Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Cars - A Basic Calculation
Old 01-03-2005, 08:50 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

We've only had one new car in 20 years of being married, a 2000 Ford Focus (most recalled car in america). Previously all our cars were acquired from family members at about 80000 miles and kept until about 130000 miles. Currently we have the Focus plus my 1985 f-150 pickup, fondly known as the "deathtrap". The nice thing about beater cars is liability only insurance and no worry about door dings. The bad thing is the 100lbs. of tools in the trunk so you can repair on the side of the road. And I can't hardly work on cars newer than 1978. I've debated if the best choice for me is to by new or almost new base models, which become the second car at about 80000 miles.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2005, 09:32 AM   #42

It's a real disadvantage in ER not being at all handy.
I used to hire everything out, but the budget would
be busted if I did that now. I have very little mechanical
ability
even though my Dad, son and only brother seem so blessed. The cars just add to my angst. Currently
we have 206,000 miles on one and 148,000 miles on the other. I can install a battery or change a bulb. That's about it. And, I changed my last tire about 25 years ago. No more of that either. The upside is that it saves
a lot of my time for other stuff. As Clint Eastwood
said "A man's got to know his limitations."

JG
Old 01-03-2005, 09:38 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

JG, my favorite car was a Fiat Spider. Looked at Miatas, but they are too small for me. I have recently decided to find a recent model substitute convertible to consider buying later this year. The Mustang is a bit cramped...perhaps I'll check out the Mitsubishi Spider or a BMW convertible...

Or maybe I'll get an old Fiat. Off to eBay to check prices...
Old 01-03-2005, 10:13 AM   #44

Hey BigMoneyJim.............I am surprised to hear your
fav. was the FIAT Spyder. I bought it for my daughter,
but I drove it a lot. It was fun to drive and a real
head turner (ours was bright orange, plates said
SNKIST), but it spent about as much time in the shop as
it did on the road. The first time I took it in the mechanic says
"Do you know what FIAT stands for?" I said no.
He says, "Fix It Again Tony!" I thought that was cute.
Turned out to be true. In fact, I would say that it was
the most maintenance intensive car I ever owned.
Sure was fun to drive though.

JG
Old 01-03-2005, 11:05 AM   #45

JG, I did get comments from several guys that it was a "girl's car". I suppose a phallic Z car would've been more macho, but I was never one to succumb to peer pressure, especially when it conflicted with my own enjoyment. Come to think of it, I think even my Dad said something about the femininity of that Fiat...yet he drove one daily when I was a kid. Go figure.

I owned the car for 3 years, but it was only drivable 6 month total out of that time, the rest spend in the back yard with a broken crossmember. But it was fun, fun, fun to drive when it drove. And mine was bright red.

Aside from the broken crossmember I was able to maintain it myself. It had issues, but it wasn't too bad. I recall the starter went out, but I didn't fix it for two seeks because I could open the door, kick with my foot to get rolling and pop the clutch to start it! Yes, I kick-started my Fiat. In forward or reverse--it didn't matter how I parked.

I think this is the thread where I mentioned my fun car. The Fiat was it. I sold it for what I bought it for, and as much trouble as I had I didn't really put a lot of money into it. The crossmember fix was much, much cheaper than I had imagined and would have fixed it sooner if I had known.

By the way, the eBay prices are all over the place. I bet parts are really hard to find these days. They quit importing the Spider somewhere between 1982 and 1985. And here in Indiana I would wory about rust on a car such as this that would be hard to fix or replace.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:05 PM   #46

Well, BigMoneyJim, your comment about a "Phallic Z car"
reminded me of a story. Once when my daughter's FIAT
was in the shop (the normal situation), I decided she needed something to drive (what a Dad! Right kiddies?) Anyway, I bought a small Chevy with a big
V8 from my son. I forget the model, but certainly
heavy on the testosterone. My daughter did not like
driving it. It was so torquey that you could break the tires loose on bare pavement if you were not careful, and it was loud. She was happy to get her FIAT back.
I have no idea what I did with the Chevy.

JG
Old 01-04-2005, 10:11 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Dumb question on buying new cars...

I haven't bought a new car since 1981 and I can't explain the answer to a seemingly simple question: How do dealers work the new car deals these days with loans and rebates?

Say that a $20K vehicle negotiation results in a $5K rebate and a zero-interest loan. Do you set up a zero-interest loan payment on the $20K amount and then get handed a $5000 rebate when you pick up the car? Or is the $5K rebate factored into the $20K price and the loan amortized on a $15K balance?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 06:48 AM   #48

I think they offer you the choice of cash back or apply to loan, but it's been a few years since I've been in a dealer's office, and I wasn't really shopping for new at the time. (That didn't stop them from trying to sell me new, of course...)
Old 01-05-2005, 10:43 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Along the finance lines, do you know someone who does not even know how much they paid for the car/truck or for how long , they only know how much per month. I know people like that, scary huh? shredder

Now that I think of it, one of them is my wife!!
Old 01-05-2005, 11:23 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Re: Dumb question on buying new cars...

Quote:
...Say that a $20K vehicle negotiation results in a $5K rebate and a zero-interest loan. *Do you set up a zero-interest loan payment on the $20K amount and then get handed a $5000 rebate when you pick up the car
Nords, I may be mistaken but all of the deals I hear about are either the rebate or the financing, but not both. *

It slays me to talk to dealers when it comes to buying a ride. *They never want it cut and dried. *They want to jockey either the price of the trade-in or the price of the car you want to buy, or both. *They never want to talk 'on the road' price. *I love to hear people say "Yeah, it was great, they gave me 5 grand for my Vega, with the floorboards rusted through and a rod knocking..."

Yikes...
Old 01-05-2005, 11:47 AM   #51

Hello bow-tie. I expect no one will be surprised that I just love to negotiate and dicker. I do it whenever I can
on practically everything. I hate those car dealers who
say the posted price is their only price. I enjoy matching wits with the seller. It's entertainment for me.

I may have told this story. I was buying a used Cadillac
and the negotiations were long and intense. When we got done the salesman said, "The next time I buy a car
I'm taking you with me!"

JG
Old 01-05-2005, 12:34 PM   #52

Quote:
. . .*When we got done the salesman said, "The next time I buy a car
I'm taking you with me!" * *

JG
Hi John,

While I'm sure you are an intense and effective negotiator, I think they say that to everyone.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:11 AM   #53

Quote:
...While I'm sure you are an intense and effective negotiator, I think they say that to everyone. *

Negotiation for that stuff gives me some type of sadistic pleasure. Drives my bride crazy when she has to listen to it. Oh well... I love to buy cars... it's parting with the $$ that kills me. So I guess I love to "shop" for cars.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:29 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I left after several hours of 'negotiations' on a new car. In the end, I think we both preferred keeping our money in our pocket over the new car smell.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:43 PM   #55

Quote:
My wife and I left after several hours of 'negotiations' on a new car. In the end, I think we both preferred keeping our money in our pocket over the new car smell.
I absolutely hate the car dealer dance...and refuse to do it anymore...last new car we bought (which probably will be the LAST new car we buy) I let my wife negotiate the whole deal over the internet...she figured out what she wanted, used one of the sites to sent quote requests to multiple dealers etc...got down to a real good price at a dealer, she went in to drive it and confirmed she wanted it...I just showed up one day and wrote the check...in and out in about 10 minutes. The guy says to me "don't you even want to see it?" what for, its not for me I said...and left. Thats how long I want to be in a new car dealership.

I haven't bought a completely new car for myself in the last 3 I bought...prefer the slightly used trucks myself.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:33 PM   #56

Quote:
...negotiate the whole deal over the internet...
This is how I buy new cars. I have three brothers in the car business. They tell me that most dealers prefer not to mess with folks who negotiate via email. They'd rather lose the sale than deal with people they view as a pain. So, when I email, I always promise the salesman:

--that I won't be a pain (I tell him I have brothers in the business)
--that I won't waste his time
--that I won't submit the offer to any other dealer for a week, to give him time to decide
--that if he accepts my offer, I won't go to another dealer in an effort to grind him down a few more dollars
--that I'll tell friends and family about him if we make a deal (and I do)
--that I will give him the highest rating on the manufacturer's satisfaction survey... these really matter to these guys
--that I will wait to make the deal until it is most advantageous for the salesman in terms of contests or quota's or whatever. I once waited until the end of the following month.

I check with one of my brothers to get very close to the dealer's actual cost (many of the incentives are hidden), and I add on around $300-$400 depending on the car. I bought my last three cars that way.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:55 PM   #57

Bob,

I also buy cars with e-mail. I give them an Excel spreadsheet with the Dealer Invoice Prices of the Car and options that I want. I have them fill in the profit and e-mail it back to me.

No waiting around in the Showroom any more
Old 01-10-2005, 08:59 AM   #58

Quote:
This is how I buy new cars. I have three brothers in the car business. They tell me that most dealers prefer not to mess with folks who negotiate via email...
Hey Bob.

I may be missing something, but why doesn't one of your brothers hook you up with the car you are looking for?
Old 01-10-2005, 01:26 PM   #59

Quote:
Hey Bob.

I may be missing something, but why doesn't one of your brothers hook you up with the car you are looking for?
They never have what I want. If they had been selling new Hondas, Toyotas, or Nissans, I would have bought directly from them. Actually, they agree with me, even though they sell competing makes.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:22 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

When I was in high school (circa 1978) a neighbor up the street had a dark purple Alfa Romeo in his garage. It looked nice. What he actually drove was a circa 1958 Chevy Biscayne, chalky white with rust. It always ran, the Alfa didn't.