Capitol Gains

ripper1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am in the process of selling some stock from my taxable account. As a married filing jointly this will put me about 1000 dollars over the income limit of 78750 for the 0% capitol gains rate. Is it my understanding I will only pay 15% on 1000 dollars of the sale?

Yes... But any extra income over $78950 MFJ will be in the 22% tax bracket. So in practice you will pay 15% on the capital gain PLUS 10% for the bracket rate difference.

Yes... But any extra income over $78950 MFJ will be in the 22% tax bracket. So in practice you will pay 15% on the capital gain PLUS 10% for the bracket rate difference.
No. If one had ordinary and preferenced income and was in total at the top of the 0% capital gains bracket and added $1000 of ordinary income then the marginal tax rate would be 27% on the first $200 and 37% on the remainder because the ordinary income is taxed at ordinary rates and also pushes preferenced income from 0% to 15%.

In what the OP writes, it is just adding preferenced income so it would be 15% as he writes in the OP.

Back
Top Bottom