Join Early Retirement Today

Canadian Royalty Trusts
Old 08-16-2005, 09:36 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Canadian Royalty Trusts

Does anyone have any information or experience with purchasing Canadian Royalty Trusts. They are taxed at the 15% level. Any knowlege on them as investments?
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Canadian Royalty Trusts
Old 08-16-2005, 10:06 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

If you can sift information from noise, the most active discussion forum re these puppies is at Stockhouse. You might also want to read some skeptical views here.

A bunch of the trusts, particularly the royalty trusts, are outright bets on the price of petroleum. That has been spectacularly successful the last couple of years and, if that's the sort of bet you want to make, then this is a way of doing it. As always, past performance is no guarantee of future results.

I'm a skeptic but not because I have any view about oil and gas prices next year or the year thereafter. It's because of the way these trusts are organized. They IPO or do a secondary, get money from investors, buy producing property, pump the wells, sell the product, and give the investors the money generated from those sales. When the reservoirs are depleted, they go back to the investors, do a secondary, ....

That's not a business in the usual sense. It is a relatively short term annuity backed up by the price of petroleum. Much of what you get back as "yield" is in fact your own principal.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:18 AM   #3

Calgary Girl invests in these, you could PM her or look up some of her old posts.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:53 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

http://www.dripinvesting.org/Boards/BoardMsgs.asp?BID=5

has a lot of canadian investors.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:30 PM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets

The following Yahoo Group may be of interest to you...

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/CanRoys/

Here are the stated objectives of the group...

This group is designed for several purposes:

(1) Its PRIMARY focus is to provide a forum for the DUE DILIGENCE type of discussions of the Canadian Oil & Gas Royalty Trusts, aka, “CanRoys“,

(2) Its SECONDARY focus is to provide a forum to help members learn about the operations and analysis of these foreign CanRoy securities in order to be able to make their own investment choices,

(3) This forum will examine BOTH the PROS & CONS of owning these TSX traded Canadian securities in a rational, intellectual, mature and unemotional manner. Investing is business! The companies in which you invest your money are NOT like your favorite sports TEAMS for which you root and cheer whether they are winning or losing!

(4) The providing of personal stock picks or pumping ones holdings is not permitted here. Yahoo has many message boards if you seek that.

(5) This Group is designed to have a discussion forum FREE of those annoyances from immature posters who have demonstrated to me that they do not wish to increase their knowledge on these matters and are emotionally attached to their holdings and thus incapable of having a MATURE and OBJECTIVE discourse on both the pros and cons of these securities.

Finally, those investors who insist on seeing posts with only the PROS of their holdings will not be happy here. If it were not for the positives, we would not own them! So it is knowing and understanding the CONS, especially those negatives we might have missed in our due diligence, that really are the most valuable to the owners of a security.

Hope this helps!

Searcher7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 03:16 PM   #6
Confused about dryer sheets

15% tax on royalty investments... that seems a lot
guitarplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 10:40 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

It's all the trend in Canada right now. And unless I'm misunderstanding the question, they aren't neccesarily tied to the petroleum sector. They started indeed in real estate and then branched out from there. The idea being that any business which generates cash should pay it out as regular dividends to its stockholders rather than holding on to it and doing who knows what with it (buying more companies to inflate the CEOs ego perhaps). So there are trusts in a number of different sectors, real estate and oil and gas being the most popular. Many pay returns in the 10-15% range.

I believe the 15% referred to was referring to the fact that for US investors, the income would be taxed as a dividend and so be subject to the tax breaks recently introduced in the US for dividends.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:32 PM   #8

I cannot speak to how Canadian royalty trusts (and income trusts) are taxed to US residents (i.e. whether they qualify for dividend treatment) but with the US/Canada tax treaty, there may be 15% withholding tax applied in Canada first. Which should not be a big deal since a US resident can use that as a foreign tax credit.

Canadian Royalty Trusts generally appy to the petroleum sector, but the broader category of Candian Income Trusts applies across the business spectrum. But be careful of quality. Trusts have become all the rage due to their payout rates, but not all businesses are suited to income trusts and some even pay out more than 100% of their cash flow (which is a death spiral taken over a long period of time). Buyer beware.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:38 AM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter
Does anyone have any information or experience with purchasing Canadian Royalty Trusts. They are taxed at the 15% level. Any knowlege on them as investments?
I put 10k or so in these a year or two ago, and have been happy with my returns. I wasn't necessarily betting on the price of oil (although that has been a nice upside), but rather interested in the cash returns.
The taxes on these are hard to figure. You will have 15% dividend tax, but you will also have a certain percentage of your return taxed as "return of capital," which basically means they are paying out part of the company to you since the oil is being depleted.
dandan14 is offline   Reply With Quote