Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Cars
Old 10-08-2004, 08:01 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
And a very cool ride to boot Mikey
Thanks, man. *It's an awesome car... excpet that it's Black. *I HATE Black. *What a nightmare for us anal retentives.

I'm a GM guy through and through. *Haven't had bad luck so far, and old habits die hard. *This habit may never die. :-/

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2004, 09:00 AM   #22

For years I have owned only white vehicles. They don't
show the dirt and when washed, no drying required as
they don't show the streaks. I doubt I will ever own another color.

John Galt
Old 10-08-2004, 10:14 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Yikes.

Quote:
Don't try to put 10 sheets of 1/2" plywood on top of a Taurus Wagon.
I'm glad I read that AFTER we hauled the mattress/box spring!

Hey, you can't be unhappy with a car whose tailgate is exactly the dimensions of a 4'x8' piece of wallboard/plywood. Well, almost exactly. Close enough, anyway.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 10:52 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Once again, we discover the many uses of a 5lb ball peen hammer.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 11:51 AM   #25

White Cars.??..We have Grey Dirt here and it shows...
Old 10-08-2004, 04:48 PM   #26

I had not washed my truck for a month. Stopped for
lunch with my Dad, who opined "Man, that truck looks sharp!" My motorcycle is black, but I can wipe it dry in minutes.

John Galt
Old 10-08-2004, 05:10 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
For years I have owned only white vehicles. *They don't
show the dirt and when washed, no drying required as
they don't show the streaks. *I doubt I will ever own another color.

John Galt
Well, Arizona dirt must be different. All my cars are white . . . and dirty. When the summer temps are regularly well over 110 degrees, a white car stays cooler and the paint holds up better. Plus, you can seriously burn yourself on a dark car that's been sitting in a parking lot under direct sun for several hours.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:18 PM   #28

Here in Minnesota the Silver color Outside with a Black interior is best. The Silver does not show dirt and the Black interior does not show dirt as much as a lighter color.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:14 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I saw an absolutely beautiful Porsche 944 today. It was white, and the ugly black trim/spoiler that the white ones have had been painted over or removed.

These cars are good, and if kept nice I think they often appreciate, rather than depreciate.

Did I say I want one?

Mikey
Old 10-08-2004, 07:51 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

My car is coming up on ten years old. I keep meaning to get something else with a bit more space, and I'm always looking, but my old car is reliable and gets 33mpg in city/highway.

I figure in a few years we'll see more fuel efficient cars, what with gas prices and people tired of monster SUVs.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:48 PM   #31

Our vehicles are 13 and 7 years old. Every so often
I think about updating, but I can't do it without some
boot (cash). As someone said, "He would rather eat
his children than spend money, and he loves his children!" BTW, I wouldn't count on cheap gas or the
end of the SUV love affair any time soon.

John Galt
Old 10-09-2004, 02:51 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
BTW, I wouldn't count on cheap gas or the
end of the SUV love affair any time soon.
Have you seen the SUV sales numbers lately? Dropping like a rock - especially the big ones.

The mini-SUVs - RAV-4s and the like - are still selling well.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:54 PM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a 1998 Honda Odyssey with 50,000 miles that I bought new 5 years ago. It is the older style with the car door style doors, not the sliding ones. I was thinking of buying a new Subaru Outback so I would have a smaller car, my kids rarely drive with me as they have their own cars now.

But after thinking seriously about it, I should just keep the van. Even though I'm tired of driving a van, it comes in handy when I need to haul things like landscaping plants, etc. I guess going to a smaller car would be a want, not a need. I'll think about it.
Old 10-10-2004, 05:03 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Next week - doing the paperwork so I can drive the 'step daughter in spare room's' little 4 banger GMC pickup vs our 6 - Silverado to take advantage of the gas milage since her bum foot is going to take a while to rehab. Remains to be seen whether that's an improvement or a wash - budget wise.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:00 AM   #35

I noticed an article about mileage ratings. Not sure
how many vehicles they checked. Anyway, mine came in
dead last. Big Dodge Ram pickup with the largest V-8.
What can I say? I like to haul stuff.

John Galt
Old 10-10-2004, 06:11 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not a car nut like some of you, but we do have too many cars. The youngest is 1992 Accord stationwagon (mine) because my mother-in-law wanted a Prius, and the Accord only had 45,000 miles on it. So she sold it to me for $50. Can't pass up a deal like that.

The others are my 1988 Acura Integra, which I love dearly inspite of its rust - 145,000 miles, and my husband's two Audi's - 1984, 1985 - 200,000+ miles and something like 185,000 - don't know because the odometer doesn't work and isn't worth fixing.

I know I should get rid of my Integra, but it isn't worth anything, and it makes me too sad when I think of it.

arrete

Old 10-10-2004, 06:17 AM   #37

In the gas crunch of the seventies I remember selling two gas hogs. A 1971 Chrysler New Yorker complete with 440 and a 71 Dodge Charger 383 magnum. I should have parked the Charger in the Barn and I would have had a good assett appreciation. I now have a 77 Chrysler Cordoba T top as a toy and I thnk it will go when I retire. Driving a 95 Lumina and may be switching to an S10 4 cyl

Unclemick LEt me know how you like the 4 cyl pickup.

I still miss that Charger. Drove a 70 440 last summer and I felt right at home

Thanks
Bruce
Old 10-10-2004, 11:55 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi to all,

I would like to echo an earlier post regarding the reliability and value in Japanese vehicles. We have been
buying and driving these for years, and particularly the
Toyota line. I would have to say that the Toyota Corolla and the Toyota small pickup are two of the best buys in
vehicles around. My best buy ever:

1986 Toyota 1/2 ton with 22R motor bought
in 1992 for $2500 + $500 add on (rear bumper,bedliner)
driven 10 years with virtually nothing other than oil changes, and still sold for $1250 in one day.
Now thats cheap transportion..a bit no frills, but reliable and inexpensive. Sunset magazine out here in the west used to run an ad with Toyota p/u owners and their p/u's with 2,3,4,5 hundred thousand miles and more on these vehicles.

I guess the point could be, buy quality used, take care of them, drive them till they drop, and they still will be worth something toward your next used rig!

I am sorry to say that I have just not had great luck with
Chevs,Dodges, and others.

gwix
Old 10-16-2004, 12:57 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Does this CARS thread have any life left in it? I have a car dilemma.

I had an accident and bought a new minivan last year. I was shopping for a used one, and stumbled across a 2002 with only 4,000 miles on it. (This was in 2003.) I bought it.

Two things have happened. My daughter is away at prep school, so the number of days I spend driving her to faraway destinations with her HUGE hockey bag and goalie pads and big stick have been dramatically reduced. And there are no more days of driving both goalies, which really did require an awful lot of room.

#2 - The van is much bigger than my last one, and I think its size is just over some sort of critical mass limit for me. I can't drive it right. It seats 8, is at least 1 1/2 feet longer than my old van, and wider. TWICE I have scraped the right side of it against something, so it now needs body work. I usually have to pull back out of a parking space for a second try. I hate driving it. And I really hate parking it.

It was my intention to buy it, maintain it, and keep it until it dropped dead of natural causes. But I hate it. I want a RAV-4 or Honda CR-V. I feel a strong need to be up high, largely because from the height in my minivans I can see well enough to pull out of my own street, and that's just not true from a car. (People can park on the street I'm entering, right up to the corner.)

I'm leaning toward selling this van while it is still a low-mileage vehicle and buying a used CR-V (if one can be found) or (2nd choice) RAV-4. I demand good gas mileage now that I don't need so much space, and I also need to be up high. But I detest the idea of getting rid of a car 1 1/2 years after I bought it. It seems like a stupid move, financially. Anybody want to weigh in?

Anne
Old 10-16-2004, 02:02 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

If you hate it as much as you say you do, then get rid of it now. You should drive something you're comfortable in. I hear good things about both of the cars you are looking at. You might also want to look at the Subaru Forester, although it's not as high (but is higher than a normal car).