Can You Recommend an Economical New Car Make/Model?

Here's my thoughts, based on folks I know who own them and their experiences:

1)Honda Fit
2)Honda Civic
3)Toyota Corolla
4)Nissan Sentra
5)Hyundai Elantra

You can get a honda CRV for the low $20,000 range . They get great mileage and are very roomy .

Buying a new car every few years is one of the worst threats to keeping a retirement portfolio intact. It's an expense you want under control and predictable.

Personally, I wouldn't consider anything but a Japanese car for reliability, durability, and longevity. Ford may have had some recent success with short-term reliability, but that company in the past has never been known for making long lasting cars. Just look at Consumer Reports over the years. (I really don't want to make Ford owners mad, but this is my opinion based on the facts.)

In my case as I'm about to retire early (59), I want a car that lasts a long time and requires little maintenance and few (if any) repairs. I have a 1990 Camry that fits this need, and it's still going strong after 21 years. It's rusting a bit, but for a 20k hit to the portfolio, I can't justify getting rid of a perfectly running car just for shiney new looks.

For me and everything I've read, Toyota's will last forever without major repair, and have always been extremely reliable. American car companies are still not up to par, and German cars are pretty awful in their reliability (Consumer Reports again).

<< Looking at Edmunds True Cost to Own, the following makes/models seem to be suggested: Ford Fiesta; Nissan Versa; Toyota Yaris; Honda Civic; Smart Car; Nissan Sentra. Anyone have experience with these vehicles? >>

I bought a 2009 Nissan Versa. I get 30 mpg on my work commute, which is 80 percent hiway. Has a hatchback, good for transporting fairly large items. No problems yet, after 32,000 miles. Knock on wood. Acceleration is pretty good, if you floor it. Looks cute, IMO.

Test drove a 2009 Honda Civic. Loved it, except for its low profile. Didn't want to bottom out on snowdrifts.

Test drove a 2009 Toyota Yaris. Liked it enough to go in to the dealer expecting to buy it, but the dealer did a "bait and switch" at the last minute so that ruined my thing with Yaris.

Test drove a 2009 Nissan Sentra. OK, but the handling was too heavy, wobbly, and leany.

Try a Hyundai Elantra. Cheap price and 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty. Great handling. I almost bought one, but it didn't come in a hatchback. My gf bought a Hyundai Elantra. It's a good sturdy car. She does not track her mpg, so can't help you there.

Good luck.

They do have a Elantra hatchback... Elantra Touring... they are really two different cars with the same name....

We own an Elantra and I think the newer one is much better than ours... we have a 4 speed and get about 26 to 27 MPGs... the new one has a 6 speed...

My wife loves the car and drives a lot... for the price etc. etc.... I would buy another Hyundai before I went with Toyota or Honda...

Now, ask me in 5 to 10 years and my story might change... but so far, we have 18K miles and have not paid anything for service... (the dealership gave us two free oil changes and when I had the third one done they just gave me the keys and said thanks for coming by)... We did have one problem where my son kicked his soccer ball into the side mirror and it would not work... we told them when we took it in, but it was covered under warrenty...

In my case as I'm about to retire early (59), I want a car that lasts a long time and requires little maintenance and few (if any) repairs. I have a 1990 Camry that fits this need, and it's still going strong after 21 years. It's rusting a bit, but for a 20k hit to the portfolio, I can't justify getting rid of a perfectly running car just for shiney new looks.

For me and everything I've read, Toyota's will last forever without major repair, and have always been extremely reliable. American car companies are still not up to par, and German cars are pretty awful in their reliability (Consumer Reports again).

I presume that at some point you may be hard-pressed to find parts, no?

I presume that at some point you may be hard-pressed to find parts, no?

Good point. Parts I would have thought could be a concern. But Toyota has been very good in keeping parts available (at the distribution center but not in stock) for this 21 year old car. The only special order annoyance for an everyday part is the air filter, but the independent auto shops in the strip malls around here always carry a version of it.

my significant other has a Hyundai Sonata (09), my daughter a Hyndai Elantra (10), and i a Hyndai Elantra Touring (11) ... we have previously owned Toyotas, Hondas, Subarus. AND there are deals to be had (suggest using Truecar.com) ... each of the Hyundais were purchased at less than dealer invoice. Hyundai gives a great value, imho.

Personally, I wouldn't consider anything but a Japanese car for reliability, durability, and longevity. Ford may have had some recent success with short-term reliability, but that company in the past has never been known for making long lasting cars. Just look at Consumer Reports over the years. (I really don't want to make Ford owners mad, but this is my opinion based on the facts.)

That's funny, I've been getting Consumer Reports since the late '70's, and I don't remember them having articles about how long a particular make or model "lasts".

I'm guessing that's because Consumer Reports is aware a car will last as long as you repair it when (not if) it breaks.

Until it rusts, anyway.

I saw the first signs of rust on my 03 subie this weekend. It will take a few years to get serious enough for me to consider letting go, but that marks the beginning of the end.

Until it rusts, anyway.

I saw the first signs of rust on my 03 subie this weekend. It will take a few years to get serious enough for me to consider letting go, but that marks the beginning of the end.
If you live below the snow belt, rust isn't on the list of 'car killers'. Just ask the folks down in Cuba. :)

A few points.

1-Surprised nobody mentioned the VWs. Fit and finish is higher IMHO. Golf TDI, is a better option than a Prius. In Europe, the new diesels outsell the hybrids by a huge margin.

2-Yaris is dated and getting poor reviews overall.

3-Elantra is getting excellent reviews

4-New Ford Focus is not american, but from Europe.

5-Decent horsepower and good fuel economy is a contradiction. Horsepower is directly related to fuel consumption. For example I had a very small sports car that could generate 330hps. It was harder on gas than my V8 truck if I drove it fast. But I understand what the OP was asking...good fuel consumption and not a complete dog.

A few points.

1-Surprised nobody mentioned the VWs. Fit and finish is higher IMHO. Golf TDI, is a better option than a Prius.

I used to work in a VW dealership, and those cars were disasters, more electrical problems than you could shake a stick at. I know some who swear by them, but the high maintenance isn't worth it. Audis are even worse. Things have gotten somewhat better but VWs still get low marks for cost of ownerships If you want boring and reliable, I would go with Hyundai, Nissan, Toyota, or Honda.

That's funny, I've been getting Consumer Reports since the late '70's, and I don't remember them having articles about how long a particular make or model "lasts".

I've been reading CR also for that long, and they always had reliability ratings for prior year models. Each model is summarized under "predicted reliability" for the most recent 10 years, I believe. "Lasts" and "reliability" equate to the same concept. You can use common sense to make the connection.

used Hondas

Have bought 5 used Hondas in the past 5 years. 2007 Honda CRV for around 16k, 2009 Honda CRV for around 18k, 2008 Honda Pilot for around 22k. We also had bought 2004 Honda Accord a few years ago for around 16k. All were Honda certified used vehicles. All had low to medium mileage and all run great. No problems at all. I found all of them on autotrader.com.

I used to work in a VW dealership, and those cars were disasters, more electrical problems than you could shake a stick at. I know some who swear by them, but the high maintenance isn't worth it. Audis are even worse. Things have gotten somewhat better but VWs still get low marks for cost of ownerships If you want boring and reliable, I would go with Hyundai, Nissan, Toyota, or Honda.

How log ago was that?

I have had a few (Audi's also) and they have been great cars! The new GTI and the TDIs are very good!. Much more substance in the Germans vs. the Japs in general. Granted the Audi A4 T1.8 we had was a "complicated" car with the quattro, turbo, etc, so I didn't want to own it much past the warranty, but the people who purchased mine still drive with without issue.

I have also had the range of Japs and prefer the Hondas by far. Not big at all on any of the Nissans and the Toyotas are generally fine, but not what they use to be.

Good point. Parts I would have thought could be a concern. But Toyota has been very good in keeping parts available (at the distribution center but not in stock) for this 21 year old car. The only special order annoyance for an everyday part is the air filter, but the independent auto shops in the strip malls around here always carry a version of it.

I drove a Toyota Celica for 19 years. I would have kept it longer, but there were a couple of problems. One is that is was getting harder (and taking longer) to obtain parts. The dealer's service rep told me that their parts books go back 20 years, and beyond that it starts getting more difficult.

The car also started having more major and expensive repairs, and I didn't feel it was as reliable as it had been, so I reluctantly bought a new car.

But the Toyota was a reliable, low-maintenance car right up to the 19th year and I felt I got more than my money's worth out of it!

We just sold our 1984 Toyota Celica and is was still running great. It used to be my daughter's car in high school and college. My husband loved driving it, but we just don't need 5 cars anymore. We also sold our 1995 Camry last weekend for the same amount we paid for it 8 years ago. 

How log ago was that?

Long ago, but if you look at reliability studies they are still much lower than the Jap cars. My sister owned two Audis and loved them, but admitted they needed a lot of "love" I would say Audi is about like Mercedes and BMW, those cars are expensive to maintain.........

I have had a few (Audi's also) and they have been great cars! The new GTI and the TDIs are very good!. Much more substance in the Germans vs. the Japs in general. Granted the Audi A4 T1.8 we had was a "complicated" car with the quattro, turbo, etc, so I didn't want to own it much past the warranty, but the people who purchased mine still drive with without issue.

Seems that's the rub, as long as those cars are "under warranty", everyone is happy. German cars are drivers cars, better handling in many ways and contented with more stuff. I doubt anyone will say an Audi has more stuff than a Lexus, though. And if you had to buy a car like that OUT of warranty, there would be more buyers of the Lexus..........YMMV......

I think Acura is the most underrated carline out there, and the Hyundai has improved the most in the last 5 years. My next car will probably be the Acura TSX wagon in a few years..........:)

Just bought a VW Golf TDI (6 speed manual). Love it! Fun to drive, enough power, very solid feel. Over 70 miles today I averaged 46mph (about half highway miles). Consumer Reports likes it too; I hope FinanceDude's experience of disaster doesn't prove true!

My next car will probably be the Acura TSX wagon in a few years..........:)
I looked at one at the recent Dayton Auto Show. It's a very nice car and I'm sure it would be very reliable, but $32K is more than we want to spend. I wish Honda would badge the car as their own Accord [-]wagon[/-] 5 door, knock $7K off the price, and get rid of that Crosstour thing they are selling now.

Honda

We have four Hondas....Pilot, Accord, and two CRV's. They all run great.
All but the Pilot has excellent gas mileage. I would recommend the Accord or CRV.

I think Acura is the most underrated carline out there, and the Hyundai has improved the most in the last 5 years. My next car will probably be the Acura TSX wagon in a few years..........:)

+1 on Acura. DW has a 2001 Acura (3.2 CL-S) with about 130k miles. Runs like brand new. I'm looking to replace it in a few years. Looking hard at a TSX, but don't want to spend the extra money. But since we'll keep the next car 10-15 years, maybe the extra expense will be worth it.

Just leased a 2011 Honda CRV. Chose that one because Consumers Report rated it so high and it fit our needs and price range. Consumers Report (April 2011 edition) "who makes the best cars" says in this order: Honda, Sabaru, Toyota, Volvo, Ford, Hyundai, Mazda, Nissan, VW, Mercedes, BMW, GM, Chrysler. First "foreign" car I've ever had and love it so far. Had a 2008 Saturn Vue that we liked also. Leased that one as well and it was about $5000 less expensive on the sticker than the Honda. We leased the Honda for the same length of time as the Saturn for the same monthly payment. Thought we got a really good deal. Figured out why recently. The Honda has a much higher residual value than the Saturn which calculates into a lower lease amount.
Both Honda and Saturn were "no money out of pocket".

My logic on leasing: I'll never drive a vehicle out of warranty, I don't relish spending money on repairs, I always want DW driving a reliable car, we never drove any car longer than three years, on a lease you only pay taxes on the lease term. My only other consideration would be to buy a three year old car at a great price and buy an extended warranty. Maybe next time.

Just leased a 2011 Honda CRV. Chose that one because Consumers Report rated it so high and it fit our needs and price range. Consumers Report (April 2011 edition) "who makes the best cars" says in this order: Honda, Sabaru, Toyota, Volvo, Ford, Hyundai, Mazda, Nissan, VW, Mercedes, BMW, GM, Chrysler. First "foreign" car I've ever had and love it so far. Had a 2008 Saturn Vue that we liked also. Leased that one as well and it was about $5000 less expensive on the sticker than the Honda. We leased the Honda for the same length of time as the Saturn for the same monthly payment. Thought we got a really good deal. Figured out why recently. The Honda has a much higher residual value than the Saturn which calculates into a lower lease amount.
Both Honda and Saturn were "no money out of pocket".

My logic on leasing: I'll never drive a vehicle out of warranty, I don't relish spending money on repairs, I always want DW driving a reliable car, we never drove any car longer than three years, on a lease you only pay taxes on the lease term. My only other consideration would be to buy a three year old car at a great price and buy an extended warranty. Maybe next time.

Don't forget Scion. That Toyota-owned brand is actually No. 1 in predicted reliability. If you can accept their funky styling, their no-haggle pricing, dependability, and $$ value make them quite attractive.

Back
Top Bottom