Join Early Retirement Today

Capital gains and dividend distributions from taxable account
Old 12-19-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Capital gains and dividend distributions from taxable account

Is the general idea here to use these distributions from taxable accounts to fund a tax advantage account? I figure since you get taxed whether you reinvest or not, the smart thing to do would be to get these funds no matter how small into a tax advantaged vehicle...Maybe I answered me own question.
trustee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I reinvest cap gain distributions in order to preserve the account's value. A cap gains distribution is accompanied by a drop in NAV so by reinvesting them in the same fund I end up with more shares at a lower price but the same total market value.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Like scrabbler1, I re-invest the capital gains from my taxable accounts.

Since I am retired, I take money from my taxable accounts for living expenses. This withdrawal comes from the dividends because, as you pointed out, they are already taxed whether I withdraw them or not. I re-invest any excess dividends.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Doesn't matter where the money comes from, if you can put more money into a tax advantaged account it is probably a good idea. Sell some shares in the taxable account and use those funds. A Roth account would be nice.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
Doesn't matter where the money comes from, if you can put more money into a tax advantaged account it is probably a good idea. Sell some shares in the taxable account and use those funds. A Roth account would be nice.
In some cases it does matter, for example, only *earned* income can be contributed into a traditional or Roth IRA.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
In some cases it does matter, for example, only *earned* income can be contributed into a traditional or Roth IRA.
I covered that, sort of, with the "if you can" hedge. I'm mainly stumped about what a tax advantaged contribution has to do with taxable dividends in the OP. Maybe you hit on part of the confusion here? Dividends aren't a substitute for earned income.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

+1 as to being confused by the OP.

Since I'm currently living off of my taxable accounts, I take dividends and CG distributions in cash. It just reduces what I need to later sell out of my taxable accounts to fund our living expenses and it makes my taxes less complicated.

I also do Roth conversions and pay the tax from taxable account funds, but that is a separate issue from whether I take dividends and CG distributions in cash or reinvest them.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, taking dividends and capital gains in cash helps when I rebalance, too. I do that during the first week of January every year. So, when I said I reinvest capital gains, I meant that I get them in cash and then reinvest them and any excess dividends (after my withdrawal) into my portfolio as a whole.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
This is probably nitpicking but I think you probably mean that you can only contribute to TIRA/RIRA if you have *earned* income. A person could use his earned income (paycheck) to pay the rent, buy food , etc. and use the fund distributions e.g. to fund the IRA. Money is money after all and there is that awful word fungible that some like to use.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #10

A spouse's earned income qualifies too for IRA, though until the OP clarifies we're just guessing what details he meant.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote