Join Early Retirement Today

Can Vanguard update Emigrant Direct balances?
Old 10-08-2007, 04:35 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Can Vanguard update Emigrant Direct balances?

I have linked all my financial accounts into my vanguard account, so that I can see my complete net worth on one page. The problem I'm having is that because Emigrant Direct requires additional credentials (e.g. birthdate, SS#), the vanguard system always says it can't refresh the Emigrant account balance.

The only workaround I've found is to delete and recreate the Emigrant account from the vanguard page. At that time vanguard will ask me for the birthdate or SS# or whatever it needs. But once the account is set up vanguard just hangs when I try to refresh, instead of asking for the additional credentials.

Has anyone found a way to view their Emigrant Direct balances from within vanguard? I wouldn't mind having to manually enter my Emigrant credentials each time, but even if I set the account to manual refresh, vanguard doesn't ask me.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now View Post
.... so that I can see my complete net worth on one page. ..
:confused:
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:53 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Uh, why do you even have an account at Emigrant? You should be using the Vanguard MM fund which has always had a higher interest rate than ED. In other words, this tiny bit of aggravation is costing you money. Switch now to make more money and get rid of this aggravation.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:10 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Uh, why do you even have an account at Emigrant? You should be using the Vanguard MM fund which has always had a higher interest rate than ED. In other words, this tiny bit of aggravation is costing you money. Switch now to make more money and get rid of this aggravation.
Just one small difference. Vanguard's MMs aren't 100% insured and currently the Prime MM is only 23 basis points higher.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:23 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Stupid question perhaps, but how do I start the MM account? Don't you usually get checks with a MM account? And do they still require a minimum amount in there like they do with mutual funds?
NinjaPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:07 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPigeon View Post
Stupid question perhaps, but how do I start the MM account? Don't you usually get checks with a MM account? And do they still require a minimum amount in there like they do with mutual funds?
I just put by money in the Vanguard Prime MM. I didn't receive checks (and don't really want them). They do require a minimum of 3k.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:13 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Don't you usually get checks with a MM account?
The check writing is usually an option with all MMF including all of VG's. No extra cost, but usually has a minimum. I believe that PMMF has a $250 minimum.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:16 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPigeon View Post
Go to your Vanguard online account and click on "Buy". You can then follow the instructions. If you have questions, call their 800 number. Yes, they do require a minimum to open: $3000.

I usually purchase like ACH transfer just like one would do with EmigrantDirect, but you can also mail in a check or do a wire transfer.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vanguard