Can't stop saving

I'm thinking Chevy Impala with the 300 horsepower motor, the custom pearl paint, the leather, the moonroof, the nice tech package and I dunno, about a half dozen other options on the list.

That's what I want to do, just go down the list - :)

I know, I know, how silly. Just had to bring up the remote possibility that he might be perfectly blissful living his life as it is right now. :D
I think you may be right. I present it as an example of what life might be like in 15-20 years. Make hay while the sun shines!:dance:

There is no wifi in the facility but his other friend bought him an iPad with cellular data coverage. He still calls me to look up stuff even though I showed him how to do it himself.:mad:

The RV is just to see what it's about. Girlfriend has a place in mind where she wants us to go with the dogs.

I usually just like to go and hire a dog sitter. But she's my girlfriend...

A boat is on the list for sure. I'm gonna get me another boat and put it inna slip on the Delta. Dogs can go there too. Or not. We shall see - :)

This fits my in-laws to a "T." Late 80s, military pension (Lt. Col.) and two socials; they save every month, and don't touch the 7 figure portfolio. But, I think there were some months in their 60s/70s when they drew down! (And, the year they set up educational trust for grandkids... Thanks!)
My former neighbor (83) is in a nursing home and is not allowed beer and has no desire for females. I smuggled in some beer and he only drank half a bottle. Said don't bother anymore.
He can leave for the day but has no desire to go anywhere. So my advice is to not take any chances. Spend it as fast as you can while you enjoy it.
Yeah-- don't save travel (or sex) for old age, and spend it while you can.

We've managed to boost our travel spending, but our months away from home have gone up by a much greater factor than our spending-- slow travel during off-season is a lot cheaper than flying to a resort for a couple of weeks during peak season.

A significant amount of our spending is gifting our daughter (and her spouse) so that they can maximize their Roth TSP and Roth IRA contributions from their paychecks (and save even more on their own in taxable accounts). We tell them that we'd rather give them their inheritance now (so that they can compound it tax-free) rather than make them wait until they're in their 80s. So far they've both been appropriately frugal with their savings rates and their spending choices. Admittedly sea duty minimizes the opportunities to spend like a drunken sailor.

We did a gigantic renovation of our familyroom about five years ago, but we've had enough of living in a demolition zone. From here on out we'll maintain without improving.

Today we have "enough" material possessions, and we don't have high maintenance expenses. Yet our income still seems to be growing faster than our spending, so we'll keep refining the estate plan. It is difficult to give up the reflex frugality that got us to ER, but instead of focusing on savings we just continue to enjoy the simple frugal pleasures that we've always enjoyed.

See, you have it easy, just give the dough to the kids. I would too except I don't have any kids. Just a dog and I keep her in chews.

Imma gonna spend a grand on the next batch of caviar, three hundred bucks is not reducing the load. I'm never flying coach again as long as something else is available. I'm doing the bathroom floors in marble with heaters to keep my feet warm.

This is gonna be fun - :)

We will stop saving (however, we have reduced our income to qualify for ACA subsidies) once I reach FRA and qualify for Medicare and SS. Wifey is a lot younger so we need to have healthcare for her. Till then we stay as is.

Back
Top Bottom