Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-31-2008, 07:22 PM   #41
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Obviously, I have much to learn about spending money!!!

I spent $21 yesterday on frivolous things, though! I bought a $17 drawing and a $4 lace tablecloth at an antique shop. It's creeping in.... today, $21, tomorrow, $187,200, I suppose.
I'm sure there are folks out there willing to help you (us?) spend money (for a small fee).

Today I bought a keychain pocket knife/bottle opener and a mini-camera; $30 (minus a $25 gift card).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2008, 07:23 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
It is amazing to me that someone would continue to spend at a rate of 187,200 per year without any job and no backup and eat through the 401. Mach 1 collisions are very painful but suicidal if you see it well in advance and do nothing to avoid.
Spend $187,200 per year? That would require a lot of work. Work? Can't do that, I'm FIREd.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:28 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A854321 View Post
It doesn't sound like either of them actually understood the business they were in.

How can you possibly rack up $10K a month expenses? Oh, yeah- mortgage in excess of conservative financial recommendations, the ever-dangerous home equity loan, evidently horrible taxes.

They truly are stupid and deserve what they get. They really don't have a clue, do they?
No, they don't have a clue. I'm totally amazed how they can broadcast their stupidity over the internet like it's just something that happens.

But I do like their party-on attitude at full speed as the Titantic slips below the waves. Strike up the band maestro.
UncleHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:30 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I'm sure there are folks out there willing to help you (us?) spend money (for a small fee).

Today I bought a keychain pocket knife/bottle opener and a mini-camera; $30 (minus a $25 gift card).
For a moment I thought you had out-spent me! But with the gift card, you only spent $5.

I think we probably have more fun than those folks do, anyway.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:52 PM   #45

How many FIREd people (from this forum) would $187,200 support per year? :confused:
Old 03-31-2008, 07:55 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
How many FIREd people (from this forum) would $187,200 support per year? :confused:
That would last us a bit over 4 years.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:58 PM   #47
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
I spend less than $30K/year - ~6 years.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:46 PM   #48

Quote:
Kent estimates the mountainside home in San Clemente, Calif., which they bought in 2005, is worth 20% less than it was a year ago. And in the current market, he said he's not sure he could sell it for even that amount.
What kind of estimate is that? Surely the house is worth whatever the market will pay: no less, and certainly no more.

Quote:
"We've used up most of our reserves, cashed in her 401K," said Kent."We're going Mach 1 into a wall. When we run into it, then we've got to decide what to do next."
Again, this is nonsensical. When they have burned through the rest of their reserves (won't be long now!), they won't have any options and there won't be any decisisions to make.

I can't even begin to relate to that sort of irresponsibility fatalism.

Quote:
Since he lost his job, Kent has gotten a real estate license and is trying to start a business selling the rapidly increasing inventory of foreclosed homes in Orange County, Calif. ... The Copes are just two of many in Orange County, formerly the center of the nation's subprime lending industry, now trying to move on. Nearly 9,000 jobs have been lost there in the past year
Smart move, Kent. You're out of work because the inflated real estate market is tanking, so you decide to pursue a sales job in the same industry, in a depressed region. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Im waiting to see what tricks Warren B has up his sleeves for this little down turn.
According to today's issue of Fortune (page 14), he recently paid cash for a Cadillac DTS.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:49 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
According to today's issue of Fortune (page 14), he recently paid cash for a Cadillac DTS.
Well, at least he can afford it.

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:52 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There's probably some lint mixed in with that pocket change...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:01 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

I kind of feel sorry for those people because both of them losing their job at the same time must be very stressful. But the fact that they realize they are heading full speed toward a wall yet don't seem willing to seriously cutback on their expenses (I don't consider exchanging a corvette for a suburban much of a cutback) is shocking to me. If I were in this situation, I would go into survival mode, count every penny and make sure that my savings last as long as possible.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:11 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I kind of feel sorry for those people because both of them losing their job at the same time must be very stressful. But the fact that they realize they are heading full speed toward a wall yet don't seem willing to seriously cutback on their expenses (I don't consider exchanging a corvette for a suburban much of a cutback) is shocking to me. If I were in this situation, I would go into survival mode, count every penny and make sure that my savings last as long as possible.
And before I even thought of touching my 401K, I'd be renting out rooms in that McMansion, taking in laundry, tutoring, and doing everything else I could think of between filling out job applications.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:23 PM   #53

I especially liked how they cashed out "her" 401k. What a caring dude. Let's see he's 59 and she's 37....I won't go there.

I also liked how she felt working for the No.2 "subprime" lender in the nation should have provided security in her job. No.2 subprime lender, now that's something to be proud of.

Dopes I say, who cares. Think instead of the poor suckers they ripped. Oh sh*t, I pay taxes, that's me!
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:25 PM   #54

Quote:
And before I even thought of touching my 401K, I'd be renting out rooms in that McMansion, taking in laundry, tutoring, and doing everything else I could think of between filling out job applications.
Indeed. That's probably why you will never be in their position.

Regarding WB, the same Fortune column notes that he has a poor credit rating(!)

Quote:
When the Berkshire Hathaway CEO recently checked his credit history, his FICO score in one report was 718, slightly below the U.S. median.
The magazine suggests that this may be a case of mistaken identity.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:32 PM   #55

Quote:
Regarding WB, the same Fortune column notes that he has a poor credit rating(!)

The magazine suggests that this may be a case of mistaken identity.
Sometimes people who don't use credit cards can have lower credit scores because of a lack of credit history--a case in which one is punished for spending responsibly.
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:37 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

718 is poor? I dont think so. The scales I've seen say 680 to 720 is A+, but maybe they changed the scale? Fico doesnt care about net worth!
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:38 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Damn it, man. Now get out there and spend like a REAL American...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:11 PM   #58

Quote:
Isn't that amazing? I wonder if maybe there is more to this problem than the article lets on. It would probably take real effort to spend $187,200/year.
Not as much effort as one would think.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:20 PM   #59

Quote:
Obviously, I have much to learn about spending money!!!

I spent $21 yesterday on frivolous things, though! I bought a $17 drawing and a $4 lace style tablecloth at an antique shop. It's creeping in.... today, $21, tomorrow, $187,200, I suppose.
hmmm W2R, with your new baseline, I think you need to take out your ss and recalculate.
Unless you are planning on leaving a bundle to your family or cat you need to open up a bit and enjoy. Maybe if you see the numbers that will help you get over your overly obsessive LBYM habits. You seem to be taking it to extremes. Just an observation.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:28 AM   #60

Gosh, I thought I was in with a bunch of big spenders here. You guys are pikers compared to me. I went shopping for some lumber yesterday, came home with three sheets of plywood, three sheets of furniture grade, veneer core, good two sides, mahogany plywood. Only $125/sheet, plus tax.

Let's get with it folks, you're falling behind. You got a long way to go get to $187K.
UncleHoney is offline   Reply With Quote