Can I save money by going from Allstate to Costco insurances?

robnplunder

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have house, auto, and umbrella insurances with Allstate. I keep getting "reminders" from Costco to go with their insurance but have been too lazy to give them a call. Have anyone done that or something similar? Is there a real saving going with Costco insurance? I don't want to waste 1/2 hour working with Costco rep only to find out there is not much saving. Any help or sharing of your experience would be much appreciated.

(Trying to lower my expense before going to RE)

I haven't checked out Costco's program. But in our area, Allstate seems to be pretty expensive. I think it would be worth your time to check it out. I'd go one step further and contact a broker to shop the rates of several insurance companies. I was able to save quite a bit overall between home, auto and umbrella.

I received a Costco change your insurance letter last week. The insurance company listed as their partner here is Ameriprise.

Last edited:
I received a Costco change your insurance letter last week. The insurance company listed as their partner here is Ameriprise.

Right. As soon as I saw that name, I tossed the solicitation. :sick:

I have house, auto, and umbrella insurances with Allstate. I keep getting "reminders" from Costco to go with their insurance but have been too lazy to give them a call. Have anyone done that or something similar? Is there a real saving going with Costco insurance? I don't want to waste 1/2 hour working with Costco rep only to find out there is not much saving. Any help or sharing of your experience would be much appreciated.

(Trying to lower my expense before going to RE)

We got a Insurance Broker that was recommended by friends that have a
business that deal with Insurance Claims.

They can shop around and give you a number of quotes.

I forget how much they saved us but it was enough to change and the
new co. was highly rated

IMHO, I think everyone needs to shop around for insurance every few years. I did that last year and I was able reduce my cost by over 40%.

What I initially did was to get quotes online after I got the bill for another policy increase from Allstate. The quotes ranged between a 20-30% reduction. I was about to change, but I decided to give my independent agent one last shot and that's when we got the low quote from another company they represent.

It was close to cutting the cost in half. What we saved for 6 months for auto would almost pay for 1 year with the new company. Also, the refund from our homeowners policy (4 months in), was larger than the new premium.

I figure we'll do it again in another 3-4 years if our premiums go up like Allstate was doing to us.

I used to have Allstate insurance back in the 1990's, when I was married. After the divorce, I never told the insurance company, so I kept the lower married rate.

I remember when I bought a 2000 Dodge Intrepid, in late 1999, it was $900 per year with full coverage, at the cheaper married rate. At least, I think married was still cheaper than single. Anyway, I switched to Erie Insurance Group, and that same car was $560 per year, and that was at the single rate!

So, I dunno about Costco, but maybe this is further evidence that Allstate is a bit on the pricey side?

I have Ameriprise through Costco (car and house) and it's significantly cheaper than anything else I ever tried (allstate, state farm, mercury, geico etc). YMMV

Ok, so, instead of being lazy, I checked out Geico & Costco (Ameriprise) on on-line. I will have to deal with extra e-mails and unsolicited calls from them later.

Both Geico & Costco auto insurances are significantly cheaper than that of Allstate.
Home insurances were more on par for all 3 but Allstate was the cheapest, followed by Costco and Geico. Since all 3 gives discount on having multiple policies, it does not make sense to go with different companies for auto, house, umbrella insurances. I am now leaning toward switching to Costco insurances.

Thanks for those who responded. Others, please feel free to contribute if you have better ideas.

If you have your Allstate policies through an independent agent, call them and have them check the other carriers they represent (easier since they have your info). Our new policies were through Safeco which significantly reduced both our auto and homeowners premiums. You can check to see if they sell insurance in your area.

Thanking you in advance for the post about COSTCO offering auto insurance. I didn't know they offered it. However, every time I check out another company, there seems to be some hangup. Like, they are not writing policies in my state or my age bracket does not afford the best rate. I've checked the last three years and no one has been able to beat 21st Century. However, I'll give it one more shot by trying COSTCO.

Back
Top Bottom