Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Can a gift card be returned for refund?
Old 08-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Can a gift card be returned for refund?

I received a Mastercard gift card purchased from Wal-mart. The giver thoughtfully included the receipt. While grateful for the gift, I'd rather have what the giver paid for it - especially since there's a $3.94 activation fee.

Has anyone ever returned a gift card to the place of purchase for a refund?

Thanks,

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2014, 06:07 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Generally, no refunds. But you can check.

If you have a PIN number, you can set up a Amex BlueBird account and transfer the money to that account. Then, you can transfer it anywhere, or write a check on it.

Most girt cards have a PIN number.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

They work at the grocery store.
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I would just spend it anywhere I can use a credit card - grocery store, gas pump, etc. where I was going to spend money anyway.
prudent_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudent_one View Post
I would just spend it anywhere I can use a credit card - grocery store, gas pump, etc. where I was going to spend money anyway.
That's what I did with the $300 rebate AMEX card that Canon sent me on the printer I bought. Spent it all at the grocery store on stuff I was going to buy anyway.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:49 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Mastercard/Visa gift cards are great in that you can just spend them like a regular credit card.

I've seen Coinstar kiosks in grocery stores where you can exhange gift cards (Mastercard not one of them) for cash. I've never used Coinstar before, but here's a link:

https://www.coinstar.com/coinstarexchange
Old 08-03-2014, 08:54 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I get one of these I use it to make a partial payment on my utility bill. Then I can keep the cash I didn't use for the bill.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-03-2014, 02:28 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Thanks - I have zero problems knowing how to spend the card.

I just wondered if anyone had ever returned one, that was given as a gift, for cash.

Apparently, no one has.

A.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gift card, mastercard, refund