Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Capital One POD (finally)
Old 03-16-2019, 02:48 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Capital One POD (finally)

For those interested, Capital One finally offers POD.

Your beneficiary becomes POD. If you enter multiples (by adding each one at a time), the account is split equally with the number you have. Not ideal, as it asks for the persons SS, but at least it is now available.
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2019, 03:02 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sorry, just in case someone else is as dumb as I am (or got up as early as I did on a Saturday), is POD = Pay on Death?

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:08 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Sorry, just in case someone else is as dumb as I am (or got up as early as I did on a Saturday), is POD = Pay on Death?
Yes, payable on death. That designation allows the funds to bypass probate and supersede a will or trust I believe.
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:32 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
Yes, payable on death. That designation allows the funds to bypass probate and supersede a will or trust I believe.
Thanks! Excellent info to have and to deal with before it's needed.

I can see that a provision like this would allow one to designate a "survivor" without the surviving person being able to write checks on the account. Heh, heh, I can think of folks I'd want to POD but not have check writing authority.

Thanks!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:36 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Probate processing legal fees can be 3% of assets, so important to designate POD on all bank accounts.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
For those interested, Capital One finally offers POD.
Thanks for posting. I opened one of these accounts and neglected to get the POD established...but done now!
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:20 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

POD is good but remember that POD is payable on death and not payable on disability. You need to have an incapacity plan in place and many banks do not honor general powers of attorney. That is why many people get living trusts. Conservatorships during life are more expensive than probate after death.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:33 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I’ve never quite understood difference between designating beneficiary, POD, and TOD. Its amazing how some institutions make it difficult to avoid probate. I guess they want a specific court order to protect them from liability. BofA is another one. Thanks for the info Bizlady.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:39 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I’ve never quite understood difference between designating beneficiary, POD, and TOD. Its amazing how some institutions make it difficult to avoid probate. I guess they want a specific court order to protect them from liability. BofA is another one. Thanks for the info Bizlady.
All about the money. Roughly 3% to the lawyers.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:00 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
All about the money. Roughly 3% to the lawyers.

That doesn’t help me understand the differences.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
My understanding is that the terms beneficiary, POD, TOD are a similar concept applied to different types of accounts.

Beneficiary was usually associated with life insurance policies and retirement accounts.

PODs and TODs are applied to bank accounts and brokerage accounts. Would need to verify which is which.

It is each states laws that establish these (at least for accounts that aren't governed by the Federal ERISA laws).

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:14 PM   #12

Another thing to be aware of is the phrase "per stirpes" when setting up multiple beneficiaries. What it means is the proceeds will go that that person's heirs. Without that, if one of the 2 beneficiaries dies, the other gets all of it.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:22 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for sharing. I'll update mine at capital one. How about other online banks like Ally, AmEx, Discover banks ?
retired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:08 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Ally bank has it.