Join Early Retirement Today

Can you get a mortgage loan when retired?
Old 07-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Can you get a mortgage loan when retired?

Has anyone got a mortgage loan to purchase a home after retirement (while unemployed)?

Is it possible to do this?

I don't want to buy a house now, but I want to when I retire. I still don't know where I want to end up yet. I am thinking of living in a few areas (probably months at a time) and decide a place and then buy, but I don't want to pay in full.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

tmm
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

If you have a guaranteed pension and Social Security, you probably can. If you can show the lenders brokerage statements that reflect a balance well into the six figures or higher to show you have a reliable income stream for decades, you probably can.

Failing that, it might be tough, at least in the new lending environment. You may have to find a mortgage lender/broker who will do some good old-fashioned underwriting, though.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

There are also what are called "pledged asset mortgages" where you use your brokeragge account assets as the collateral and the lender looks the other way on a bunch of other things. But I suspect these are expensive and complicated.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I mentioned in another thread. I have been having difficulty getting a 25K mortgage on a 200K piece of property. I have 175K down and while my brokerage account statements show me to be well into the 6 figure range, nobody even wants to look at them. The only interest they show is in the amount of fixed income I have, and I have no fixed income. 3 out of 4 lenders said no, and the 4th wanted $100 to give me an answer. My credit score is quite high, but that did not matter either.

Now when my daughter and I were looking at dividing a piece of property a month or so ago, they were practically begging to give me 305K with no down. She has income and I have assets.
limpid lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpid lizard View Post
I mentioned in another thread. I have been having difficulty getting a 25K mortgage on a 200K piece of property. I have 175K down and while my brokerage account statements show me to be well into the 6 figure range, nobody even wants to look at them. The only interest they show is in the amount of fixed income I have, and I have no fixed income. 3 out of 4 lenders said no, and the 4th wanted $100 to give me an answer. My credit score is quite high, but that did not matter either.

Now when my daughter and I were looking at dividing a piece of property a month or so ago, they were practically begging to give me 305K with no down. She has income and I have assets.
You need a different lender, one with a brain. A $25K mortgage on a $200K property? That's a no-brainer, the bank is being idiots........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:59 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have never found it hard to get a mortgage (set one up last year) or a car loan but we do have Army Retired Pay and DW SS coming in. I guess they figure those things will ensure we can and will repay (even tho I do not think they could go after SS or Retired Pay; but I do pay my bills, usually early too).

The HELOC we set up is a dormant "emergency" fund - which costs nothing to set up or service so it seemed like a prudent thing to do. It took about 10 days to establish from start to finish and we did it remotely from the lender and never even spoke to a person.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
The HELOC we set up is a dormant "emergency" fund - which costs nothing to set up or service so it seemed like a prudent thing to do. It took about 10 days to establish from start to finish and we did it remotely from the lender and never even spoke to a person.
Very smart, I think it is a financial must to do before one retires,

Old 07-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #8

In my experience, banks set lending rules and have people mindlessly follow them. They don't do much thinking, so anything out of the ordinary (like someone without a 9-5 job) throws them for a loop.

When I was getting my mortgage, the bank took issue with 5k that my mother had given me from my grandfather's estate. They wanted something saying it was a gift and not a loan. When I asked them why it mattered, since I had a couple hundred thousand in assets, they seemed confused.

"Imagine that the 5k wasn't there at all. Would I still qualify for the loan? Ok, then. Why are we still talking about this?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
You need a different lender, one with a brain. A $25K mortgage on a $200K property? That's a no-brainer, the bank is being idiots........
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:36 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
In my experience, banks set lending rules and have people mindlessly follow them. They don't do much thinking, so anything out of the ordinary (like someone without a 9-5 job) throws them for a loop.

When I was getting my mortgage, the bank took issue with 5k that my mother had given me from my grandfather's estate. They wanted something saying it was a gift and not a loan. When I asked them why it mattered, since I had a couple hundred thousand in assets, they seemed confused.

"Imagine that the 5k wasn't there at all. Would I still qualify for the loan? Ok, then. Why are we still talking about this?"
Banks have no sense of humor. However, back in the day GMAC was easy to manipulate........

Old 07-22-2008, 02:08 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

If I really cared, I would probably put more effort into finding a lender. It almost makes more sense to just take the money from investments and not have to pay the fees the loan would cost.

I have a signature line of credit tied to my checking account with the bank that wanted the $100 before they would give me an answer. When they asked for the 100, I asked what the odds were of getting the loan. I was told, "Not good." I asked if that was so, why should I give them money for the answer in writing.

Yet they will loan me money on a signature. They must be running scared of mortgage regulation.
limpid lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

No problems whatsoever, although all I've gotten is credit cards and HELOC's, so far I havent tried a primary mortgage. Twice i've gotten helocs for six figure amounts and half the property value with nary a glitch and penfed just gave me a balance increase to 40,000 on my penfed visa over the phone, no paperwork.

I would think that having shown considerable assets and your last 5 years worth of 1040s showing a reasonable, persistent and present income stream you might be okay. Might be tough over the next 12-18 months because of the current situation.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:20 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Very smart, I think it is a financial must to do before one retires,
WARNING! Learn from my folly! My HELOC was recently frozen "due to our poor lending practices ERRR due to the mortgage crisis and housing downturn". So banks are happy to let you use that HELOC unless times are tough, then they may just screw you. After reading the fine print, it seems they can freeze it at any time, including if they find out you lost your job, missed a payment on something else, etc. So a HELOC may serve as a line for emergency cash, it may not be available just when you need it. Better to just have some more cash in your money market.

(FYI - credit over 800, good income etc., they still froze it)
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:55 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Well, thanks everyone for the posts.
I am still a bit confused though...

So, nobody posted so far has gotten a mortgage loan (not HELOC) after retirement (with no job)... One person said he has had a hard time getting one. Others said it was probably possible to get one if you have a big asset... Hmm....

In a way, I won't be needing this information for another 10 years or longer, but I was really really curious about this (I still am) - if anybody has gotten a mortgage loan with no job and how difficult it was. It sounds difficult from what limpid said...

tmm
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
WARNING! Learn from my folly! My HELOC was recently frozen "due to our poor lending practices ERRR due to the mortgage crisis and housing downturn". So banks are happy to let you use that HELOC unless times are tough, then they may just screw you. After reading the fine print, it seems they can freeze it at any time, including if they find out you lost your job, missed a payment on something else, etc. So a HELOC may serve as a line for emergency cash, it may not be available just when you need it. Better to just have some more cash in your money market.

That is why I use Credit Unions (much more conservative lending policies; due to who owns the CU - Members). My particular CU of choice is the 3d largest in USA (PFCU). Asked the question the other day (since I may be writing a high 5 figure check in the near future) and the response was "fine, do you think you will need to raise the loan amount?". BTW I do not have a job (retired) and I DO NOT miss payments on my obligations.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
No problems whatsoever, although all I've gotten is credit cards and HELOC's, so far I havent tried a primary mortgage. Twice i've gotten helocs for six figure amounts and half the property value with nary a glitch and penfed just gave me a balance increase to 40,000 on my penfed visa over the phone, no paperwork.
be tough over the next 12-18 months because of the current situation.
Nope, no problems.

We've helped tons of retired folks get mortgages recently with no problem. As you would expect there is more underwriting now than in the past.

It's also interesting (shocking I know) that the loan officers actually want to see the client's entire brokerage statement instead of just the first page like they used to. Still have not had to pledge assets for anybody on a first mortgage.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:39 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post

That happened to my neighbor when he wrote me a $2k check for his half of the fence work.

I'd think if you had a $100-200k heloc on a paid off house worth 450-550+ you'd probably have less of a problem.

Maybe another good reason to pay off the mortgage?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:45 AM   #17

You can use your investment assets to borrow from, and depending on the size of the account, the rate can be well below prime. There are some stipulations to be aware of though, such as it's a short term loan that would have to be reviewed after a few years, but it's definitely available.
I can set up a loan to be either vs. the prime rate or LIBOR.
Art G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
That is why I use Credit Unions (much more conservative lending policies; due to who owns the CU - Members). My particular CU of choice is the 3d largest in USA (PFCU). Asked the question the other day (since I may be writing a high 5 figure check in the near future) and the response was "fine, do you think you will need to raise the loan amount?". BTW I do not have a job (retired) and I DO NOT miss payments on my obligations.
Just a thought, but I'm thinking, in a time of panic, a credit union would be more likely to have a "run on the bank" then a bank themselves. More regulations in place. JMO.
Art G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art G View Post
Just a thought, but I'm thinking, in a time of panic, a credit union would be more likely to have a "run on the bank" then a bank themselves. More regulations in place. JMO.
Has not happened in the past 30 years, to my knowledge. But if it did, the accounts are insured just like FDIC by the NCUA. Of course "time of panic" could mean a lot of things and anything is possible.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:40 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I got a large mortgage last year. We don't have an income, but we've got plenty of assets. But what I think got us the loan was a large AGI on our 2006 taxes. We were dealing with an inheritance which required some assets being liquidated, so there was a large AGI and a large tax hit.

This year we will have a very low AGI, especially after the mortgage deduction. I suspect if we applied for the same loan next year we'd have a harder time getting it. But we have excellent credit and could probably do it, after jumping through a few more hoops.

Harley