Join Early Retirement Today

Can someone please point me to some resources
Old 11-15-2014, 01:36 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Can someone please point me to some resources

Hi all,

Wife and I are going to be FIRE'd April 1 2015. I have read as much as I can about time segmentation (buckets of money) approach with SWR and "other" withdrawal methods. Can someone please tell me where I can find a "step by step" as to what accounts and what asset classes one takes from when the market is up, when the market is down for the year?? Why do people say time segmentation is no good or just a mental trick if it keeps you from selling stock shares when the market is down, allowing you to use "short term reserves/cash" allowing stocks to recover. When they do, how do you replenish everything-- this is why I feel I need something like the vanguard managed payout which has a professional doing all of this for me. On the other hand it has a 0.34 expense ratio for the privilege of doing this management.

I was hoping for a step by step "rules of thumb". Also, if you are going to be tax efficient and keep bonds in IRA space, that is only 20% of my networth with 80% in taxable accounts. Would I have to 72T them as I am 48?
Quantum Sufficit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I found this info from Morningstar's Christine Benz particularly helpful. It is available in both video and transcript forms http://www.morningstar.com/cover/vid...1676&SR=EVZ128
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Dana Anspach at Money Over 55 has this article and movie on bucket strategies:
Is Reliable Retirement Plan Income Worth Your Time?
Old 11-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum Sufficit View Post
Hi all,

Wife and I are going to be FIRE'd April 1 2015. I have read as much as I can about time segmentation (buckets of money) approach with SWR and "other" withdrawal methods. Can someone please tell me where I can find a "step by step" as to what accounts and what asset classes one takes from when the market is up, when the market is down for the year?? Why do people say time segmentation is no good or just a mental trick if it keeps you from selling stock shares when the market is down, allowing you to use "short term reserves/cash" allowing stocks to recover. When they do, how do you replenish everything-- this is why I feel I need something like the vanguard managed payout which has a professional doing all of this for me. On the other hand it has a 0.34 expense ratio for the privilege of doing this management.

I was hoping for a step by step "rules of thumb". Also, if you are going to be tax efficient and keep bonds in IRA space, that is only 20% of my networth with 80% in taxable accounts. Would I have to 72T them as I am 48?
The Bucket Strategy® | Lucia Capital Group

I listen to this podcast all the time. They give info all the time about the "The bucket strategy".

The Ray Lucia show and the Boomers Braintrust are both great podcasts.
purplesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 01:16 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I think this depends a lot on how much $$$ you have saved, possible pensions, and your spending needs, and even the allotment of your buckets.
But at age 48, sounds like you have been doing something right
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote