Join Early Retirement Today
Can you NOT take deductions on your tax return?
Old 10-19-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Can you NOT take deductions on your tax return?

I have a small business that I would like to contribute more to a roth 401k with. But I have a lot of equipment being depreciated that makes my actual taxable income small.

I was wondering if you can just not take deductions like depreciation and mileage and some things like that to raise the amount of taxable income to be able to contribute more to a roth 401k plan, and if this would cause problems in the future if you did take these deductions?

summer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2007, 10:18 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.
If you don't take depreciation you will still have to add the depreciation to your basis. Mileage they don't have any way to know if you don't tell them. You could claim more income they wouldn't suspect you didn't have the income.
Try to move some income to the year you want it in. If you are cash basis and want income for 2007 send you invoices early offering a small discount to have them pay early. To get money in a later year save any checks from the end of december until jan. Also decide which year to pay bills don't pay your december bill until Jan 08.
If you are accrued basis adjust inventory or bad debts.

old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:50 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
There is no REQUIREMENT to take a deduction... it is your choice to take it..

But as old woman pointed out, when you sell an asset that you can depreciate your basis is the cost minus depreciation allowed or allowable... so you don't get to take it in another year...

Are you that low? BTW, you will still owe SS tax on your new found income...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote