Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-30-2011, 08:11 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I used to work in a VW dealership, and those cars were disasters, more electrical problems than you could shake a stick at. I know some who swear by them, but the high maintenance isn't worth it. Audis are even worse. Things have gotten somewhat better but VWs still get low marks for cost of ownerships If you want boring and reliable, I would go with Hyundai, Nissan, Toyota, or Honda.
How log ago was that?

I have had a few (Audi's also) and they have been great cars! The new GTI and the TDIs are very good!. Much more substance in the Germans vs. the Japs in general. Granted the Audi A4 T1.8 we had was a "complicated" car with the quattro, turbo, etc, so I didn't want to own it much past the warranty, but the people who purchased mine still drive with without issue.

I have also had the range of Japs and prefer the Hondas by far. Not big at all on any of the Nissans and the Toyotas are generally fine, but not what they use to be.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2011, 08:53 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
Good point. Parts I would have thought could be a concern. But Toyota has been very good in keeping parts available (at the distribution center but not in stock) for this 21 year old car. The only special order annoyance for an everyday part is the air filter, but the independent auto shops in the strip malls around here always carry a version of it.
I drove a Toyota Celica for 19 years. I would have kept it longer, but there were a couple of problems. One is that is was getting harder (and taking longer) to obtain parts. The dealer's service rep told me that their parts books go back 20 years, and beyond that it starts getting more difficult.

The car also started having more major and expensive repairs, and I didn't feel it was as reliable as it had been, so I reluctantly bought a new car.

But the Toyota was a reliable, low-maintenance car right up to the 19th year and I felt I got more than my money's worth out of it!

Old 03-30-2011, 09:13 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We just sold our 1984 Toyota Celica and is was still running great. It used to be my daughter's car in high school and college. My husband loved driving it, but we just don't need 5 cars anymore. We also sold our 1995 Camry last weekend for the same amount we paid for it 8 years ago. 
Old 03-30-2011, 09:15 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by e86s54 View Post
How log ago was that?
Long ago, but if you look at reliability studies they are still much lower than the Jap cars. My sister owned two Audis and loved them, but admitted they needed a lot of "love" I would say Audi is about like Mercedes and BMW, those cars are expensive to maintain.........

Quote:
I have had a few (Audi's also) and they have been great cars! The new GTI and the TDIs are very good!. Much more substance in the Germans vs. the Japs in general. Granted the Audi A4 T1.8 we had was a "complicated" car with the quattro, turbo, etc, so I didn't want to own it much past the warranty, but the people who purchased mine still drive with without issue.
Seems that's the rub, as long as those cars are "under warranty", everyone is happy. German cars are drivers cars, better handling in many ways and contented with more stuff. I doubt anyone will say an Audi has more stuff than a Lexus, though. And if you had to buy a car like that OUT of warranty, there would be more buyers of the Lexus..........YMMV......

I think Acura is the most underrated carline out there, and the Hyundai has improved the most in the last 5 years. My next car will probably be the Acura TSX wagon in a few years..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:33 PM   #45
Confused about dryer sheets

Just bought a VW Golf TDI (6 speed manual). Love it! Fun to drive, enough power, very solid feel. Over 70 miles today I averaged 46mph (about half highway miles). Consumer Reports likes it too; I hope FinanceDude's experience of disaster doesn't prove true!
Old 03-30-2011, 08:25 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My next car will probably be the Acura TSX wagon in a few years..........
I looked at one at the recent Dayton Auto Show. It's a very nice car and I'm sure it would be very reliable, but $32K is more than we want to spend. I wish Honda would badge the car as their own Accord wagon 5 door, knock $7K off the price, and get rid of that Crosstour thing they are selling now.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Honda

We have four Hondas....Pilot, Accord, and two CRV's. They all run great.
All but the Pilot has excellent gas mileage. I would recommend the Accord or CRV.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:08 AM   #48

Quote:
I think Acura is the most underrated carline out there, and the Hyundai has improved the most in the last 5 years. My next car will probably be the Acura TSX wagon in a few years..........
+1 on Acura. DW has a 2001 Acura (3.2 CL-S) with about 130k miles. Runs like brand new. I'm looking to replace it in a few years. Looking hard at a TSX, but don't want to spend the extra money. But since we'll keep the next car 10-15 years, maybe the extra expense will be worth it.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:38 AM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just leased a 2011 Honda CRV. Chose that one because Consumers Report rated it so high and it fit our needs and price range. Consumers Report (April 2011 edition) "who makes the best cars" says in this order: Honda, Sabaru, Toyota, Volvo, Ford, Hyundai, Mazda, Nissan, VW, Mercedes, BMW, GM, Chrysler. First "foreign" car I've ever had and love it so far. Had a 2008 Saturn Vue that we liked also. Leased that one as well and it was about $5000 less expensive on the sticker than the Honda. We leased the Honda for the same length of time as the Saturn for the same monthly payment. Thought we got a really good deal. Figured out why recently. The Honda has a much higher residual value than the Saturn which calculates into a lower lease amount.
Both Honda and Saturn were "no money out of pocket".

My logic on leasing: I'll never drive a vehicle out of warranty, I don't relish spending money on repairs, I always want DW driving a reliable car, we never drove any car longer than three years, on a lease you only pay taxes on the lease term. My only other consideration would be to buy a three year old car at a great price and buy an extended warranty. Maybe next time.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:16 PM   #50
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Just leased a 2011 Honda CRV. Chose that one because Consumers Report rated it so high and it fit our needs and price range. Consumers Report (April 2011 edition) "who makes the best cars" says in this order: Honda, Sabaru, Toyota, Volvo, Ford, Hyundai, Mazda, Nissan, VW, Mercedes, BMW, GM, Chrysler. First "foreign" car I've ever had and love it so far. Had a 2008 Saturn Vue that we liked also. Leased that one as well and it was about $5000 less expensive on the sticker than the Honda. We leased the Honda for the same length of time as the Saturn for the same monthly payment. Thought we got a really good deal. Figured out why recently. The Honda has a much higher residual value than the Saturn which calculates into a lower lease amount.
Both Honda and Saturn were "no money out of pocket".

My logic on leasing: I'll never drive a vehicle out of warranty, I don't relish spending money on repairs, I always want DW driving a reliable car, we never drove any car longer than three years, on a lease you only pay taxes on the lease term. My only other consideration would be to buy a three year old car at a great price and buy an extended warranty. Maybe next time.
Don't forget Scion. That Toyota-owned brand is actually No. 1 in predicted reliability. If you can accept their funky styling, their no-haggle pricing, dependability, and $$ value make them quite attractive.