CapOne 360 savings offer serious money

I'm already in and posted on this - bonus posts 10-15 days after account open and other language makes me think "105 days before REALLY able to close", but a good place to park ready cash. My gal and I are both going in on this - it will be our short term cash buffer. Joint accounts are ok, but only the primary can get the bonus, so we will wait a while before cross-putting each other as joint on the two accounts. As a little extra juice I used their "refer-a-friend" link for her account to get us each an extra $25. https://home.capitalone360.com/referafriend?save=d7MX7qQGuY
(use of the above link gets new users AND ME an extra $25, so be aware)

Couldn't they think of a better name? Yeah, I'll give my money to an outfit called Capone! :LOL:

Couldn't they think of a better name? Yeah, I'll give my money to an outfit called Capone! :LOL:

The name is just an extra treat for me - and you know I call them Capone. We've had a different savings account with them since 1/12/2010, back when they were paying 1.65% for $15,000 accounts - PLUS a quarterly bonus per our Quicken memo area.

I'm already in and posted on this - bonus posts 10-15 days after account open and other language makes me think "105 days before REALLY able to close", but a good place to park ready cash. My gal and I are both going in on this - it will be our short term cash buffer. Joint accounts are ok, but only the primary can get the bonus, so we will wait a while before cross-putting each other as joint on the two accounts. As a little extra juice I used their "refer-a-friend" link for her account to get us each an extra $25. https://home.capitalone360.com/referafriend?save=d7MX7qQGuY
(use of the above link gets new users AND ME an extra $25, so be aware)

Do you happen to know if Cap one has two factor authentication for login? I like that about my current AMEX savings acct.

Dang...I moved a huge chunk of cash in there a few weeks ago. What are the chances I can take it out and redeposit the money to get the bonus?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Just checked and all I needed to do was enter user name and password. So that wouldn't be two factor? They also show details of both the old account I am joint on as well as the new CapOne360 savings account in my name alone.

Dang...I moved a huge chunk of cash in there a few weeks ago. What are the chances I can take it out and redeposit the money to get the bonus?
Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Dunno what your chances are, but I'd be giving a call and the old college try for the bonus. From the CapOne360 site:

New Customers: 1-800-289-1992 (8 AM – 8 PM, 7 days a week)
Existing Customers: 1-888-464-0727 (8 AM – 8 PM, 7 days a week)

Just checked and all I needed to do was enter user name and password. So that wouldn't be two factor? They also show details of both the old account I am joint on as well as the new CapOne360 savings account in my name alone.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. With AMEX savings, you enter your user name, then they send a text to your cell phone with a code that you then enter into the field. Then you enter the password. It's an extra layer of security for your account.

Joint accounts are ok, but only the primary can get the bonus, so we will wait a while before cross-putting each other as joint on the two accounts.

The fine print says:
If you’ve had a Savings product with Capital One 360 or ING DIRECT before, you won’t be eligible for the bonus.
So opening a joint account later for the bonus likely won't qualify since you already have a savings account from the first bonus.

Wow, with the bonus and 0.75% interest rate makes an effective rate of 4.4% for 105 days or so. (if my math and the offer are correct)

Beware the fine print:
If you’ve had a Savings product with Capital One 360 or ING DIRECT before, you won’t be eligible for the bonus.

So, i guess I'm out.

Last edited:
Wow, with the bonus and 0.75% interest rate makes an effective rate of 4.4% for 105 days or so. (if my math and the offer are correct)

Beware the fine print:

So, i guess I'm out.

Note that it says Capital One 360. You can qualify if you had a different Capone product, as we did.

We nabbed a $750 bonus earlier this year...and some smaller ones a few years ago, such as a $250 IRA contribution. At this point we each have a checking and savings account, a brokerage account, and an IRA account and there is nowhere else to go unless we start signing up minors and pets.

'Twas good while it lasted.

Also, their customer service people are quite nice.

Amethyst

We nabbed a $750 bonus earlier this year...and some smaller ones a few years ago, such as a $250 IRA contribution. At this point we each have a checking and savings account, a brokerage account, and an IRA account and there is nowhere else to go unless we start signing up minors and pets.

'Twas good while it lasted.

Also, their customer service people are quite nice.

Amethyst

But do you have a CapOne360 account or some other flavor CapOne savings account? If not named CapOne 360 you should qualify. BTW, had the gal sign up this morning via the link I posted and CapOne stuck the extra $25 in her account as soon as she funded the account. My account shows two $20 referral bonus deposits today, I figure one for the gal and one from someone else on this board - so thank you mysterious stranger!

Sorry, I wasn't clear. With AMEX savings, you enter your user name, then they send a text to your cell phone with a code that you then enter into the field. Then you enter the password. It's an extra layer of security for your account.
That is two-factor authorization (2FA), as you said, for AMEX.
Found an interesting page that shows who supports what category of authorization.
https://twofactorauth.org/

Unfortunately, it's all Capone. Sorry, no referral bonus from the Amethyst cave!:D

But do you have a CapOne360 account or some other flavor CapOne savings account? If not named CapOne 360 you should qualify. BTW, had the gal sign up this morning via the link I posted and CapOne stuck the extra $25 in her account as soon as she funded the account. My account shows two $20 referral bonus deposits today, I figure one for the gal and one from someone else on this board - so thank you mysterious stranger!

Do I correctly assume you receive a 1099 for the bonus amount? Thanks.

You will get a 1099-INT for the bonus for every checking/savings acccount offer.

I wanted to chime in and say that in using this link,

https://home.capitalone360.com/referafriend?save=uTV2ngsGJH$E

between the bonus and referral fees from my husband, mother and daughter that we will earn a return of 4.609% on a $100,000 for 105 days. Thanks to the original poster. :dance:

I have a question about this bonus. Can I put $50,000 in in my name and $50,000 in my husband's name and get two bonuses? And for the referral bonus, could I use one of the links above for my deposit and then my husband uses my referral link so we both get the referral bonus?

Sent from my KFTHWA using Tapatalk

I have a question about this bonus. Can I put $50,000 in in my name and $50,000 in my husband's name and get two bonuses? And for the referral bonus, could I use one of the links above for my deposit and then my husband uses my referral link so we both get the referral bonus?

I am still waiting for my accounts to shake out, so I don't know the answer, you have until 7/31 to have your ducks in order.

A better plan may be set an account up than use your SO's referral for a $20 bonus.

Though not married (the last 37 years) this is exactly what we did. The plan after waiting a month or so is to put each other on as joint, after checking again to be sure it is kosher and we will still get the two bonus amounts. Perhaps as beneficiaries - we are strictly enjoined not to croak it till then.

The line between is not always bright, but factors in this context are typically:
Something you know (a password)
Something you have (a cell phone, an RSA device)
Something you are (a finger print)

Access to an email account is often accepted as an additional factor, and that's mostly something you know (a userid and password). Two things you know, for instance, doesn't equate to two factors. "Secret questions" do not add a factor, they are just weak passwords.

Does this capone bonus thing have a defined end-date? My current good rate was $50k and they dropped it to $25k, but didn't yet bother to fix that.

I have a question about this bonus. Can I put $50,000 in in my name and $50,000 in my husband's name and get two bonuses? And for the referral bonus, could I use one of the links above for my deposit and then my husband uses my referral link so we both get the referral bonus? Sent from my KFTHWA using Tapatalk

DH and I opened an account in each of our names after asking the bank directly if we each would receive the bonus and the answer was yes. We were told that "the primary account holder" is entitled to one bonus if they are a new account holder to the bank( no other savings accounts at CAP One 360-apparently previously owned by ING). And yes the second of the accounts that you open will earn you and your DH a bonus( 20 to the referee and 25 to the referee). Just make sure you click the Refer a friend link after you open the first account and send that link to your DH. Click on that link to open the second account. I then asked if I could add my husband as an additional owner(that link shows up on the account page once the account is open). The answer was, wait a few days to make sure that the accounts are fully opened and then add the second owner, so we can each be a second owner on each other's accounts. Not certain if we will take that step, or just leave in our names individually for the 100 days and then close both accounts.

Have people gotten their bonus? It's been over 90 days for me (account funded June 26). I see a $25 "Account Opening Bonus". No $500 bonus, just interest payments of ~$30-31/month on $50K. Just wondering what others have seen before I contact their customer service.

Back
Top Bottom