Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-13-2019, 07:51 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This thread got me thinking about a Z4 M. Thanks DTAIL
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2019, 08:13 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here’s a 2018 VW GTI review from Redline - guy does a lot of reviews and covers a lot of ground quickly. When he smiles and laughs he is having fun with speed and handling ...this is with the DSG (dual clutch manumatic) ... my son has one and it is incredibly fast, fun to drive, gets great fuel mileage, doesn’t require premium fuel, very comfortable, almost unnoticeable torque steer, can carry 4-5 folks, furniture, lots of luggage ... and, does not have the samurai look of the latest batch of Japanese boy racer cars.

A gray one is virtually unnoticeable on the highway ��
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:30 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
A gray one is virtually unnoticeable on the highway ��
That's what we have. If you want to be noticed, don't get one of these. This is a car to enjoy, not to show off in.

One last thing, if you are tall this is a good car to have. Both DS and I are 6' 6" and have plenty of head room in this car.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:25 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
This thread got me thinking about a Z4 M. Thanks DTAIL
Go for it. We love it and drive all over FLA in it.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:43 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post

A little more info - I am 6 ft tall. I'm not all that interested in a topless car, but if a screaming deal presented itself, being a convertible probably wouldn't prevent a sale.

Lots of recommendations for the Miata...I shy away from them a bit because of the go-cart comparisons. I'd prefer something a little more substantial.
If you're not really interested in top down driving, I wouldn't get a Miata.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:18 PM   #66

We had a brand new Jetta few years ago and I will say it was the worse car we ever bought . Believe it or not the door chime played coo coo caratcha . Also the Tail pipe fell off at 26K miles Ok we lived in Houston on paved streets . The dealer told us normal wear and tear . He wanted 1100. 00 our cost to fix it without his help it was 1900.00 . We went to a muffler shop paid 80.00 . Maybe we had a Lemon but DW dumped that car for an Acura a MUCH better car.

Just my worthless opinion VW and the rest of the Euro cars want to make you think they are better so you pay more and accept you have to pay more for maintenance . Give me the new Civic .
To buy a BMW or Mercedes ( used ) go to Baton Rouge . There is a Volvo dealer that has tons of rental returns . At the New car show he was begging people to buy one . These are cars back from lease. 85% of the new BMW and Mercedes on the road are rental and the returns are filling up lots.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:20 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

I love Porsche since I started driving but it was never a priority until recently so I rewarded myself with this 2019 Targa 4GTS before my retirement this July .IMG_0643.JPG

with your price range you might have to stick with 996 year- 911 model(1998-2004) if you can live with the egg drop headlights and make sure they upgraded the IMS bearing or else budget in 2k to fix it and don't wait to fix it.
targatom2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:22 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I personally would be looking for a Corvette. Of course 25k isn't a lot of money but you should be able to get a decent C6 (2005-2013) for that. Of course any older sports car (or any older car for that matter) comes with higher maintenance risks/cost.
can get a convertible ss camaro for under 25k easily
Old 05-13-2019, 02:22 PM   #69

Breedlove,

What year was the Jetta - would like to avoid that one!
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:23 PM   #70
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipertom1970 View Post
I love Porsche since I started driving but it was never a priority until recently so I rewarded myself with this 2019 Targa 4GTS before my retirement this July .Attachment 31504
Beautiful ride. Drive it and enjoy! Tomorrow is not guaranteed.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:25 PM   #71

You can probably get a 6Cyl manual Camaro under 25K. Don't know what they badge that car as Camaros , Mustangs and Challenger base models are being pushed out cheaply.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:28 PM   #72

That Jetta was a 2007 . Please don't take it personal it was junk !
Old 05-13-2019, 03:14 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
can get a convertible ss camaro for under 25k easily
You should be able to get a decent C6 convertible for 25k too. Of course you get what you pay for and buying any used sports car is a bit of a crap shoot. But, I've had my days with flashy sports cars. (they are cop magnets) I prefer something much more comfortable, stealthier and quicker these days.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:58 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
You should be able to get a decent C6 convertible for 25k too. Of course you get what you pay for and buying any used sports car is a bit of a crap shoot. But, I've had my days with flashy sports cars. (they are cop magnets) I prefer something much more comfortable, stealthier and quicker these days.
I've seen 2016 and 2017 1SS convertibles go for around 25K. I was thinking of something newer than a C6?
Old 05-13-2019, 05:48 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

I've been reading this post closely. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment as my toy car for retirement is a Jaguar XK8 convertible. Its hard to imagine that it cost about $35K more than a Corvette when new. You can buy'em cheap used with low mileage.

And the Jags are a fabulous ride--when they're running. The trick is figuring out their quirks and how to deal with modern electronic modules. Jaguar engineers like to make repairs complicated.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:24 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipertom1970 View Post
I love Porsche since I started driving but it was never a priority until recently so I rewarded myself with this 2019 Targa 4GTS before my retirement this July .Attachment 31504

with your price range you might have to stick with 996 year- 911 model(1998-2004) if you can live with the egg drop headlights and make sure they upgraded the IMS bearing or else budget in 2k to fix it and don't wait to fix it.

That's a beauty! Slightly more than $25k though. Lol.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:30 PM   #77

Get your ticket , this weekend in Indy. Probably pick this up for 12K For the Jag Fans

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0519-36...r-convertible/
Old 05-13-2019, 06:35 PM   #78

Anyone remember the old Datsun 510 back in the 1970s that beat all of the Alpha Romeos and BMW . The guys entered the Trans Am circuit 2 races late and still whupped up . To buy one of those little cars today is well over 10K . I think brand new were like 1795.00
Old 05-13-2019, 06:40 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
If you can find one in good shape - Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce. Classic vehicle.

Uh yeah right. That’s a serious classic, not a toy! I love these but the spyder seems to be more popular. Alfa’s require commitment.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:45 PM   #80

Toyota 86? Light weight. I might choose the Mazda RX8 over the 86. Had the RX8, and it was an amazing car, handling-wise. Comfortable, stable, incredible braking...but it's FWD, and drips oil out the tail pipe.

Or a Subaru WRX? Or Nissan 350Z?