Join Early Retirement Today

Can I re-characterize a Roth Conv if the account is closed?
Old 12-04-2015, 06:12 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Can I re-characterize a Roth Conv if the account is closed?

I have a Trad-IRA that is about the amount that I could convert to Roth this year. I'm thinking of converting the entire amount, so the account would be at zero.

There's a chance this will be too much, and I will want to re-char early in 2016. But would the old Roth be closed already? Would I need to open a new Roth or something?

If it's only a little over, I won;t bother. After lecturing my Mother and MIL about all these many accounts they have, I'm trying to take my own advice and simplify!

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2015, 06:19 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'd say it depends on the custodian holding your Roth, and whether they routinely close accounts with a zero balance.

In my experience most custodians keep those accounts open.

If you're really worried about it you could leave a few bucks unconverted in the Roth.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:40 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
I'd say it depends on the custodian holding your Roth, and whether they routinely close accounts with a zero balance.

In my experience most custodians keep those accounts open.

If you're really worried about it you could leave a few bucks unconverted in the Roth.
It's with Fidelity, I guess I'll just call them to be sure. It usually seems like they keep the accounts open for some time.

-ERD50
Old 12-04-2015, 06:49 PM   #4

but if they close the account, and you open a new one, you'll still have the same number of accounts.......unless you're also tracking closed accounts. Schwab also leaves 0 balance accounts open until you can't stand it and ask them to close it. Same w/ VG is my experience.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:38 PM   #5

I'm with Fidelity. I Roth convert into about 12 new Roth accounts each year. I then recharacterize the entire (or partial for the last one) Roth accounts that I don't want to keep. I recharacterize into a tIRA that I don't mind not Roth converting from until the recharacterized shares are properly aged. The first year I recharacterized into a brand new tIRA that I opened just for that purpose.

I do have a problem with Fidelity closing my empty Roth accounts after I recharacterize, despite asking them to leave the accounts open. That means I have to open another bunch of Roth accounts each year. But tracking a bunch of $0 accounts isn't a big deal.

So Fidelity may indeed close your tIRA (I don't know their exact timing), but you can open a new tIRA and recharacterize into it very easily if you need to.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:39 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post

So Fidelity may indeed close your tIRA (I don't know their exact timing), but you can open a new tIRA and recharacterize into it very easily if you need to.
I made the conversion today, and asked beforehand. She said it would stay open for 'a few months'. I'm pretty sure I won't need to rechar anyhow, and it does sound like just opening a new one isn't a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
but if they close the account, and you open a new one, you'll still have the same number of accounts.......unless you're also tracking closed accounts. Schwab also leaves 0 balance accounts open until you can't stand it and ask them to close it. Same w/ VG is my experience.
I'm not opening a new Roth, I already have both a Roth and a tIRA at Fidelity. So if I convert the entire amount of the tIRA, it can be closed, one less account. But even if I rechar this year, I'll pull out the small remaining amount next year, and then it will be closed.

After this is done, I need to decide about rolling this and my Vanguard Roth together. Not sure which way I'll go - leaning to Fidelity though. I had generally preferred Vanguard, but when dealing with my FIL and MIL accounts, having the B&M office was an advantage.

Next year, do this dance with DW's tIRA and Roth.

-ERD50