Car Insurance Liability

I have been carrying Med Pay instead of UMBI because the Med Pay did not require determination of fault. Is that a crazy choice?

Med Pay and UMBI are 2 different coverages. While there is some overlap in what they cover, there are many differences, too. Med Pay covers you and your car's occupants for medical bills if you are in an accident, regardless of fault. It would also cover you in single-car accidents. UMBI, or Uninsured Motorists Bodily Injury, covers you and your car's occupants in case you are in a multi-car accident and the other driver is at fault and lacks any insurance. UMBI will also pay for non-medical damages including non-economic damages (i.e. pain and suffering). In my years of working in the personal auto insurance industry, most policies had both coverages (or, if the state allowed No-Fault, that coverage instead of Med Pay).

Med Pay and UMBI are 2 different coverages. While there is some overlap in what they cover, there are many differences, too. Med Pay covers you and your car's occupants for medical bills if you are in an accident, regardless of fault. It would also cover you in single-car accidents. UMBI, or Uninsured Motorists Bodily Injury, covers you and your car's occupants in case you are in a multi-car accident and the other driver is at fault and lacks any insurance. UMBI will also pay for non-medical damages including non-economic damages (i.e. pain and suffering). In my years of working in the personal auto insurance industry, most policies had both coverages (or, if the state allowed No-Fault, that coverage instead of Med Pay).

Pain and suffering is paying Florida auto insurance rates! Yes, I realized it was only for direct medical costs but it seemed like it might be more flexible where the other party is at fault but their insurance company is taking their sweet time sending money for medical costs. AND it covers UM situations.

When you're referring to $100/300, you're talking about Bodily Injury liability coverage limits per person/per occurrence?

This thread has made me check up on what I have.

When you're referring to $100/300, you're talking about Bodily Injury liability coverage limits per person/per occurrence?

This thread has made me check up on what I have.

That is what I consider it to be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For questions like this one, it's well to remember that 50% of the population is below average for any given trait. Yet, they still buy stuff. And vote.

Amethyst

What is so hard with paying your bills on time and not maxing out your credit cards?

Med Pay and UMBI are 2 different coverages. While there is some overlap in what they cover, there are many differences, too. Med Pay covers you and your car's occupants for medical bills if you are in an accident, regardless of fault.

Med Pay limits are also pretty low. The idea is that for minor injuries, you can offer something to the injured party without involving lawyers or courts and figuring out who was at fault.

There's a similar coverage in Homeowners. A couple of summers ago, we had a pool party for the church youth group and after being told for the 5th time not to jump off the side of the diving board, our priest's stubborn 5-year old son did it when no one was looking, grazed the back of his head against the board, and was driven screaming and bleeding off to the ER. (I should add that we're Episcopalian and our priests frequently have kids!) He was fixed with a few staples and I offered later to cover any deductible or other out-of-pocket expenses they had. They thanked me and said it wasn't necessary, but that's the kind of thing Med Pay would cover.

Back
Top Bottom