Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-25-2015, 05:47 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well a resume is still out there but every inch of my body aches at the thought of going back to w*rk.
I am not sure what is plan A or plan B. And I am gearing up to complete FIRE. Of course I have thoughtabout that for a while but it now feels like I am checking a parachute gear before jumping).

Portfolio is invested approximately in
40% - total stock index
20% - total international index
40% - intermediate bond fund (Tax free for the non-tax deferred portion)

My plan would be to leave the tax deferred portion alone, go to distributed dividends and draw from the Taxable portion to maintain constant allocation.

Assuming I want to maximize total return I should be OK?
perinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2015, 06:18 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For the second time... you should be ok. As you draw from taxable you periodically rebalance using your tax-deferred accounts.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:08 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by perinova View Post
Are you saying that I can't rely on the FAFSA indicating EFC=0 when doing the calculation? I have to contact the school?
Good luck with an EFC of $0 if you have $1.2M in taxable assets. You have to be able to file 1040A or 1040EZ at tax time to meet the Simplified Means Test. Doable, but not an easy task given you will probably be selling financial assets which must be reported on a Schedule D.

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:44 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by perinova View Post
Are you saying that I can't rely on the FAFSA indicating EFC=0 when doing the calculation? I have to contact the school?
EFC=0 is irrelevant if the school isn't "need blind and meets 100% of need." Vanishingly few grad schools are in this category. (If memory serves, there are only about 100 undergrad programs that do so.)
Old 10-25-2015, 10:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSour View Post
Good luck with an EFC of $0 if you have $1.2M in taxable assets. You have to be able to file 1040A or 1040EZ at tax time to meet the Simplified Means Test. Doable, but not an easy task given you will probably be selling financial assets which must be reported on a Schedule D.
nanosour: EFC=0 is under the assumption that the a student is above 24. or already in grad school. In those cases, as I learned recently, the parents assets and income will not be looked at.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
EFC=0 is irrelevant if the school isn't "need blind and meets 100% of need." Vanishingly few grad schools are in this category. (If memory serves, there are only about 100 undergrad programs that do so.)
do you know where this data is available?