Join Early Retirement Today

Capital One Savings Account (vs ING Orange)
Old 01-31-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Capital One Savings Account (vs ING Orange)

Wondering about folks' experience with Capital One Interest Plus Savings (the one that is paying 1.25% + 10% bonus) as compared with ING Orange Savings.

InterestPlus Online Savings Account Features

One good thing (perhaps) with ING is that the interest is calculated monthly rather than daily.

Currently Capital One is paying higher, but have then been consistently higher than other accounts or do they do mostly "teaser" rates to get folks to sign up?

Also curious about people's experience with online security with both of them.

Thanks!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why is it a good thing if interested in calculated monthly rather than daily?

ING actually calculates and compounds interest daily and it is paid monthly. Their online security is supposed to be the best around. It is far stronger than I have seen from other banks I do business with.

-- Rita

Old 01-31-2011, 10:54 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

i guess it's only a good thing if for some reason the rates drop significantly say the first week of the month... and at least you're locked in til the end of the month...

a bad thing if rates go up of course...so yeah i guess it's a wash..

i thought i read that ING calculates it monthly, but maybe i read it wrong
Old 01-31-2011, 10:57 AM   #4

Actually, calculating interest daily and compounding it to be paid out monthly is the best method for the saver. Generally, a bank won't calculate at the beginning of the period and pay out at the end of the period -- it's the other way around: they calculate at the end and pay shortly thereafter.

So in an environment where interest rates are fluctuating wildly, AND they change their rates several times a month, you want your interest calculated daily and compounded, so you earn on your daily earnings.

-- Rita
Old 01-31-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just signed up for the cap one account. If you are a costco member, they give you 1.30% plus the bonus plus up to $60 one-time bonus.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:58 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Actually, calculating interest daily and compounding it to be paid out monthly is the best method for the saver. Generally, a bank won't calculate at the beginning of the period and pay out at the end of the period -- it's the other way around: they calculate at the end and pay shortly thereafter.

So in an environment where interest rates are fluctuating wildly, AND they change their rates several times a month, you want your interest calculated daily and compounded, so you earn on your daily earnings.

-- Rita

Just to let everyone know.... everyplace calculates interest daily... if not, then I can just plunk my money down the day before calcualtion and remove it the day after... I get the whole month of interest....

If you say... well, they only pay interest on your average daily balance... they calculate only once a month and pay once a month... well, they you are not thinking... that means they only do the math differently... the result is the same... or, you can say they only are alllowed to change their rate when the calculate interest...

Soooo, no difference to you...

As an ING customer... I can say they do tell you how much interst you have earned this month when you log in... they just post it to your account once a month...
Old 01-31-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Cap One member via Costco since 3/31/2005. They have had consistently high money market rates since that time, easily competitive with the highest rates around and with great bank quality ratings to boot.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I just signed up for the cap one account. If you are a costco member, they give you 1.30% plus the bonus plus up to $60 one-time bonus.
Sounds great, but no COSTCO hereabouts.
Do they offer any deals for other affiliations?
Sams Club, Larry's Bait Shop? Any others?