Join Early Retirement Today

cap gains & losses
Old 12-16-2008, 09:42 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

cap gains & losses

We're in the 15% bracket for the 1st time this year, & won't owe cg tax on the gains we realized in January (sold C & MER- aren't we geniouses).

But we have losses on some funds, & I'm wondering about taking some of them to offset regular earned income. Question: to get the full 3000 offset allowed do we just realize 3k in losses, or 3k in addition to the amount of gain we have?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2008, 09:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBOT View Post
But we have losses on some funds, & I'm wondering about taking some of them to offset regular earned income. Question: to get the full 3000 offset allowed do we just realize 3k in losses, or 3k in addition to the amount of gain we have?
Capital losses are first used to offset capital gains, and only after capital gains are entirely offset do you offset ordinary income.

For example, if you had a $2000 gain and then a $10,000 loss, the first $2,000 would be used to offset the capital gains. Then you could offset $3,000 of ordinary income, and the remaining $5,000 would be carried forward into 2009.

If you had a $2000 gain and a $3000 loss, again the first $2000 would offset the capital gains and only $1000 would offset ordinary income.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:50 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Since you are in the 15% bracket, and your long term CG rate for 2008 is zero, trying to offset ord income is a bit futile. You must have enough CG losses to offset your existing 2008 CG before you will affect ord income. It might be better to wait till January and then you will harvest any losses directly against ord income for 2009.