Cancer and ER

firewhen

Recycles dryer sheets
It is about 2 months since I was last on this site. In that time I have been diagnosed and began treatment for cancer. Outlook is very bright and this should be no more than a bump in the road. That said:

1) Money, thankfully, is not something we need be concerned about. Even though not yet ER, the FI part certainly is one major thing not to worry about.

2) Since I am not yet ER, I still have the company health insurance and it is a blessing. Access to any doctors/hospitals, minimal out of pocket, minimal copays on meds. This is coverage that in today's world I could not buy at any price.

3) Work has been a source of emotional support, with genuine concern from many quarters.

What will this mean for the future ER wise, who knows? Will I value life more, and look for other outlets? Or once I am back to work, will I value it, its security, health insurance, routines and colleagues more?

I did know before, and certainly do now, that life has many surprises. Those who work a "few" extra years to save a few extra dollars many not have as many years as planned on the back end. But even the best savings plans may meet unexpected hurdles.

For me, no rash decisions, and I will likely stay on the same timeline from before all this happened. But I will say this, it is nice, in the midst of all this, to not have financial pressures and be able to make decisions leaving that out of the equation. (Hopefully I will soon start spending more time here and less on all the health/cancer sites I recently discovered!)

Good luck to you Firewhen. I am very happy that you have a good prognosis.

Ha

Firewhen,
Very sorry to hear about the diagnosis, but glad that the prognosis is bright. Please keep us informed--and don't be a stranger!

Firewhen, Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts - very insightful.
I wish you a full recovery.

Firewhen - good luck with your treatments. Your comments underscore the importance of good planning - for the expected as well as the unexpected. Hope you are keep following your plan.

Firewhen, Best of luck with this "bump in the road". You provide us another good reason to carefully plan ahead.

Ditto the other responders! Thank you Firewhen & best wishes!

Firewhen,

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I finished my last chemo treatment in August so if I can offer any insight or support on dealing with cancer send me a PM.

2soon2tell

Back
Top Bottom