Careers vanish after subprime freefall

JustCurious

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Careers vanish after subprime freefall...couple makes "cutbacks"

Subprime vets saw their industry, finances vanish in a flash - Mar. 31, 2008

"Their home equity line, mortgage, health and life insurance premiums alone cost about $10,000 a month. Still, they are trying to hang onto what they call their dream home with a view of the Pacific Ocean where they live with Mysti's 11-year old son.

Kent estimates the mountainside home in San Clemente, Calif., which they bought in 2005, is worth 20% less than it was a year ago. And in the current market, he said he's not sure he could sell it for even that amount.
"We've used up most of our reserves, cashed in her 401K," said Kent. "We're going Mach 1 into a wall. When we run into it, then we've got to decide what to do next."

Despite their financial problems, the Copes have worked hard to protect their credit rating, staying current on bills. And they've made cutbacks: trading in Kent's Corvette for a Suburban and getting rid of the gardener, for example. But the couple also has learned that it didn't need everything it used to spend money on."

I'm glad to see that he decided to get frugal and get a Suburban. :rolleyes:

Edited to Add: A base model Suburban costs $41,870, without any options, and without the destination charge, and it gets 14 miles per gallon. It really never ceases to amaze me what some people consider to be "cutting back."

Last edited:
OMFG!!! That was funny... I needed that..... thanks... :)

I'm glad to see that he decided to get frugal and get a Suburban. :rolleyes:

Edited to Add: A base model Suburban costs $41,870, without any options, and without the destination charge, and it gets 14 miles per gallon. It really never ceases to amaze me what some people consider to be "cutting back."

Amazing! Depending on how old his Corvette was and what shape it was in, the Suburban might even be worth more than the Corvette.

Amazing! Depending on how old his Corvette was and what shape it was in, the Suburban might even be worth more than the Corvette.

I know you will be shocked, but you can get a used Suburban VERY cheaply.

I know you will be shocked, but you can get a used Suburban VERY cheaply.

Last week, a friend of mine bought a 2003 Escalade with 52,000 miles for $17000..........:eek::eek::eek:

These people seem to be stuck on the easy part of today's quiz, what's going to happen.

Maybe they need a little clue, perhaps a little tune will do.

Jingle Mail
Jingle Mail
Jingle all the way
Oh what fun it is to sleep in a soon to be repoed Chevrolet

Life is so hard. sniff, sniff

What's a guy to do without a Corvette?

Could you imagine knowing that you needed to constantly generate the take-home pay to cover $10k/month in insurance and debt service backed by your house? And that's before home maintenance, food, gas, etc.

Wow x 3.

tiuxiu, no, I could not imagine that. But I know of someone personally who is in a similar situation, and they are in real estate sales. They know that I can "afford" a mortgage to buy a bigger home than my current modest starter home, and they are surprised that I haven't "upgraded." I think I will get the last laugh before long. This thing will get uglier for many people before it gets better.

Those two are idiots. They had to have had their own heads in the sand to be in the business and not seen this coming. Their financial acuity is illustrated by the husband talking about going through the wife's 401K. Idiots.

He probably lost a bundle on the trade-in. A newer Vette and Suburban are about the same value. They probably should have sold the Vette, got a Hyundai or Kia and put the cash in the bank. These people are so stupid, it's only a matter of time before they lose everything they own.

Could you imagine knowing that you needed to constantly generate the take-home pay to cover $10k/month in insurance and debt service backed by your house? And that's before home maintenance, food, gas, etc.

Wow x 3.

Well... it's all relative. Having $10K/month in insurance and debt payments is not my cup of tea, but to each it own...

I am with Bestwifeever, they are idiots for thinking this could never happen (especially since they were working in the same industry)!

Those two are idiots. They had to have had their own heads in the sand to be in the business and not seen this coming. Their financial acuity is illustrated by the husband talking about going through the wife's 401K. Idiots.

They should have allowed for a possibility this would happen and have some type of fall back plan. Saying, "We're going Mach 1 into a wall. When we run into it, then we've got to decide what to do next" clearly indicates they never had a plan and, what's even worse, they have put no effort to come up with one within the last 12 months once the layoffs started (she got laid off last year).

they are trying to hang onto what they call their dream home with a view of the Pacific Ocean where they live ..

Is it on the market? San Clemente is a nice place to live in terms of climate.

My brother knows someone who runs an auto auction company, the kind that buy/resell used or repo cars to auto dealers.

He says they have almost twice the inventory they usually have, with lots of big new pickups, SUV's, ego cars.

He says they also are now seeing lots of boats, ATV's, RV's coming in, a significant portion of which are repos.

He says you'd have to be an idiot to buy a new car now as there are so many newer, lo-mileage cars coming onto the secondary market. However, there don't seem to be many Priuses coming in.

My brother knows someone who runs an auto auction company, the kind that buy/resell used or repo cars to auto dealers.

He says they have almost twice the inventory they usually have, with lots of big new pickups, SUV's, ego cars.

He says they also are now seeing lots of boats, ATV's, RV's coming in, a significant portion of which are repos.

He says you'd have to be an idiot to buy a new car now as there are so many newer, lo-mileage cars coming onto the secondary market. However, there don't seem to be many Priuses coming in.

These large inventories of used cars are also driving down the price of new cars. Except for Priuses.

See these are the times if you were fiscally responsible to in a way take advantage of those who were not. Cheaper car prices, housing and stocks to name a few.

See these are the times if you were fiscally responsible to in a way take advantage of those who were not. Cheaper car prices, housing and stocks to name a few.

Reminds me of something I read recently. "A recession is when wealth returns to it's rightful owners."

Im waiting to see what tricks Warren B has up his sleeves for this little down turn.

Back
Top Bottom