up on beans, baloney, and bullets.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:57 AM   #311
Give me a forum ...

Hang in there - bundle up for a long winter. There was a guy on the news giving away his season tickets to the Chiefs after last Sundays loss to the Saint's and there were tv interviews of scalpers out front with unsold tickets. Plus Monday I had to get his 13 yr old from school - head cold from the game - he was working.

Sometimes these things take longer to sort out than we can watch and worry.

Pssst Wellesley - 5.84% SEC yield and the Norwegian widow owns 5/10 of their top ten dividend stocks.

heh heh heh - we gotta be close. Unfortunately we could bump along for a while.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:59 AM   #312
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

All those things our Depression-era parents told us to do (Young Dreamers, we are probably talking about your grandparents). Here are some that I recall:
  • Pay off the mortgage and all debt.
  • Save money any way you can.
  • Develop a lot of varied skills to make money off the books, rather than from a job.
  • Grow vegetables
  • Learn to can.
  • Use a clothesline rather than paying for a dryer
  • Use space heaters or a wood stove, not central HVAC
  • Pray a lot (I'm going to skip this one! )
  • Be kind to others in need, because you might need them to be kind to you one day.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 11-18-2008, 10:01 AM   #313

this thread is deliciously ironic
Old 11-18-2008, 10:03 AM   #314
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
heh heh heh - we gotta be close. Unfortunately we could bump along for a while.
I hope you are right about being close! I just have no idea at all of what to expect in the next few years. Guess we can play it by ear.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 11-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I hope you are right about being close! I just have no idea at all of what to expect in the next few years. Guess we can play it by ear.
I would expect a long slog back up. There will be selling at all rally levels as investors continue to get out of equities. Many people (myself included) have readjusted their risk level and that means less equities going forward. So if I plan to lighten on a substantial rally I would expect many others to do the same. I think many people have soured on equities (and Wall st. in general) and it will take some time to bring them back. Just my .02 worth.

BTW I'm not glum about it and plan to live my life to the fullest possible.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:40 PM   #316
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Excuse me for posting.
Hey, no offense intended. In a thread full of other jokers I thought you were yukking it up with the rest of the crowd. Or perhaps I was misled when you posted that photo of a smoking gun.

Whether it was a Depression or a depression, I think you'd draw the line at giving up golf.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:44 PM   #317
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey, no offense intended. In a thread full of other jokers I thought you were yukking it up with the rest of the crowd. Or perhaps I was misled when you posted that photo of a smoking gun.

Whether it was a Depression or a depression, I think you'd draw the line at giving up golf.
No problem. I probably am depressed. Think I will go bang my head for a while.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:40 PM   #318
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
No problem. I probably am depressed. Think I will go bang my head for a while.

I think I may join you . The constant downward market is getting to me .
Old 11-18-2008, 01:57 PM   #319
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
I would expect a long slog back up. There will be selling at all rally levels as investors continue to get out of equities. Many people (myself included) have readjusted their risk level and that means less equities going forward. So if I plan to lighten on a substantial rally I would expect many others to do the same. I think many people have soured on equities (and Wall st. in general) and it will take some time to bring them back. Just my .02 worth.
I thought along these lines too, BD, but now I'm changing my outlook. My little voice is telling me that the individuals who stayed in are going to stay in. The sellers are the hedge funds, etc., who have to get out. Only when they are all out, the bottom will be reached. When the market goes back up there are a lot of risk-averse individuals who will get back in once we they feel like the bottom has been reached. The people who are already in will see their portfolios rebuilding and will not pull out.

This is my opinion based on that little voice in my head
Old 11-18-2008, 03:17 PM   #320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I thought along these lines too, BD, but now I'm changing my outlook. My little voice is telling me that the individuals who stayed in are going to stay in. The sellers are the hedge funds, etc., who have to get out. Only when they are all out, the bottom will be reached. When the market goes back up there are a lot of risk-averse individuals who will get back in once we they feel like the bottom has been reached. The people who are already in will see their portfolios rebuilding and will not pull out.

This is my opinion based on that little voice in my head
I like your opinion more than mine.