Join Early Retirement Today

Can I put money in both a Roth 403(b) and regular Roth IRA?
Old 07-13-2008, 04:55 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Can I put money in both a Roth 403(b) and regular Roth IRA?

I started a new job this year, and one of the benefits is access to a Roth 403(b) plan, which I promptly signed up for, contributing the maximum. Now that the market is tanking I was thinking of going ahead and making a lowball estimate of what I can put in my regular Roth IRA account for 2008. I only have limited US-earned income, so it isn't much, but might as well take advantage of the current "fire sale". I believe that I am allowed to invest in both (our combined incomes are less than any of the AGI/MAGI thresholds). Can anybody point me to information that would verify this is the case? I've tried googling but somehow the stuff I am turning up is not so straightforward in how it addresses this question.

Thanks!

lhamo
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2008, 07:18 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

This is the applicable IRS publication that talks about IRAs, including both traditional and Roths: Publication 590 (2007), Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs)

The short answer is yes you can contribute to a Roth IRA even if you are covered by a retirement plan at work, provided that your income does not exceed the limits and you in fact have compensation income. I assume you are a US citizen.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:01 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Strange -- the TOC shows up but when I click on the links the text shows briefly but then disappears. Maybe because it is a 2007 reference file? Anyway, thanks for the link and the info. I am a U.S. citizen.

lhamo
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Publication 590 (2007), Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs) is another link.

They don't have a 2008 version.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote